Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2013, 03:06 PM   #981
siucubfan8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have my first attempt at a home brew (an IPA) in the basement right now in primary, has been there since last Friday.
The temp on the bucket is registering 68 to 70 F. Is that ok?
I checked today and saw no visible signs of bubbles from the airlock. Previously there were signs of bubbles every 10-15 seconds. I did a quick peek and there was tons of foam on the top. Is this normal? It smelled fine, good hop aroma.
I am having a little first time brewer anxiety.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2013, 08:57 PM   #982
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Itsme, repitch as fast as you can. And in the future, White Labs are meant to be used as a starter, not pitched directly, unless you have a very small beer.

Cubfan, that is exactly what is supposed to happen. It's not done yet though so don't touch it until at least Friday. What is your plan after that?

Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #983
siucubfan8
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post

Cubfan, that is exactly what is supposed to happen. It's not done yet though so don't touch it until at least Friday. What is your plan after that?
Ok good, I kind of figured but I got nervous.
I want to dry hop but I might do it in the primary and skip the secondary since this is my first rodeo.

Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 PM   #984
se1911
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

First brew in many years. American brown ale (Caribou slobber) danstar windsor ale yeast.

So I placed my fermenting bucket on the basement floor (57 degree concrete). 18 hours latter I thought this was too cold, so I brought it upstairs to raise the temp. Airlock activity is visible several hours latter. Very happy. Wake up today, no airlock activity. Not happy. Do the flashlight check and I can see a ring about one inch above beer, but no foam remains.

Where to go from here? Did the initial low temp shorten life of yeast? Should I re-pitch or just wait it out? Since it hasn't even been 48 hours, I can't imagine the yeast activity would be so short.

ETA: Decided to take bucket down to basement again. This time placed it about 4 feet above floor. Ambient temp 65. Gave the bucket a few swirls, and now the airlock is active again.

Last edited by se1911; 06-09-2013 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Edit to add

Old 06-09-2013, 10:23 PM   #985
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by se1911
First brew in many years. American brown ale (Caribou slobber) danstar windsor ale yeast.
It sounds like you have a weak seal on your bucket. Moving upstairs created a gap big enough for CO2 to escape though. Of my 4 buckets, one never seals and one usually seals. They still work fine.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #986
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

1st time with excessive lag here, I brewed a basic 2-row lager on Sunday, OG 1.050. Cooled to 80 with chiller, aerated like normal using venturi setup, put in fridge to chill overnight. Next morning I pitched 2 packs of dry safale lager yeast that was double stepped up using stirplate about 2-3 months ago. I pitched the yeast cold with the lager at about 48F.

Next day nothing, no big deal, but I aerated using degassing whip, yesterday nothing visible so I aerated again. This morning so about 68 hours with yeast, still nothing. I have a smack pack of munich lager yeast that says its good up to 5 gals of 1.060, should I smack that and pitch?

Gracious.

Old 06-13-2013, 02:05 PM   #987
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmatics View Post
1st time with excessive lag here, I brewed a basic 2-row lager on Sunday, OG 1.050. Cooled to 80 with chiller, aerated like normal using venturi setup, put in fridge to chill overnight. Next morning I pitched 2 packs of dry safale lager yeast that was double stepped up using stirplate about 2-3 months ago. I pitched the yeast cold with the lager at about 48F.

Next day nothing, no big deal, but I aerated using degassing whip, yesterday nothing visible so I aerated again. This morning so about 68 hours with yeast, still nothing. I have a smack pack of munich lager yeast that says its good up to 5 gals of 1.060, should I smack that and pitch?

Gracious.
lagers take a while to build a krausen. you should see some bubbles at the surface by now. whether you do or not, give it another day.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #988
siucubfan8
Recipes 

So here is my Lagunitas IPA clone in the secondary dry hopping. It was in primary for 10 days and now has been in secondary for 5. I am thinking about bottling tonight. The gravity readings in primary said it was done fermenting. I went with secondary to dry hop. The bubbles are just Co2 escaping, right?

photo-2-.jpg  

Primary:
Secondary: Fat Tire Clone
Next Up: Spotted Cow Clone

Old 06-13-2013, 03:55 PM   #989
RmikeVT
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by siucubfan8 View Post
So here is my Lagunitas IPA clone in the secondary dry hopping. It was in primary for 10 days and now has been in secondary for 5. I am thinking about bottling tonight. The gravity readings in primary said it was done fermenting. I went with secondary to dry hop. The bubbles are just Co2 escaping, right?
Yes - Hops provide nucleation site for CO2, so it comes out of solution when dry hopping.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #990
cosmatics
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
lagers take a while to build a krausen. you should see some bubbles at the surface by now. whether you do or not, give it another day.
Ok an update, I took my 1st gravity reading and it seems to be down 2pts, so I think I should just relax and have a homebrew. Thanks Progmac.

Quick Reply