Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 06:37 PM   #1
mroberts1204
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Question

I brewed a Strong Golden Belgian on the 23rd (so about 2 weeks ago). I forgot to get an OG but it had 9# DME and 1# Belgian Candi Sugar. So maybe 1.07-1.08? Anyway...for the past 3 days the gravity has been at 1.019. I was hoping to dry it out more...should I keep waiting or pitch more yeast or stir it up? The temp is at 76F currently. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
Benjibbad
Recipes 

was it a standard 5.5 gallon batch?? If so you are looking at about ~1.082 OG, in a perfect world. If so you are looking at about 8% alcohol now. Did you adjust your Hydrometer for the current temp of the beer? If you are at 76 and your hydrometer is calibrated for 60 your readings are going to be off. Sounds like you are at the high end of (+.002 for temp correction) the style guideline. If you are going for style you could try gently shaking your carboy to resuspend some of your yeast and then give it a few more days and then take another reading. But if you don't mind it being a little sweet you could bottle or transfer to a secondary, your choice. My suggestion would be resuspend the yeast and give it another week before you take another reading.

Primary 1: Cedrella Vanilla Porter
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Old 06-06-2009, 06:56 PM   #3
mroberts1204
Recipes 

Yep it was a full boil...5.5 gallons. Yes you're right, with the temperature correction for 76F the gravity is 1.021. I've heard that you should strive to dry out belgians as much as possible and I was going for a damnation style beer and vinny from russian river says he drys out his belgians as much as possible. So lightly shaking the carboy is my best bet for right now. If in a week it is still at 1.021 what can I do?

Old 06-06-2009, 07:06 PM   #4
Benjibbad
Recipes 

If it is still that high in a week, you could try pitching another batch of yeast and some nutrient. Maybe something a bit dryer like a nottingham or a lavlin champagne yeast. It shouldn't affect your flavor (noticably) by using these other yeast strains. Most of all RDWHAHB!!

Primary 1: Cedrella Vanilla Porter
Primary 2: Empty
Primary 3: Empty
Primary 4: Coastal Red
Primary 5: Empty
Secondary 1: Empty
Secondary 2: empty
Secondary 3: empty
Keg1: Cherry Lambic
Keg2: A-10 IIPA
Keg3: Crazy Cuban Monk (Cedrella infused Tripel)
Keg4: Kolsch weisen hybrid

Old 06-06-2009, 07:08 PM   #5
kontreren
Gluten Free Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroberts1204 View Post
...for the past 3 days the gravity has been at 1.019.
I'm not the expert but what the experts have told me is that if you get the same gravity reading 3 days in a row it is time. So bottle it, relax, and have a cold brew.

Thankx,
Jesse, Home and Gluten Free Brewer

Member, Forsyth Masonic Lodge #707
Member, Winston Salem WortHawgs Brew Club
Lifetime Member, NRA
Lifetime Supporter, Homebrewtalk.com

http://www.worthawgs.org

http://www.queensboro.com/ref/EBCMMMSCNNN

http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/kontreren

http://www.bellaonline.com/site/Beer

Old 06-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 375 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontreren View Post
I'm not the expert but what the experts have told me is that if you get the same gravity reading 3 days in a row it is time. So bottle it, relax, and have a cold brew.
Only if it holds for 3 days at or near your expected FG. If it's high, that means it could be stuck. Bottle it when it's stuck and it could easily become unstuck in the bottle and start assploding all over your kitchen.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 06-06-2009, 07:57 PM   #7
kontreren
Gluten Free Brewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Only if it holds for 3 days at or near your expected FG. If it's high, that means it could be stuck. Bottle it when it's stuck and it could easily become unstuck in the bottle and start assploding all over your kitchen.
Awesome to know. Thanks for the bonus explanation. I will apply this principle to my really, really, really high gravity Gluten Free brew that needs an extra yeast pitch and a lot less "thickness". Moving to the secondary was like watching "molasses in winter time".

Thankx,
Jesse, Home and Gluten Free Brewer

Member, Forsyth Masonic Lodge #707
Member, Winston Salem WortHawgs Brew Club
Lifetime Member, NRA
Lifetime Supporter, Homebrewtalk.com

http://www.worthawgs.org

http://www.queensboro.com/ref/EBCMMMSCNNN

http://iam.homebrewtalk.com/kontreren

http://www.bellaonline.com/site/Beer

Old 06-06-2009, 09:10 PM   #8
mroberts1204
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChshreCat View Post
Thanks for the advice. Assploding is bad...and a funny word. I'll give it a week holding it at about 76F. If it stays stuck at 1.02 I think the champagne yeast is a good idea. Do I need to change the temp for the champagne yeast (if it comes to that)?

Old 06-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #9
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I doubt you'll get much more attenuation, because you only had one pound of candi. Belgians that really dry out, have more candi or the mash is conducted to produce a highly-fermentable wort or both. Using DME puts a limit on what the yeast can do.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 06-07-2009, 09:40 PM   #10
mroberts1204
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
I doubt you'll get much more attenuation, because you only had one pound of candi. Belgians that really dry out, have more candi or the mash is conducted to produce a highly-fermentable wort or both. Using DME puts a limit on what the yeast can do.
Would adding some sugar now and pitching more yeast bring the gravity down more?

Quick Reply