Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation help, day 3 and still no bubbling through airlock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #11
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

SilentT, I would gently move the "swamp thing" aside with a sanitized spoon and take a gravity reading. Three readings the same (every day/other day) and it's okay to bottle. Generally the krausen/swamp thing http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plik:Krausen.jpg drops to the bottom. As you might've read here, three weeks in the primary and then three weeks in the bottle is a good rule of thumb.
shibao123, 20° C is a good fermentation temp. Some brews have a beginning fermentation that is very active and then slows down. No need to panic.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
JLem
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 168 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c
SilentT, I would gently move the "swamp thing" aside with a sanitized spoon and take a gravity reading. Three readings the same (every day/other day) and it's okay to bottle. Generally the krausen/swamp thing http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plik:Krausen.jpg drops to the bottom. As you might've read here, three weeks in the primary and then three weeks in the bottle is a good rule of thumb.
shibao123, 20° C is a good fermentation temp. Some brews have a beginning fermentation that is very active and then slows down. No need to panic.
Don't forget that these are lagers...so fermentation times and temps will be different. 20C is much too warm for s lager yeast (and even for most ale yeasts in my opinion). Lagers should be fermented cool, then lagered even colder for several weeks, then bottled...so the standard ale schedule doesn't really apply.

As for taking a hydrometer sample...sanitize a measuring cup and scoop out about 1/2 a cup of beer. Fill your hydrometer tube and test it in there. Then drink the sample

Old 01-28-2013, 01:16 AM   #13
SilentT
Recipes 

Ok things appear to be fermenting well, krausen is funky and airlock is bubbling and ill take another hydrometer reading to make sure things are going well.

Now I have to decide what's next.

I've read several opinions about using a secondary and I can't decide if it is the best thing to do or not.mi was hoping for some more opinions.

So should I put it in a secondary and age it cooler ( remember is a black lager) or just keep it as is, any insight would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 01-29-2013, 10:47 AM   #14
SilentT
Recipes 

Ok new problem.

I took a hydrometer reading and Initially it was 1.048

And now it's 1.2

Shouldn't it be dropping? What gives?

Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #15
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 891 Times on 642 Posts
Likes Given: 1960

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentT View Post
Ok new problem.

I took a hydrometer reading and Initially it was 1.048

And now it's 1.2

Shouldn't it be dropping? What gives?
Yes, that's wrong.

Seriously, its user error, your gravity isn't 1.2 Did you let the sample sit for a while, to get rid of any CO2 that was in it? Or perhaps you misread the hydrometer.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #16
freisste
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 238 Posts

I'm guessing its a typo and the reading is 1.020 (a common place for extract brews to finish), not 1.2 (that's like 25 lbs of extract in a 5 gal batch).

Quick Reply