New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > fermentation problems :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2006, 03:45 AM   #1
Monk
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default fermentation problems :(

Hi guys. I have a couple problems I'd love your advice on.

Problem 1: (not much of a problem) My belgian blonde ale is still happily bubbling (about 9-10 times a minute) after almost 2 weeks. It had an explosive begginning that made me install a blow-off tube on the 6.5 gallon carboy. I haven't transferred to secondary yet, cuz it's still chuggin along with a solid 1 inch of krausen. Any suggestions? Should I just let her ride?

Problem 2: Made a hefeweizen and pitched whitelabs yeast into 67 degree wort. Thought I might need a blowoff, so I put one on. But no activity for more than 24 hours. Then I shook it a bit, to maybe aerate (I'm a little worried it didn't get sufficiently aerated) and to resuspend the yeast. Within an hour it started bubbling, maybe 5 bpm. About 15 hours later, when I returned home, it was silent again. i warmed up the house to 72-73. It bubbled a little and I noticed it has some krausen. But still (after 3.5 days) not much action at all. I'm a bit bummed. I'm prepared to leave it there for a while, but I'd like to hear your view on it.

Thanks, guys. And girls, if there are any out there...

Monk

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-13-2006, 06:17 AM   #2
Chairman Cheyco
***DRAMATIZATION***
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

1: You got it, let her ride. When it's done, it's done.
2: Hmmm. Did you make a starter? Did you smack the pack and let it puff-up? How old was the yeast? Were you wearing sandals or shoes, and were there any socks involvced? More details please!

Once the wind has been broken, it cannot be fixed.

Old 04-13-2006, 06:19 AM   #3
Brewsmith

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 21 Posts

1. Same as above.
2. What's the gravity now? Check it. It may have fermented while you weren't looking.

Fermenting:#160 Apollo/Calypso Pale Ale
Kegged:#153 Old Helicon Barleywine 2013, #157 Irish Red, #158 Mosaic IPA, #159 Bravo/Delta ESB
Up Next:Brown Porter, American Stout, Imperial Stout
My Recipes
Tuba Sonata

Smith & Co. Custom Tap Handles

Quick Reply