Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #961
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Yeah, 74f is a little on the warm side and a simple swamp cooler is definitely an easy way of controlling ferm. temps therefore getting an instant increase in the quality of beer you produce.

It might not really be of much benefit for the present brew as the initial, vigorous, exothermic stage of fermentation is probably winding down, so you'll want to keep it warmish to help the yeast finish off and do some clean up, conditioning, where some of the off flavours can be dissipated. Not sure of what the best temp range for the wyeast ESB 1968 is, but being an English it might not throw overly hideous flavours at the temps it hit.

Very often you can't see the important things on the outside........................................... .
.............Like takoyaki.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2013, 04:06 AM   #962
pumpkinhead90
Recipes 

Just did a secondary raspberry, started showing and making sounds after a few hours.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:20 AM   #963
itsme_timd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri View Post
Yeah, 74f is a little on the warm side and a simple swamp cooler is definitely an easy way of controlling ferm. temps therefore getting an instant increase in the quality of beer you produce.

It might not really be of much benefit for the present brew as the initial, vigorous, exothermic stage of fermentation is probably winding down, so you'll want to keep it warmish to help the yeast finish off and do some clean up, conditioning, where some of the off flavours can be dissipated. Not sure of what the best temp range for the wyeast ESB 1968 is, but being an English it might not throw overly hideous flavours at the temps it hit.
Well in the spirit of making things as difficult as possible looks like I went to the other extreme with my second batch, an oatmeal stout. After looking around at info on the swamp coolers I got a nice size bin that will hold my bucket and after pitching I put it in there with some water and tossed in half a dozen frozen water bottles. We had a cold snap here last night and it got down to 61F in the house and my swamp cooler water for the 48F! It's up to about 60F now but no signs of fermentation. What should I do at this point?

Old 04-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #964
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Depends on the strain of yeast you've gone with for this batch. Danstar Nottingham works well down at 57 whereas S-04 and US-05 prefer somewhere around 62-64 or so.

Might be a good idea to take the fermenter out of the swamp cooler and move it to somewhere a little warmer for a short time as just allowing the fermenter to warm up a bit should get the fermentation started. Once you see signs of krauzen forming and temp of the beer starting to rise you could relocate the fermenter into the swamp cooler again.

Very often you can't see the important things on the outside........................................... .
.............Like takoyaki.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:44 AM   #965
ShaunMc15
Recipes 

My batch has been in the fermentor for 4 days and the krausen is almost gone. Is this normal? Should I transfer to the secondary now since it seems the fermenting may soon be over? It just seems a little too soon to me.

Thanks

SM15

Old 04-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #966
bits
Recipes 

It's been 20 hours an no visible signs of fermentation yet - should I shake the wort to aerate every few hours until I see something?

Currently Brewing - My first 5 gallon brew.

Still learning :)

Old 04-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #967
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits
It's been 20 hours an no visible signs of fermentation yet - should I shake the wort to aerate every few hours until I see something?
No.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #968
bits
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
No.
It's been 48 hours and still nothing other than some air bubbles at the top of my beer. Is there a point where I should intervene?

I did prime my yeast with 110 degree water then slowly brought it my wort temp by adding wort. Right now my carboy is at 62 degrees.

I also removed my airlock to make sure it was tight. Did that restart anything?

Thoughts?

Currently Brewing - My first 5 gallon brew.

Still learning :)

Old 04-30-2013, 03:32 PM   #969
itsme_timd
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I made a honey ale on Saturday and by Sunday the top was covered up with krausen, however today there are just a few patches of 'funk' on top. Should it have died down that quickly? If not is there something I should/can do to get it going again?

Old 04-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #970
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 279 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsme_timd
I made a honey ale on Saturday and by Sunday the top was covered up with krausen, however today there are just a few patches of 'funk' on top. Should it have died down that quickly? If not is there something I should/can do to get it going again?
It's probably fine.
What yeast did you use?
What is your room temperature?
Do you know the fermentor's temperature?

Quick Reply