Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #941
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRider

Alright, ill keep an eye on it. Was I correct to not stir it after I pitched? It seems like I've seen videos that have said to and some that have said not to.
You want to aerate your wort before you pitch, but I have forgotten before and done it after I pitched - not the next day "after", we are talking within an hour "after". Once the yeast start making alcohol, no more stirring.

A best-practices method would be to hydrate your yeast in a cup of 90F water for 30 minutes before you pitch it. The yeast go in healthier and they won't just sit on top.

You should also be doing something to aerate. Some people pour back and forth between 2 buckets. Some people hook a paint stirrer on their drill. I use an electric whisk for 5 minutes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2013, 12:39 AM   #942
MooseRider
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRider View Post
I brewed a Brewers Best English Brown Ale kit yesterday, after cooling the wort and transferring to the fermentation bucket there was a layer of foam approximately 1/2 inch thick. When I pitched the yeast I sprinkled it over the entire surface of the foam, I didn't stir it after pitching because I was under the impression that that was a bad thing to do because of the risk of aerating the wort. Its been 18 hours now with no visible signs of fermentation. I'm mainly just curious to see if you guys think the yeast made it through the foam. Also, should I have stirred it after pitching? Thanks in advanced for any advice!
Update; My batch did start to ferment, but stopped just as quickly. On day three the airlock was bubbling about once every 30 seconds and an approximately 1 inch thick layer of krausen formed. On day 4 the airlock activity completely stopped and as of today (day 5) the krausen has gone away. Is this normal? I haven't take any gravity readings since the original. Im trying to follow the stay calm have another beer instructions but it's hard lol. Just wondering if you guys think I should give it a gentle stir. Thanks again for any advice.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #943
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRider View Post
Update; My batch did start to ferment, but stopped just as quickly. On day three the airlock was bubbling about once every 30 seconds and an approximately 1 inch thick layer of krausen formed. On day 4 the airlock activity completely stopped and as of today (day 5) the krausen has gone away. Is this normal? I haven't take any gravity readings since the original. Im trying to follow the stay calm have another beer instructions but it's hard lol. Just wondering if you guys think I should give it a gentle stir. Thanks again for any advice.
sounds like a normal fermentation. it is done.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #944
cwk229
Recipes 

Ok newbie question here. I made my second attempt at a brew on Sunday. I made a Briess Bedford Brown Ale. I bought my supply's locally and brewed the batch according o the directions on the web site. First attempt using grain and hops as well as a yeast I needed to hydrate. The fermentation started Sunday night and was going good on Monday night. I checked the air lock on Tuesday and it was very slow almost none at all. Today I checked it and there is no movement at all. Is this normal? My last and first batch seemed to ferment for a longer time. Thanks for any advice.

Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 PM   #945
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Just because it isn't bubbling, doesn't mean it isn't fermenting. A hydrometer is a gauge. An airlock is just a vent.

There is a YouTube video of an airlock bubbling in an EMPTY bucket just because the air pressure was changing.

Old 03-28-2013, 11:53 AM   #946
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 281

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk229 View Post
Ok newbie question here. I made my second attempt at a brew on Sunday. I made a Briess Bedford Brown Ale. I bought my supply's locally and brewed the batch according o the directions on the web site. First attempt using grain and hops as well as a yeast I needed to hydrate. The fermentation started Sunday night and was going good on Monday night. I checked the air lock on Tuesday and it was very slow almost none at all. Today I checked it and there is no movement at all. Is this normal? My last and first batch seemed to ferment for a longer time. Thanks for any advice.
normal. done or nearly done.

Old 03-29-2013, 05:09 PM   #947
cwk229
Recipes 

Thanks for the reply. I did not want to open the bucket yet.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 AM   #948
devo2002
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Hello all, newb here.

It's my 5th batch ever and I've used the wyeast a few times, it's been 24 and surprisingly not bubbling. I know to wait, it could take up to another day or so and I'll take a measurement then...but if it doesn't start, how long can it sit in the plastic bucket before going bad? It may take a few days to get more yeast, I just learned to buy a backup next time!

thanks.

Old 04-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #949
catdaddy66
Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I've got a stout in the carboy for 24 hours and my fermentation is chugging nicely with Saf-04! Love it!

Old 04-10-2013, 04:16 AM   #950
jfck2000
Recipes 

Default 1st time Brewing No signs of fermentation

Hi - I'm totally new to brewing and completed my first kit on Sunday. It's the Brewers Best American Amber. I followed the kit instructions step by step. I was worried because by Tuesday morning I still was not seeing any bubbling in the airlock. (I filled airlock half full of sanitizer water per the instructions and it has some bubbles on top of the sanitizer water that have been there since I filled half full). I put the fermenter bucket in a closet and it's been between 66 - 72 degrees. Yesterday I could notice the faint smell of my brew in the closet. Today I tapped the airlock with my finger because I was growing impatient and it's started bubbling! It bubbled most of the day slowly. Now tonight It's back to no activity. If I tap the airlock it's seems to bubble for awhile and then stop. The smell of the brew is getting very strong and starting to smell up my house (it smells great). Does this sound normal? Is there anything I can do to the airlock to make sure the bubbling stays active? Any suggestions for a newbie?

Quick Reply