Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation and krausen Q's..

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 02:20 AM   #11
muthafuggle
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKeg81
@muthafuggle - I do have a hydrometer, that's how I got my actual "FG" readings listed in the OP. What do you recommend for a good container for readings? One of the graduated cylinders I see at the local homebrew stores? I used the cylinder that the hydrometer came in to get my readings. I tested it with water and it seemed to read pretty true (right around 1.000). There was some concern that it might be touching the sides of the cylinder, but I dropped and spun in several times and all readings were the same.
the tube the hydrometer came with works okay, but it's easier to get an accurate reading with a hydrometer jar that can stand up on the counter by itself. It is mostly a convenience, but it's an inexpensive and convenient thing to add to your beer flotsam.

Having one is good, learning how and when to use it takes some of the guesswork out of brewing.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"

Primary:
Secondary: Bwa-Ha-Ha!! we don't need no steenking secondary!!
Bottled: 2tun Scotchpocalypse (12.12.12)
Kegged: LH Milk Stout Clone

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
TheKeg81
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Another update on these two.

I bottled these two brews yesterday (2/19/12). The gravities of each were where they were when I last posted, the Rye might have been a point or two lower. On a more positive note, the beer I brewed yesterday, only 1 point off of the OG listed with the recipe and it's bubbling already (< 12hrs)!

I will post the final results in about 2-3 weeks time. Thanks again for the input everyone.

Old 03-08-2012, 06:01 PM   #13
TheKeg81

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Update on the Amber.

Well, I got eager and finally had to try a bottle. I put it in the fridge on Monday (3/5) and tried it out last night (3/7). Tastes off, but drinkable. I'm thinking it's the "green/young" beer effect. Maybe not, it was brewed about 2 months ago and has only been in the bottle since Feb 19th. Shares a little bit of the odd taste I had in my first batch beer I brewed. Not sweet tasting even though the FG was high. Going to let it continue to sit in my spare closet and see if it will mellow out. I will try again in about 2 weeks (work forces me away so it'll be easy to refrain).

I will put one of the rye beer bottles in the fridge tonight and try it tomorrow after work.

Last edited by TheKeg81; 03-08-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Forgot pics

Old 03-08-2012, 06:24 PM   #14
momobono
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You're doing just fine! I don't think the FG has anything to do with the batch being extract - I've had a few extract batches that finish at 1012-1010. I would think it's the yeast behavior and it's attributed variables (source, ferm temperature, initial O2 aeration, time) that made the beer finish higher than "expected."

My experience is that leaving a beer in a primary yeast cake for 6 weeks is okay. I've never tried longer, but around the forums here I've heard nothing bad about that time period or even longer.

The green flavors will go away. I promise. Just have patience - the hardest virtue of homebrewing to learn.

Can't wait to hear what the eye tastes like!

Last edited by momobono; 03-08-2012 at 06:26 PM.

Old 03-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #15
TheKeg81

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Chocolate rye has a nice roasted flavor to it, but is lacking head in a major way. It is much better at this point than the amber is and it doesn't have that little off taste that the amber did. It is rather thin feeling though. More time in the bottle for it too I guess, both of them need more carbonation.

I will post pics tomorrow since I'm on the mobile app and I can't upload pics on it.

Last edited by TheKeg81; 03-10-2012 at 08:14 PM. Reason: To post pics.

Quick Reply