Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Problem. Starter is Turning a Black Color???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Rich4756
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Problem. Starter is Turning a Black Color???

Hey guys so I'm making the Welch's Grape Juice Wine from the recipe I found on here. This was my process:

1) Pour required grape juice concentrate in carboy.
2) Add yeast nutrient
3) Add required sugar water
4) Top off to 4 gallons with water
5) Add pectin enzyme
6) Make starter (pour some of this grape juice solution into a cup and mix in yeast

And my starter is turning a black color. I initially put a packet of yeast (I'm using Red Star Cote des Blancs) in the carboy buy I seen no fermentation after 1 day. So then I tried to make a starter and start the yeast in this grape juice solution in another cup. All the yeast is doing is turning the purple mixture a dark gray color which is very cloudy.

What do you think the problem is? Should I add campden tablets or something?

Thanks a lot guys!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply