Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2013, 12:28 PM   #931
catdaddy66
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarikapak
@progmac: This is actually all grain

@Hugh_Jass: Always been around 70 degrees.

This is the first time I am having this problem, and I am about to dump this. Will give it another week to see what happens.
Don't dump it, please! That's alcohol abuse!!

It may not be spot on to what you'd hoped but the product should still be delicious (it is beer, after all) at that FG. Just sayin'...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2013, 12:30 PM   #932
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 226 Times on 185 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarikapak View Post
@progmac: This is actually all grain

@Hugh_Jass: Always been around 70 degrees.

This is the first time I am having this problem, and I am about to dump this. Will give it another week to see what happens.
I was able to take about two gravity points off a low-gravity beer by pitching half a pound of sugar in about an equal part water. Better, pitching on a fresh yeast cake from some other beer is easily the most effective way to get all you can get out of a fermentation. I was able to get five more points out of a high gravity beer doing this.

Did you mash high?

How does it taste? Could it be used to blend with a lighter, dryer beer?

Old 03-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #933
tarikapak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'll give it a few more days, and I'll bottle them per your suggession.

What bothers me is that it still had a 1 inch cake ( beautiful and clean) floating on top after two weeks. I disturbed and broke it into pieces while giving it a gentle stir. My plan was to wake the yeasts up :/ here is how it looked like:

image-4034849190.jpg

Will keep here posted on the results

Old 03-15-2013, 02:58 AM   #934
phineascoates
Recipes 

How long does it take for fermentation to start? After 72 hours and no signs of fermentation and if you are not sure if the yeast has worked or not take a hydrometer reading, or taste the beer. Fermentation appears to take a long time to start, but don’t worry because this will give you the opportunity to ensure that the yeast is working before you pitch it into your wort. That is all you need to ferment a beer.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 AM   #935
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by phineascoates View Post
How long does it take for fermentation to start? After 72 hours and no signs of fermentation and if you are not sure if the yeast has worked or not take a hydrometer reading, or taste the beer. Fermentation appears to take a long time to start, but don’t worry because this will give you the opportunity to ensure that the yeast is working before you pitch it into your wort. That is all you need to ferment a beer.
Every post of this character's I've come across I can't for the life of me make head or tails of what they're writing. I have to ask. Is this some kind of advanced spambot or a real person using a (not particularly brilliant) translation tool to go from some other language into English?

Very often you can't see the important things on the outside........................................... .
.............Like takoyaki.

People Like This 
Old 03-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #936
MooseRider
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed a Brewers Best English Brown Ale kit yesterday, after cooling the wort and transferring to the fermentation bucket there was a layer of foam approximately 1/2 inch thick. When I pitched the yeast I sprinkled it over the entire surface of the foam, I didn't stir it after pitching because I was under the impression that that was a bad thing to do because of the risk of aerating the wort. Its been 18 hours now with no visible signs of fermentation. I'm mainly just curious to see if you guys think the yeast made it through the foam. Also, should I have stirred it after pitching? Thanks in advanced for any advice!

Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #937
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

What was the temperature of the wort when the yeast was pitched?

What is the current temperature?

How do you know nothing is happening? Are you able to see the beer or are you gauging activity of the airlock?

Old 03-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #938
MooseRider
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The wort was 75°F when I pitched. Im not around to grab a temp right now but the room I have it in is about 66°F. There's no airlock activity and the layer of foam looks about the same as it did to start.

Old 03-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #939
kh54s10
Recipes 

Liked 598 Times on 506 Posts
Likes Given: 161

That foam is probably from aeration which is good. It should dissipate. I would not do anything now. If you don't see something after 2 - 2 1/2 days I would give it a very gentle stir. I would bet the yeast has or will get into the wort by itself.

Old 03-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #940
MooseRider
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kh54s10 View Post
That foam is probably from aeration which is good. It should dissipate. I would not do anything now. If you don't see something after 2 - 2 1/2 days I would give it a very gentle stir. I would bet the yeast has or will get into the wort by itself.
Alright, ill keep an eye on it. Was I correct to not stir it after I pitched? It seems like I've seen videos that have said to and some that have said not to.

Quick Reply