Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation in crawl space?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
Rankinstein
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation in crawl space?

Okay so I have one batch under my belt and some apfelwein in a secondary so I'm about ready to start up a new batch. It's starting to get hot here in Northern California and a lot of the houses here (mine included) don't have AC. Today it's 80F inside the house and while I have a cool corner in a guest bathroom that is staying in the low 70s today, I don't know how well it will do once we hit summer time.

I noticed that my crawl space under my house (no basement unfortunately) was nice and cool though (almost perfect right by the door, actually) and there's plenty of headroom for a large carboy. Anyway I was wondering if anyone else had used their crawlspace for primary/secondary fermentation and if so if you had any recommendations for me. Seems like the main concern is a larger exposure to insects and other critters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 11:59 PM   #2
boydak
Recipes 

Well, I live in Maine but am going to try a similar process.

Making a Kolsch and need it in the 40-50 range for secondary. Going to try my basement and see how it goes.

Old 04-21-2009, 01:13 AM   #3
BrewStooge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My first thought is what kind of craw space are we talking here? Is this something finished to an extent or just a opening where stuff is sitting in the dirt? An easier solution might be putting it in a tub of water with something for a wick and a fan, get some evaporation cooling going.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:32 AM   #4
Rankinstein
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrewStooge View Post
My first thought is what kind of craw space are we talking here? Is this something finished to an extent or just a opening where stuff is sitting in the dirt? An easier solution might be putting it in a tub of water with something for a wick and a fan, get some evaporation cooling going.
This is an unfinished crawl space under the house. Not directly on dirt but not far from it--there's a plastic sheet over the dirt. That, I suppose, is my concern. There's shelter from the elements but I'm sure there are spiders, etc. under there.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:39 AM   #5
CiscoKid
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankinstein View Post
There's shelter from the elements but I'm sure there are spiders, etc. under there.
Don't worry, they don't drink much.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:40 AM   #6
buzzkill
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have been thinking about doing this with some bottles I want to age out, but they will be in a cooler. if you can build a cubby hole with some blocks to keep critters from it. but it could work.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:12 AM   #7
weem25
Recipes 

Personally, I would avoid the crawl space. There are a lot of critters that can get into a crawl space and will probably be attracted to the smell of the fermentation process.

What I would suggest instead is converting a cube cooler. There are several discussions threads that talk about this but basically you can byy a cheap cube cooler that is big enough to hold your carboy or bucket. You then fill the cooler with ice (I use used frozen water bottles.) You fill the cooler with enough ice to get to the temp that you need.

here is a good example
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ferm...chamber-13810/

Last edited by weem25; 04-21-2009 at 03:16 AM. Reason: Added link

Old 04-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #8
Blender

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by weem25 View Post
Personally, I would avoid the crawl space. There are a lot of critters that can get into a crawl space and will probably be attracted to the smell of the fermentation process.

What I would suggest instead is converting a cube cooler. There are several discussions threads that talk about this but basically you can byy a cheap cube cooler that is big enough to hold your carboy or bucket. You then fill the cooler with ice (I use used frozen water bottles.) You fill the cooler with enough ice to get to the temp that you need.

here is a good example
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ferm...chamber-13810/
I would agree. The cube coolers work pretty well especially if you modilfy the top or make another one with insulation.

Gary

Old 04-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #9
BrewStooge
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, better to dig up a cooler, or an old fridge even (craigslist?) rather than to come back a couple weeks later and find a mouse swimming in your brew singing bawdy pub tunes.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
bull8042
I like 'em shaved
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 444 Times on 443 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If memory serves, I think Jeffery Dahmer was "fermenting" in his crawl space! Seriously, I would go with the swamp cooler idea if it were me. Set your carboy or bucket in a tub with a few inches of water and drape a t-shirt over it. It will do wonders for your temps.

"I do gravity feed the last gallon or two through my Therminator, but I expect you could suck start a Volkswagen before you could suck start one of these. - GilaMinumBeer

"..... Bull was right." - TXCurtis

Quick Reply