Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 PM   #891
schokie
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Could just be some residual CO2 coming out of solution. Sometimes happens if the temp rises just a bit or the bucket gets jostled. It might actually be an infection in this case, but I wouldn't panic just yet.

Take a gravity reading. If the gravity is still dropping you probably have an infection. If its stable it was just residual CO2.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM   #892
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Ok, so going with everyone's advice, I broke the seal on the fermentation bucket and took a sample to check the gravity. When I opened it, this is what I saw:

It smells WONDERFUL! Just like a hoppy Irish Stout should smell. I don't smell any off flavors and to me (in my EXTREMELY NOVICE EXPERIENCE) it doesn't look infected. There are obvious signs of kraussen rise (and subsequent fall), there is yeast flocculation going on (clumps floating on the surface) and no visible signs of infection. I tasted it and it's quite bitter, I'm assuming because fermentation isn't complete yet (details below). Now on to the gravity information...

My OG was 1.042, right on the bottom of the suggested OG range. Today, 19 days into fermentation, the gravity reads 1.030. Here's where I get concerned. It wasn't until this past weekend (16-17 days into fermentation) that I had vigorous airlock activity. I figured that up to this point I had a weak seal on the bucket and was just accepting that. However, with no change in temperature (maybe 1 degree) and no physical agitation over the weekend (I was out of town), fermentation kicked off and I was getting serious activity in the airlock.

To me (again, very inexperienced) it seems as though there was just a SERIOUS delay (long lag phase?) in fermentation but everything seems to be going ok now. My guess is that I'm on the tail end of the "exponential growth" phase and now heading into the "stationary phase" with the yeast. Strange as it is, I'm just going to keep it fermenting in the same place for another 1-2 weeks and see what happens.

If anyone has any insight into this strange occurrence, please chime in, I'm all ears!

**EDIT**
I forgot to add that since Sunday night (2 days ago) the airlock activity had slowed some before I check the gravity this morning. Since I've put the lid back on, I have positive pressure and continual airlock activity again.

Old 02-26-2013, 04:16 PM   #893
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

interesting. keep us posted

Old 02-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #894
cookiepocket
Recipes 

Default I think I killed my yeast

So I'm brewing an Irish stout and I used a dry yeast. I brewed on Sunday (almost three days ago) and there's no sign of fermentation.
I believe my problem is in my yeast, after boiling the water to hydrate the yeast I'm pretty sure I didn't let it cool enough, and hence i think i killed my yeast.
Is it too late to add more yeast and revive my beer? or should I just swallow my losses and toss the beer?

Old 02-27-2013, 04:55 PM   #895
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

If your sanitation was good you can re-pitch. Not much to loose.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #896
cookiepocket
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
If your sanitation was good you can re-pitch. Not much to loose.
Thanks for the quick reply! Will re-pitch tonight!

Old 03-01-2013, 01:42 AM   #897
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCPayne View Post
Ok, so going with everyone's advice, I broke the seal on the fermentation bucket and took a sample to check the gravity. When I opened it, this is what I saw:

If anyone has any insight into this strange occurrence, please chime in, I'm all ears!
Judging by what I can see in the picture, the krausen ring in your bucket looks pretty healthy and suggests that quite a vigorous fermentation took place. Hard to say exactly but it looks like there was a good couple or few inches of krausen at peak fermentation. That would suggest, to me, that you should have had a lot more attenuation than you are reporting.

There isn't any chance that your hydrometer is knackered, is there?? I know you are still seeing airlock action but that could well just be off gassing.

Old 03-01-2013, 02:23 AM   #898
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, I couldn't resist any more so I opened her up and took another gravity reading. Just judging by the "surface floaters" the yeast are continuing to settle, there were significantly fewer floating clumps and fewer clumps in the sample I took. Gravity read 1.016, down from 1.030 from just 2 days ago. Expected FG is 1.010-1.012, so I'm right in the ball park for what Midwest said (5-7 days until fermentation is complete and ready to transfer to secondary, which I am skipping). I am at day 21 now, but 5-7 days from when fermentation actually kicked off (on day 16). The sample tasted SIGNIFICANTLY better than 2 days ago (less bitterness, more malt flavor, less hop aroma though). I know all that is still up for dramatic change and I'm not judging anything until it's complete, but it looks like I'm still on the right track. I figure another week in the primary, then I'll bottle and let it condition while I'm out of town for a week and give it a preliminary try when I get back from being out of town.

***EDIT*** (To add clarity)
Brewed: 2/7/13
Rehydrated dry Muntons at 80F & Pitched at 80F
OG: 1.042 (Expected OG 1.042-1.046)
Airlock (and Kraussen): 2/23-24/13 (Day 16-17) (I was out of town when it decided to wake up)
Gravity on 2/26/13 (Day 19): 1.030
Gravity on 2/28/13 (Day 21): 1.016 (Expected FG 1.010-1.012)

Old 03-01-2013, 02:56 PM   #899
SmithsonBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Brewed my first ale 3 days ago. Looks to be 2-3inches of nice yellow foam on top that started within the first twelve hours.

Had some issues with my pitching/initial fermentation temperature. Had my stick on thermometer too high up on my fermenting bucket that had my pre boiled water in it so it wasn't reading the water temp properly. I quickly cooled my wort down to approximately 80F but when I poured it in the fermenter, the stick on wasn't even registering at it's max of 82F. I pitched the pre hydrated yeast anyways which was around 80F. I assumed it would cool down quickly but after an hour and a half it still wasn't registering. So, i set up some fans and a wet t-shirt and got it in to the 68-70 range in about 2.5 hours.

As far as I can tell, the yeast is fine. Lots of foam, still there after 2 days and it smells like fermentation. But, no air lock activity. I have come to accept that the air lock is not an indicator of fermentation but I just feel like it should be doing something by now, especially with the activity inside the bucket.

Basically, I just want to know if this is a normal occurrence, when it may start bubbling and what are the consequences, if any, if it does not bubble throughout the fermentation process.

Thanks in advance!

Old 03-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #900
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Just give it time. You see a kraussen ring so you know fermentation is going. Forget the airlock activity mine went from 1.030 to 1.016 without a single bubble. You're at least lucky that you're in a carboy and can see the kraussen. Mine is in plastic bucket and I can't see squat haha

Quick Reply