Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 06:35 PM   #901
SmithsonBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPayne View Post
Just give it time. You see a kraussen ring so you know fermentation is going. Forget the airlock activity mine went from 1.030 to 1.016 without a single bubble. You're at least lucky that you're in a carboy and can see the kraussen. Mine is in plastic bucket and I can't see squat haha
I'm actually in a bucket to, but by shining a light on the back you can see the ring of foam pretty well. I also might have took a really quick peek.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #902
Lbillotto
Recipes 

Made a BB smoked porter, all is well in the carboy now, but due to equipment malfunctions I wasn't able to get an OG reading. Not super concerned. Figure ill just see what the fg works out to be. Anyone have one that wound up being way off

Old 03-04-2013, 10:01 PM   #903
sak1134
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I realize there is no reason to worry but of course I am.

Just made my second batch on Saturday afternoon (50hrs ago) and have had no bubbling yet. I did initially have it stored in my laundry room where it was probably too cold (60) so I moved it to a different room this morning where the temp is a monitored 70. Still no bubbling when I got home. I broke down, popped the top and took the attached pic. It smells right, appears to be foaming so I should be fine but I would appreciate some confirmation.

Thanks - Steve

If I don't get any bubbling at what point must I act and what should I do? The brewstore is quite a distance and I work all week so I need to have a plan.

Update: Nevermind, the beer just wanted me to look silly. I popped the top back on, made my post, went back to the storage spot and the beer is bubbling along.

beer.jpg  

Old 03-04-2013, 10:24 PM   #904
Maybenaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Just started brewing again after many years. I decided to start with an ingredient kit since it's been a while; went with Brewer's Best American Amber ale. Was a little worried after 24 hours with no activity in the airlock, but now after 48 hours in the fermentation bucket it seems to be gurgling away happily. I don't know when the gurgling started -- I decided not to worry about it, and had to force myself to stop checking. The aroma coming out of the airlock is heavenly.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #905
AdamHasser
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

I’m a new member and new to brewing. I’ve helped other people brew a few batches but this batch is my first. I’m concerned about Fermentation due to no airlock activity.

Irish Stout brewed Feb. 24th
I originally took an OG reading of 1.075 which is quite a bit higher than the 1.042 that is was supposed to be. I believe part of the problem is that I took the reading with a Hydrometer after pitching the dry yeast. (I’m curious why Hydrometers are only accurate for OG???) My second issue, now that I look back on it, was that I put my bucket on a table in my cool basement. I don’t know what I was thinking because it’s probably 55 degrees down there. On the 26th I decided to pop down there and see if there was any activity in the airlock, nothing. So I moved it upstairs to my pantry where it’s between 64 and 67. After a week of no activity in the airlock I assumed the drop in temp to 55 or possibly less caused the yeast to stall. I bought liquid yeast and put in March 3rd, a week after the original pitch. I completely spaced doing another gravity reading, which after doing some reading on the forum I probably should have done before re-pitching. I did notice a ring of what looked like broken down hops near the top of the beer along the sides (krausen ring?) which seems to be a good sign. The beer smelled fine but there was no real foam on the top or bubbling. Now the re-pitch has been in there a day and half and I’m still not seeing any airlock bubbles. I’ve only opened the lid once to re-pitch to avoid opening it too often. I tried to be patient but I’m thinking being more consistent with my gravity readings would have helped.

If anyone has suggestions or general brewing practices that would help me out I would greatly appreciate it.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #906
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Topping up an extract batch? If so, the high OG reading is because the wort and top off water were not thoroughly mixed. No worries there.

Krausen ring on the bucket indicates you had fermentation. It's probably done. Take a hydrometer reading to check.

Hydrometers are accurate post fermentation, refractometers need adjusted for liquid's alcohol content.

AdamHasser Likes This 
Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #907
Beergazzi
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Well, here's my $.02 as a new brewer (8.5 gallons in various stages of 'brew'..still haven't tased a drop).

My 1 gallon AG batch, which was to get my feet wet, fermented nicely in a gallon glass jug with stopper, plenty of activity, its carbing in bottles, I think it all went well, no OG reading though. It was stored between 65 and 67 degrees. Pitched around 75.

My 5 gallon batch, partial mash, Midwest Irish Stout extract kit, but I added 1 lb of 6 row (ordered 2 row, got 6 row), and one lb of oats, and mashed the grains instead of steeping, and did an early addition of the LME, This one had almost NO airlock activity in my bucket with airlock. After 3 days I noticed a krausen ring, and took a hydro reading since I was concerned, and (I know I pitched way too warm, probably 87ish) it Dropped from 1.055 to 1.023, left it in my basement at 62 degrees. for 10 more days, it looked done.

I moved it upstairs to the 65-67 range, and took a reading after a few day, and it dropped to 1.0205, and noticed some fine bubbles at the surface, so 16 days into the batch, its still going, probably bottle this weekend. (tasted good).

My 2.5 gallon AG, made up recipe for a blonde/cream ale (which is probably too high in flaked maize but we'll see), was an OG of about 1.041, and I pitched the WB-06 yeast at 75 ish, and it fermented nicely for 6 days with activity through a blow off tube, after it slowed I switched to the airlock and its almost done, but I can see bubbles still rising in the better bottle.

Basically, my take away is I've seen the 'leaky bucket no airlock activity' thing first hand, and as a new brewer it was scary (its why I picked 3gal clear bottles for future AG's so I can see the bubbles). But all 3 batches seem healthy and are "beer". Not sure how my super corny cream ale is gonna taste, but it sure looks nice.

CLIFF NOTES : Worried new brewers, you will find comfort using clear fermentation vessels with stoppers and blow offs...Non worried brewers, buckets make more beer.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:20 PM   #908
AdamHasser
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
Topping up an extract batch? If so, the high OG reading is because the wort and top off water were not thoroughly mixed. No worries there.

Krausen ring on the bucket indicates you had fermentation. It's probably done. Take a hydrometer reading to check.

Hydrometers are accurate post fermentation, refractometers need adjusted for liquid's alcohol content.
I wrote Hydrometer but I meant Refractometer. My kit didn't come with a hydrometer tube (dumb) but my brother had bought me a refractometer so my reading was with that. I did read up and saw that taking a measurement off the top could cause it to be high. I did take it off the top because I just had the small dropper that came with the refractometer. Maybe it wasn't mixed well enough when I took the reading.

Can I still get decent reading using the refractometer? I'm not worried about having the exact alcohol percentage as much as just knowing that it's done fermenting and can be moved to a secondary. Sounds like I might have to borrow a Hydrometer tube from my buddy.

Also is re-pitching after the initial dry yeast fermented going to throw off the flavor or anything?

Thanks for the reply, it makes me quite a bit less worried about it.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #909
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Nah, dude. The second pitch didn't do anything. It probably flocculated to the bottom. If it's done, skip the secondary and go to the bottling bucket to package.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:33 PM   #910
AdamHasser
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh_Jass View Post
Nah, dude. The second pitch didn't do anything. It probably flocculated to the bottom. If it's done, skip the secondary and go to the bottling bucket to package.
I figured it wouldn't but if the first pitch of yeast stalled because of the temp then it might finish the job.

I'm curious, why skip the secondary?

I planned on doing a gravity reading Sunday (14 days) and if it's right I'd move it to the secondary.

Quick Reply