Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Is fermentation done?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
ajake83
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is fermentation done?

Thanks in advance for any help or information. Im right before bottling on a pumpkin stout. Nov 24 was brew date. I usually let it ferment for a week in primary and then let it finish out in secondary, my hydrometer hasn't moved in 2 days. The OG was 1.052 and my reading now is 1.021 . My question is should I let it sit for a few more days and check again or can I bottle? I used a recipe kit due to the fact im brand spanking new to this and am trying to build confidence. No real pumpkin, some spices and LME. Im able to give additional information.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 03:39 PM   #2
RLinNH
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 6

What yeast did you use?

On DeckAnother Mild
Primary Camper's Delight 9
Secondary nope
Bottled SSBC Club Brew 2013
Kegged Camper's Delight 8
On Tap MaiBock

Old 12-09-2012, 03:48 PM   #3
ajake83
Recipes 

Safale s 04. 11.5 grams

Old 12-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 209

As a kit and being all extract most likely it is done. There is a pretty common occurrence for this to happen as the amount of less fermentable malt in extract is hard to determine depending on the manufacturer.

You can try to gently rouse the yeast by agitating the vessel and raising the temperature a bit to see if it will knock some points but most likely it's done.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-09-2012, 03:55 PM   #5
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Sounds done to me....give it another day or 2 and check SG again...if the same....then it;s done

EVERYONE is entitled to my opinion!

Primary #1: Fat Tire Clone
Primary #2: Oatmeal Stout
Primary #3: Empty

Upcoming Brews:
English Pale Ale

Bottled:
Biermuncher Centennail Blonde

Old 12-09-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
ajake83
Recipes 

2 days ago I moved my carboy to to the kitchen counter, in the process of moving it did agitate the trub and the airlock went nuts for about 3 hrs. I believe this would be equivalent.
One more question if I may. Do you think at 70 deg a 12oz bottle will carb up in 2 weeks. Im not sure if a stout will take longer or not. Thanks again for any answers.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #7
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 209

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajake83 View Post
2 days ago I moved my carboy to to the kitchen counter, in the process of moving it did agitate the trub and the airlock went nuts for about 3 hrs. I believe this would be equivalent.
One more question if I may. Do you think at 70 deg a 12oz bottle will carb up in 2 weeks. Im not sure if a stout will take longer or not. Thanks again for any answers.
The only reason why the airlock went crazy is because you moved the vessel and agitated the suspended CO2 our of suspension, unless of course you took another gravity reading and saw that it dropped but in 3 hours I doubt it!

As for conditioning and carbonation, it's possible but as a stout I doubt it, more like 3-4 weeks for everything to come together nicely.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 12-09-2012, 04:03 PM   #8
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1941 Times on 1702 Posts
Likes Given: 1436

Most average gravity ales will be better longer than 2 weeks in the bottle. I've had dark beers like stouts take longer. 1.021 down from 1.052 isn't done normally. It should be more like 1.010-1.012. They won't stall at 1.020 mearly because they're extracts. It also depends on how long you boiled how much of it.

Quick Reply