Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #861
Upthewazzu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleme View Post
I would peek inside and see if you have krausen floating. My guess is that your bucket just doesn't seal well enough to need the airlock.
I've found that using a flashlight is a better method than opening up the bucket. Turn the lights off, stick a flashlight up to the side of the bucket (towards the top), and you will be able to see exactly what's going on in there without risking infection.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #862
Bigloww
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.. I did the flashlight thing last night and it looked like there was about an inch of foamy stuff on the sides of the bucket above the beer line, so assume it is doing it's thing.. I will take a gravity reading in a couple days to see what's what.. Thanks again..

Old 01-23-2013, 06:38 PM   #863
brevity
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I'm on my second brew and can vouch for this thread. The first brew was so crazy it required a blow-off tube within the first 8 hours. I was really freaking out when my second brew was showing no signs of fermentation after 16 hours, especially when people mention how strong/fast US-05 is. Low and behold, by the 24 hour mark I had a small layer of foam and now, 3 days later, it's going quite strong.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:13 AM   #864
Lbillotto
Recipes 

I probably already know the answer, but wanted some opinions anyway. Brewed a batch of rye pale ale.OG as supposed to be saw fermentation within five hours. Temps were as required until we left the house for a medical issue. I came home to find my inlays were cold and jacked up the temp. Fermentation room was. Comp,eye mess and the temp appeared To have spiked around high 70s. Besides the mess it looks fine and fermentation is continuing. Not sure how long the temp was sustained. I'm guessing it should be okay, but how worried should I be about off flavors

Old 01-24-2013, 02:27 AM   #865
Ogri
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbillotto View Post
Temps were as required until we left the house for a medical issue. I came home to find my inlays were cold and jacked up the temp. Fermentation room was. Comp,eye mess and the temp appeared To have spiked around high 70s. .................................................. ......................... Not sure how long the temp was sustained. I'm guessing it should be okay, but how worried should I be about off flavors
The shorter the amount of time that fermentation temps were elevated to high 70's, the less off flavours should have developed. Getting them back down to where they should be as soon as, it seems like, you did probably helped and keeping them there until the first, vigorous, stage of fermentation, winds down, then raising them again to low/mid 70's will help the yeast stay active enough to clear up fermentation by-products, such as some of the off flavours and aromas produced in the first couple of days of fermentation.

What yeast were you using? Some yeasts thrive and do better at higher temps, others do better down at the lower end of their listed temp range.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #866
Hawkfanz
Recipes 

First time homebrewing and I'm hooked. Made the Hop Head IPA on Saturday and all went well but pretty sure I messed the yeast part up. I followed the directions for rehydrating the yeast but swirled it in the measuring glass instead of stirring before pitching into the primary (read bad advice). Later that night I cleaned the measuring cup and realized it had the creamy looking white layer on bottom still. Probably yeast? I'm afraid a lot didn't get in. It's been 60 hours with no airlock activity. I get another yeast delivered tomorrow (72hours) and star san delivered tomorrow or Thursday (96hours). Should I add more yeast Wednesday without doing a hydrometer test (I'm out of sanitizer) or wait till 96 hours when I have everything to really see what's going on before I repitch? Thanks!

Old 01-29-2013, 05:35 PM   #867
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Saw this thread mentioned on the front page of HBT, and thought to myself "if I ever have a beer that takes even TWELVE hours to start bubbling, then I musta really messed something up"

Amazing how your views change over the years with brewing, once you develop all processes fully (ie. stir plate starters)

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #868
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
Saw this thread mentioned on the front page of HBT, and thought to myself "if I ever have a beer that takes even TWELVE hours to start bubbling, then I musta really messed something up"

Amazing how your views change over the years with brewing, once you develop all processes fully (ie. stir plate starters)
Yeah, I don't think you're the target market of this thread

Old 01-29-2013, 08:11 PM   #869
nickmv
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
Yeah, I don't think you're the target market of this thread
Oh def not. I accidentally went to the main HBT page instead of the forums, and saw this thread advertised on the front page. Made me have a moment....

Primary #1 (SS Brew Bucket):
Primary #2 (SS 7G Chronical):
Primary #3 (Better Bottle): Rye Saison
Secondary #1: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #2: Pinot Grigio Kit
Secondary #3: Gewurztraminer Kit
On-Deck:
Kegged & Waiting: Citra Black IPA
ON TAP: n/a
2014 Beers So Far:
Belgian Wit | Burton IPA | Belgian Wit | Black IPA | Rye Saison | Hefeweizen

Old 01-29-2013, 08:37 PM   #870
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 242 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 317

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickmv View Post
Oh def not. I accidentally went to the main HBT page instead of the forums, and saw this thread advertised on the front page. Made me have a moment....
That's exactly how i ended up here. HbT sure knows how to sell the content we give it!

Quick Reply