Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation.....not seeing bubbles!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2013, 01:59 AM   #1
bkwarn3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation.....not seeing bubbles!

I brewed on Sunday and tonight ( Wednesday night) I noticed that my primary didn't have any bubbles being released through the airlock! Is this a bad sign? Did I jack something up? What could have I done wrong......or is it still fermenting and I'm just not seeing it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
Preston5280
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

You will normally see fermentation start about 12 to 24 hours after you pitch the yeast. I think there's something wrong.

How much did you cool your wort before pitching? Or maybe your yeast was old and dead.

I would go grab more yeast and pitch it.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:40 AM   #3
bkwarn3
Recipes 

I cooled it down to 70 degrees. It took a bit longer to cool down than I would have liked.....maybe a good 25 minutes!

Old 03-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #4
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Fermentation can take up to 72hrs to SEE visible signs if fermentation. That being said your airlock may not bubble depending in how well sealed the lid of your bucket is. If the seal is not airtight the co2 will escape between the lid and the bucket instead of through the airlock. If using a carboy it could be weak seal between bottle&stopper or stopper and airlock. If your worried and want to check before adding more yeast. Take a hydrometer sample and see if the FG had dropped any from your OG. I would wait till at least 72hrs then check the gravity if no signs of fermentation.

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 03-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
ILoveBeer2
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Your cooling time and temp sounds good.

What type of yeast did you use and how did you prepare it?

Old 03-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #6
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 194 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Only way to tell is to take a gravity reading. The airlock is not a fermentation gauge. Your bucket could be leaking. Have you opened it up to see if there is any krausen?

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 03-07-2013, 09:20 AM   #7
stvo
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Your fermentation has started... your airlock is not a gauge of this, it's just a vent nothing else. It's only been 72 hours you don't have to worry about it till your about 18-21 days in, when you take your gravity reading before bottling... Most of my beers had airlock activity for 2-4 days, only one beer I had activity that lasted forever 3 weeks and that was a Belgian dubbel SG 1.090 but I pitched a 2.5L starter and kept temps golden....

Old 03-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #8
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 750 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Gently open the lid of your bucket and look for a ring of brown gunk above the beer. If there is no gunk, use your hydrometer to see if the gravity has dropped because that is a sure sign of fermentation. I have a fermenter that never bubbles so I use the "real" method to determine if it fermented.

Quick Reply