Fermentation period

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisbeers

Reaction score
I have an IPA that I racked to the secondary fermenter last Sunday after 13 days in the primary. My OG reading at the time was 1.020 which is right in line with the recipe. However, I am still getting fermentation. It bubbles up about every 10-15 minutes. Is this normal? Do I need to wait longer to keg?

That bubbling is not necessarily fermentation.

It's probably done fermenting but there could be a variety of gases building up and every now and again, you get a bubble.

I would leave it in the secondary for a while longer (1 - 2 weeks?) - not to allow it to ferment any more, but to allow it to clarify and age.

Final gravity (FG) at 1.020...that seems high, what was the original gravity (OG)?

it could have not been done when you racked it and you simply just recirculated the yeast and they are continuing again.

or it could just be the release of gases as atchinator stated. Are you dry hopping in secondary? Sometimes the hops create nucleation points and c02 is released when dry hopping.

Who knows, only way to check is with your hydrometer. 3 days stable, then you can rack.

EDIT: just saw your OG. Depends on what yeast you are using, but yeah most likely its getting a bit tired of doing what its doing.

Back