Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation climbed to 82 degrees in two days-is beer ok?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2008, 03:21 PM   #1
polamalu43
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation climbed to 82 degrees in two days-is beer ok?

Hello,

I'm fermenting my fifth batch - an imperial amber ale from Austin Homebrew Supply. It climbed to 82 degrees as it's gotten pretty warm here in DC the past few days. It's only been fermenting 1.5 days, but my guess is that it's consistently been fermenting hotter than 75 degrees.

Have I already turned my beer into a phenolic alcoholic mess?

Past experience with fermenting American ales at high temps would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2008, 04:31 PM   #2
PseudoChef

Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 39

You won't be able to really know until it's finished fermenting. Then, keep it on the yeast an additional week as they will still clean up any off-flavours they may have produced.

Old 04-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #3
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

How long did it stay at 82f? I'd imagine you'll get some phenolics but like PC said, you won't know until it's done. In the future, keep your fermentation temps in check with a water bath and frozen pepsi bottles. Proper yeast pitching rates and proper fermentation temps are probably 75% of the battle when it comes to making great beer.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-12-2008, 05:19 PM   #4
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Ditto the water bath and frozen bottles. Even just a t-shirt that wicks the water up from the bath onto the carboy can do wonders to lowering temps. I am going to have to start doing more of that now that the temps have turned up here in Alabama.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 04-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #5
polamalu43
Recipes 

It was probably at 82 for about 12 hours. However, I doubt it was ever much cooler than 75 degrees. Thanks for the replies, and I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts

also...if you can, try to keep standard ales between 64 and 70f. You can ramp that up slightly to 74 or so towards the end of fermentation just to help the yeast go that extra mile and attenuate further (there's virtually no danger of ester/phenolic production that late in the game), but for the vast majority of the time, keep it below 70f.

Cheers!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-12-2008, 06:25 PM   #7
BeerSmith
BeerSmith Author, Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Nope,
Your beer is dead. Please bottle it up and send it all to me so I can dispose of it!

Seriously - it will very likely come out fine. Wrap a few wet towels around it to keep it cool, put a fan on the towels and change them out every 12 hours or so - you can cut 10-15 degrees F out this way.

Other than that there is nothing more you can do - as others point out you won't really know if you did any damage until it has finished fermenting and aging.

Cheers,
Brad

Old 04-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #8
fratermus
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio
Even just a t-shirt that wicks the water up from the bath onto the carboy can do wonders to lowering temps.
To the OP: the wet tshirt trick really can help wick heat off, and you can start immediatley (nothing to freeze or maintain). I have found that a cheap walmart plast oil drain pan is just big enough for the fermenter and water reserve without taking up too much floorspace.

I'd say that the shirt wicks 5f off by itself, maybe 10f if there is a fan on in the room.

After years of fighting texas heat I finally got a spare fridge and controller which I usually set 65F-70F depending on the preferences of the yeast in question.

Batch history | yeast slants | Suspending yeast

Quick Reply