Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Problem...please help

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2008, 03:26 PM   #1
merlin310
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Problem...please help

I was hoping you all could shed some light on a problem. I brewed with some friends a few years ago, but have never done it on my own. Finally after a few years of absence, I started back this past weekend. I bought a porter kit and followed instructions to the letter. My fermentation started very rapidly after about 7-8- hours, and was very vigorous. I stopped less than 24 hours later. Is the fermentation stuck? Please help. Must have beer!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
mr x
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You really need to get a hydrometer. How are you judging that fermentation has stopped?

This place really went to hell. Follow the OF standard stout. Bye.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #3
merlin310
Recipes 

I plan on taking a hydrometer reading this afternoon. All the other batches I brewed in the past fermented for about 3 days. This was just short of 24 hours. Is it possible to completely ferment that quickly?

Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Yes, if the temperature is high enough and the OG is around 1.040.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 PM   #5
dirtymike1
Recipes 

I've had a very quick fermentation with my last batch of IPA. I would let it sit for atleast 10 days in the primary, if not a little longer. At this point you've got really green beer, and even though the bubbles may have stopped in the airlock, its still working away at the sugars.
RDWHAHB

Cheers!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 03:45 PM   #6
merlin310
Recipes 

Thanks....that helps. It's been the primary since Saturday evening. If I take a hydrometer reading, and it's at the final gravity, should I go ahead and transfer to my secondary or just wait? Thanks for all the help

Old 05-27-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin310 View Post
Thanks....that helps. It's been the primary since Saturday evening. If I take a hydrometer reading, and it's at the final gravity, should I go ahead and transfer to my secondary or just wait? Thanks for all the help
Wait at least a week before taking it out of the primary regardless of whether it's "done". Even though fermentation may be done, the yeast are still in there cleaning up their byproducts. After a week, as long as you have a stable SG over the course of a few days, you're safe to rack.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 05-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
videoman

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed an oatmeal stout this weekend; similar but different to your porter. But the commonality is that (in my experience) big beers (higher OG) start out with a bang and run their course very fast. But, just because the bubbles have stopped in the airlock does not mean the yeast has stopped doing business.

With the big darker beers I'll let it sit in primary minimum for 2 weeks, secondary for 2 weeks, bottle for 6 to 8 weeks. As my beer making is evolving, frankly I'm more inclined just to leave it in primary for 4 weeks because clearing up a stout is not an issue... you can't see through it anyway.

So my suggestion; ignore your beer till you hit the two week mark... I think you'll be pleasantly suprised where your FG will end up, and (after two weeks) the yeast cake should be compacted for better cleaner syphon to secondary.

On Deck -
Drinking -

Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #9
merlin310
Recipes 

That helps. One more question. Is it ok to pop it open and take a gravity reading during the week? You guys rock. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #10
buckeyebrewer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Your yeast just had a big party in your primary. Always give them time to clean up after themselves. It's never a bad idea to keep in primary for 2 weeks. This will give fermentation plenty of time to finish up and then "clean up" after themselves......patience my good man patience. I would start thinking of the next batch you want to brew.....it will keep your mind off the first one. Only having one beer going is tough....you always want to play with it.

-----------------------------------------------------
It's not a beer gut....I'm building a shed over my tool.

Quick Reply