Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation period

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2005, 03:30 PM   #11
jettaman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybrew
Yeah, you can't seal it can you? Even if you could there would probably be too much air space at the top. I'll say that every since I bought my secondary, my brews have gotten much better. It's a good investment that costs less than the material for one batch of beer.
I thought that space on the top was only an issue when bottling. Is CO2 buildup desired in secondary? Any guidlines to use when selecting a secondary container?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2005, 03:31 PM   #12
El Pistolero

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaman
I thought that space on the top was only an issue when bottling. Is CO2 buildup desired in secondary? Any guidlines to use when selecting a secondary container?
A 5 gallon glass carboy is what most use.

[/I] Up Next - Hobgoblin
After That - Czech Pilsner
Primary - Humboldt Hop Rod (4/24)
Primary - NOT Wheat AG SNCA (5/5)
Secondary -
Conditioning - SNCA Clone (3/3),

Old 12-07-2005, 01:19 PM   #13
jettaman
Recipes 

Well, I think I screwed this batch up. It fermented for only 4 days, so I let it sit for another 5. It had an OG of 1.045, but when I went to bottle it, it was at 1.020. It was really sweet and didn't taste too great. I'm hoping that if it sits in the bottle for a while it'll get better.

Old 12-07-2005, 01:47 PM   #14
loopmd

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I wouldn't say that you screwed it up. What was your recipe? It may be sweet for other reasons. I brewed for years with a setup that you have and left my brew on the trup in the bucket for another week after no airlock activity. I enjoyed all of my brews. Then last year I bought a 5 gallon glass carboy for a secondary fermenter and I wish I would have bought one sooner. While I enjoyed all of my other beers before I bought it, there really is a differance and now I enjoy them even more.

loop

Old 12-07-2005, 07:35 PM   #15
jettaman
Recipes 

Well, I used 1 can of Sparkling Amber malt extract syrup and 3 pounds of amber extract powder. That was at the urging of my hbs. I wondered about it, but the guy I talked to said he always did this and it turned out well.

One of the things that bothers me is that the alcohol content is low. <= 3%. I was shooting for >= 5%. Also, I didn't notice much in the way of bitterness, which is not necessarily a bad thing. One thing that does give me hope (and I just thought of it) is that I tasted it after I threw in the priming sugar. I would imagine that after the brew is fully bottle conditioned it won't be quite as sweet.

Does alcohol content increase in the bottle?

Old 12-07-2005, 08:04 PM   #16
Walker
I use secondaries. :p
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Does alcohol content increase in the bottle?
yes, but the amount of increase is negligible.

-walker

Old 12-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #17
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Well, I think I screwed this batch up. It fermented for only 4 days, so I let it sit for another 5. It had an OG of 1.045, but when I went to bottle it, it was at 1.020. It was really sweet and didn't taste too great. I'm hoping that if it sits in the bottle for a while it'll get better.

One thing that does give me hope (and I just thought of it) is that I tasted it after I threw in the priming sugar. I would imagine that after the brew is fully bottle conditioned it won't be quite as sweet
Was the gravity of 1.020 measured before or after you added the priming sugar.

If it was before, you may have had a stuck fermentation. Check the receipe to see what the expected F.G. should be. I'd assume it should be around 1.010 for your simple receipe. Now that you bottled, you may want to watch out for exploding bottles since there is much more sugar than needed in these bottles now. Just put them somewhere where they can't spill.

I just checked, 3/4cups corn sugar are about 0.4 lb and would only add 0.003 to your gravity reading.

Old 12-07-2005, 08:59 PM   #18
jettaman
Recipes 

I measured the FG before adding priming sugar. It's my own recipe, so I really don't know what the FG should have been. I was shooting for < 1.010.

I had figured maybe the fermentation was stuck. What can be done about that?

Thanks for the tip about bottles, I'll have to watch that.

Old 12-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #19
Kaiser

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I had figured maybe the fermentation was stuck. What can be done about that?
If your fermentation is stuck, you will have to pitch yeats again. I'm currently trying to salvage my Winter Bock that is stuck at 1.030 and only sluggishly fermenting.

The problem is that you need to grow fresh and healthy yeast. Since this requires oxygen, it cannot be done in the fermenter. Once you have a partial ferment you must avoid adding oxygen. The only solution seems to make a big starter and add some of the yeast from the bottom of the primary (sanitize your tools). Once you grew the yeast, put the starter in the frige so the yeast can settle to the bottom and decant the stale ferment that was your starter. Add the yeast slurry to your stuck fermentation.

Since this is the first time I have to do this, I cannot say how well it will work. Maybe others can chime in on the validity of this approach.

There are some good threads around that talk about starters. Many of them have useful links for further reading.

Old 12-07-2005, 10:29 PM   #20
madrean
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai
I'm currently trying to salvage my Winter Bock that is stuck at 1.030 and only sluggishly fermenting.
sorry to hijack the thread, but I have the same exact problem.

Stuck at 1.03. Have tried lots of stuff, won't go into details.

It's my first batch. I think i'm going to bottle it on Friday regardless if the SG has dropped anymore.

The only think I can think of doing is putting the carboy in a warmish water bath (78F) to speed up the fermentation (assuming the yeast is still alive).

I know this can affect flavor, but I wonder which will be worse- excessive sweetness or slightly off flavors (or exploding bottles??)

Quick Reply