Fermentation Chamber Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nocsimian

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know flavors from yeast are influenced by temperature so I built a "Son of a Fermentation Chamber". It's not pretty, but it does a pretty decent job of keeping everything within a few degrees. I've had it down to 64 and can keep it at 68 with 12 hour ice swaps. Considering I keep the house at 80 degrees during the summer, I'm pleased with it. I've attached a pic as well.

But now that I have it, I keep wondering why I didn't just get a Ranco controller and a used fridge. I can't lager with my fermentation chamber. I have to plan my trips around my beer brewing as I can't leave it alone. It's like I've built an ineffectual babysitter for my yeast.

Has anyone else had the same thoughts?

fermentation_chamber.jpg

Agreed. I skipped the son of build and went straight to a chest freezer and temp controller.

Find a cheap mini fridge on CL and convert your SOF to a true temp controlled ferm chamber. Go with the ebay temp controller and youre good to go.

I did the chamber thing as well, was a pain in the but to build, and for the material cost I could have gotten a mini fridge off of CraigsList. Went to the mini fridge and oh so happy with it now.

Well I'm really glad the op started this thread. I was thinking of doing a sof chamber but now I will wait till I do my kezzer build the convert my old frig thanks for the solid advise
Chopps

Firebat138 said:
me too... found a couple of small freezers on CL today... Emailed them and awaiting answers...

Hope your leads are better than the ones I had. I must of emailed or called 16 people over 3 weeks with hardly any replies.

I just finished one of these, but it was the larger "mother of fermentation chamber." I can get mine down in the 40's without an issue and it's been holding at 68 degrees in my basement without swapping ice out, but every two days or so. Even then it doesn't get much warmer that 68 due to my basement being a constant 68. In hind site I probably should've just gotten a temp. controller and fridge and it would've been ALOT easier. Mine's been covered in Red Oak though so it was a little more complicated than most.

I got a fridge for $50.00 and I have a freezer on the way. The DIY of ebay temp controller with walmart parts is on my agenda too. Simple and easy. It may cost a tad more, but peace of mind and time offset that.

The building of the chamber wasn't all that hard and I appreciate the sense of accomplishment. However, I feel like we should warn folks if they are serious enough in the hobby to build one, that they'll probably be happier and better off converting a fridge.

Then again, different strokes for different folks. I only spent $40 on this one as I had the AC adapter, and the digital thermostat was on sale. Maybe I'm just venting.

Back