Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2013, 01:12 AM   #881
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenIke View Post
Update: I did have fermentation. It was just much less active than my first brewing experience. Only had about 2.5" of krausen ring but gravity dropped form 1.060 to 1.029 so I think everything is fine. I did throw in another pack of yeast since I already had re-hydrated it.

Different beer and different yeast I guess. Patience
In the majority of these situations patience is the key

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 01:14 AM   #882
MileHiBrewingSupplies
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

That's right. All yeast strains perform a little differently...and it NEVER pays to rush your beer. Your beer should continue to drop to around 1.016 (give or take)...and it's fine that you added more yeast.

Enjoy!

Old 02-18-2013, 08:58 PM   #883
DerrangedPOJO
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default Air lock showed very quick moving bubbles whithin 12 hrs.

After 24 hours the bubbles have stopped?? I made my first partial mash( Brewers Best Witbier) a 5 gal batch. The OG reading was 1.047 which was right in between the estimated og reading. Is this normal? All my other batches were Mr. Beer 2 gal batches.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:37 PM   #884
schokie
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 22

If your OG was fine and you observed signs of initial fermentation, I wouldn't worry about it. I'm sure it's still fermenting and will make you excellent beer.

As has been said on here many times before, lack of airlock activity does NOT mean anything with regards to fermentation. The ONLY way is with a hydrometer. I have had beers that completely fermented and tasted awesome but didn't give me a single bubble in the airlock. All it takes is a bucket lid or airlock that didn't seal completely to allow the CO2 to escape without creating bubbles in your airlock.

Give it another week or two, then sample your SG twice, a few days apart, and if it's the same then your fermentation is complete.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #885
DerrangedPOJO
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Thanks, I was actually posting to state i did find this topic and answered my question. But i appreciate you answering me!!

Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 AM   #886
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I know the OP says 24-72 hours.....what about 2 and a half weeks? My Irish Stout has been in primary for 2.5 weeks now and I'm JUST NOW getting airlock activity. It's been in a ~70 degree bathroom in the tub half full of water and the water temp has been holding a steady 68 degrees. Thoughts? I was hoping to bottle this coming weekend but it looks like that may have to wait since fermentation is DEFINITELY still going strong.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:19 AM   #887
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

The patience you exhibited there, by waiting 2 and a 1/2 weeks before posting, is highly commendable. However, there must have been some kind of action going on, possibly not easy to identify (lack of a visible krausen, a subdued fermentation) but nevertheless present. Airlock activity, whilst fun to observe, isn't a reliable indicator to guage fermentation. Time to get the hydrometer out and test a sample as that's the best way to assess how your fermentation has progressed.

Certainly a bit strange that, at the temps you mention, it wasn't a faster and/or more dynamic fermentation.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #888
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

no airlock activity for 2.5 weeks and then bubbles sounds like an infection taking hold to me.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:35 PM   #889
JoppaFarms
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

It's in a plastic bucket. Should I take the lid off and peek? I don't even know what the damage looks like in there yet. I've been trying to be patient and not worry haha.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:09 PM   #890
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

i certainly would see what is going on. and take a gravity reading. if i don't get visible fermentation activity within 40 hours or so, i always check and smell before proceeding

Quick Reply