The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation fridge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 08:09 PM   #1
Thedagem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation fridge

I ferment my beer in a fridge that has a unit that keeps the fridge within 1 degree of 60F. I've scrubbed this fridge with soap, and even bleach and believe it to be relatively clean. I know I'm going to get quoted on this and made fun of, so let me explain. What I mean by clean is it's in new condition, it's not a fridge that sat in some guys basement and should have nuclear waste stickers on it. It was my kitchen fridge and never had problems before. There's not 30 years of crud built up or anything. But I keep getting black mold on the door now. My guess is because of the extra moisture in the fridge from the blowoff tanks and the higher temperature. I scrubbed it with bleach and it came back, scrubbed it with bleach a second time and it seems to be gone finally. I want to make sure I don't have this problem again. I'm sure some of you have run into this. How do I keep the mold from coming back?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Mirage
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would try putting some damp rid in there to keep the moisture low. I don't ferment in my fridge but I agree with you that it is caused by the extra moisture and warmer than fridge temp.

On Tap: Heavenly Scourge Black IPA and Beecave Heffe
Primary: Empty
Secondary: Empty
Next: Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale and Pliny the Elder Clone

Old 10-27-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
cfonnes
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I had mold in my fermentation chamber. I hit it with a solution of Mr Clean antibacterial mixed strong with water. Then I sprayed iodine sanitizer and let it dry. That was two months ago, it has not came back yet.

Quick Reply