Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #811
daddyo1109
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: st louis, MO
Posts: 27
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

So yeah, my airlock isn't bubbling. And it's been 3 1/2 days, so I used a small flashlight to check thru the airlock hole in the top and there is a krausen and it looks fairly active. So I guess when I popped in the airlock it probably came loose.
Anyway I guess I probably won't see any airlock bubbling now since I have twice pulled the airlock off to check the krausen inside. I can't transfer to secondary for another 4 or 5 days anyway.

HosenHausen Brews LLC
Bottled: Chocolate Santa, a hearty chocolate porter
Frank's Maple Porter, a dark porter
"Drink Like a Fish!"

__________________
daddyo1109 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 02:29 AM   #812
Peak0db
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Manchester, NH
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peak0db
I'm brewing a Scottish ale problem is fermentation started right away went great for 2 days then faltered after waiting it out for 9 days I figured I would move it to a secondary carboy still nothing . Should I try pitching yeast again to see if I can jump start fermentation any help would be appreciated ?
This beer came out good some say it's great but I'm not part of that crowd it's good and drinkable now I'm on to a stout playing the waiting game
__________________
Peak0db is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #813
jerrodm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Silver Spring, MD
Posts: 636
Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKaranka View Post
Hah, I have to remember that before doing anything, just make sure your bung is tight!
Words to live by. Nothing more troubling than a loose bung.
__________________
jerrodm is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 04:51 PM   #814
MattsFlyShop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 47
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsFlyShop View Post
I did a Brown Ale on Sunday Night (first brew in 20+ years), I started the Yeast as directed, and in as little as an hour I had bubbles, now at 36 Hrs, still a bubble every second to a second and a half, the fermenter was at 65* last night when I lasered it. I have about a half inch to an inch of foam on top, and the escaping gasses smell like good beer, I am so glad I picked this hobby back up!
OK, so someone describe the smell/taste of an infected brew... if a Brown Ale (4 weeks post brew) at bottling time smells ok but tastes like burning rubber or even a little like iodine is that a normal thing at this stage?
__________________
MattsFlyShop is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2012, 11:19 PM   #815
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 829
Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsFlyShop View Post
OK, so someone describe the smell/taste of an infected brew... if a Brown Ale (4 weeks post brew) at bottling time smells ok but tastes like burning rubber or even a little like iodine is that a normal thing at this stage?
I would say, NO.

Sounds like you might have some chlorophenol type compound there.

When you say "like iodine", is it a medicinal, band-aid type flavour? The "burnt rubber" suggests acrid or sort of an astringent flavour, but does it resemble a plastic-y type of Taste?

What puzzles me is that you say that it smells fine.

My only experience of a truly infected brew, to my knowledge, was that it tasted absolutely fine but the aroma from the fermenter had a slightly moldy hint, kind of like penicillin. Have another brew that had a bit of an oil paint/thinners smell about it and tasted a mixture of sweet, bitter and slightly sour but that might have been some other cause, although both brews were going at the same time and right next to each other, right enough. I attributed the off flavours and smells to a possibly too high fermentation temp at some point in the first few days.
__________________
Ogri is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #816
MattsFlyShop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 47
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri

I would say, NO.

Sounds like you might have some chlorophenol type compound there.

When you say "like iodine", is it a medicinal, band-aid type flavour? The "burnt rubber" suggests acrid or sort of an astringent flavour, but does it resemble a plastic-y type of Taste?

What puzzles me is that you say that it smells fine.

My only experience of a truly infected brew, to my knowledge, was that it tasted absolutely fine but the aroma from the fermenter had a slightly moldy hint, kind of like penicillin. Have another brew that had a bit of an oil paint/thinners smell about it and tasted a mixture of sweet, bitter and slightly sour but that might have been some other cause, although both brews were going at the same time and right next to each other, right enough. I attributed the off flavours and smells to a possibly too high fermentation temp at some point in the first few days.
Yes, band aid good description... What causes that? Will it dissipate? Or is it a total loss?
__________________
MattsFlyShop is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:11 AM   #817
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 829
Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsFlyShop View Post
Yes, band aid good description... What causes that? Will it dissipate? Or is it a total loss?
Haven't experienced it myself but from what I understand it's caused by chlorine, or chloramine in your water. Chlorine can be dissipated from the water relatively easily by merely leaving the batch of water in an open container for a few hours but chloramine doesn't cooperate so easily. I think you need to boil your water for quite a while to get rid of it. It can supposedly leave a band aid/plastic-y flavour in your beer from seemingly insignificant quantities, maybe even as little as that left over in starsan solution or in priming sugar solution. The off flavour increases in intensity with time. The simple solution to getting rid of chloramine in your water is to use Campden tablets. Maybe someone else on here can tell you the exact dilution ratio of campden pill to water you'll need.
__________________
Ogri is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:32 AM   #818
MattsFlyShop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 47
Likes Given: 6

Default

Thank you. Wow, I used Alhambra bottled water, never thought my water would cause that, I've brewed 2 more batches the same way, too.
Would a residue of iodine cause this too?

__________________
MattsFlyShop is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 01:45 AM   #819
MattsFlyShop
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sparks, Nevada
Posts: 47
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri

Haven't experienced it myself but from what I understand it's caused by chlorine, or chloramine in your water. Chlorine can be dissipated from the water relatively easily by merely leaving the batch of water in an open container for a few hours but chloramine doesn't cooperate so easily. I think you need to boil your water for quite a while to get rid of it. It can supposedly leave a band aid/plastic-y flavour in your beer from seemingly insignificant quantities, maybe even as little as that left over in starsan solution or in priming sugar solution. The off flavour increases in intensity with time. The simple solution to getting rid of chloramine in your water is to use Campden tablets. Maybe someone else on here can tell you the exact dilution ratio of campden pill to water you'll need.
I suppose even Alhambra treats their water with chlorine, the Sierra clone is next in line... I hope this isn't a trend.
__________________
MattsFlyShop is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #820
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Visalia, CA
Posts: 1,985
Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Default

I don't think there is any chlorine in Alhambra water. Did you sanitize anything with bleach?

__________________
bleme is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show off your beer signs! aekdbbop General Beer Discussion 10 07-18-2013 10:25 AM
No visible fermentation? hal simmons General Techniques 4 03-05-2012 04:55 PM
no visible fermentation? eatria Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 12-01-2011 04:10 PM
Does oxidation have visible signs? fotomatt1 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 10-06-2009 02:27 PM
No visible signs of yeast activity? msa8967 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 21 08-18-2009 12:59 AM