Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #781
bleme
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer

A sanitized whisk works really well to froth it up.
I shake like mad for 5 minutes with my carboys. I use a hand blender with whisk attachment for 5 minutes with my buckets. Will eventually get a whip degassing rod which should work on both as I've heard good things about them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2012, 10:30 PM   #782
GameFreac
Recipes 

After re-pitching 2 days ago, I can see a huge layer of krausen on top of the beer now through the airlock hole, so it's finally fermenting. Yay.

Old 09-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #783
Tkelly32
Recipes 

Default I hate liquid yeast

I used to always have this prob, and I had a smack pack laying around made a hodgepodge beer and am worried if I have too much sugar in there because I used chocolate wheat malt and some other malts Ive never used before. And I had a smack pack laying around, its been 26 hours no bubbles yet... and yes I know bubbles dont mean fermenting but I like bubbles and bubbles like me. I am never using liquid yeast again bros, its all about that dry yeast and making a starter for ya boy from here on out. Booya!

Old 09-24-2012, 12:14 AM   #784
GameFreac
Recipes 

After 4 days, the krausen is gone. Is this normal?

Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #785
jtkratzer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkelly32
I used to always have this prob, and I had a smack pack laying around made a hodgepodge beer and am worried if I have too much sugar in there because I used chocolate wheat malt and some other malts Ive never used before. And I had a smack pack laying around, its been 26 hours no bubbles yet... and yes I know bubbles dont mean fermenting but I like bubbles and bubbles like me. I am never using liquid yeast again bros, its all about that dry yeast and making a starter for ya boy from here on out. Booya!
26 hours is nothing. Have you tried a starter with the liquid? Liquid gives you way more options for specific beer styles and dry yeasts don't need starters...but do what you want, that's part of the fun with brewing.

Lifetime NRA Membership for $300 - 888-678-7894

Dual Stage Fermentation Chamber Build

My e-Brew Magic HERMS build

Old 09-24-2012, 03:35 AM   #786
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameFreac
After 4 days, the krausen is gone. Is this normal?
Can be. Depends on the gravity, yeast type, pitch rate...

Old 09-24-2012, 05:51 PM   #787
Tkelly32
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
26 hours is nothing. Have you tried a starter with the liquid? Liquid gives you way more options for specific beer styles and dry yeasts don't need starters...but do what you want, that's part of the fun with brewing.
I have not made a starter, I have all the tools to make a stir-plate but have not brought myself to make it because of the cutting and slicing of the electrical cord, I hope to make one soon though. I do hydrate the dry yeast when I use it, I just find that when using the rehydrated dry yeast the fermentation takes off within a few hours, and each time I use the liquid it takes 18 hours at least.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #788
jtkratzer

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkelly32

I have not made a starter, I have all the tools to make a stir-plate but have not brought myself to make it because of the cutting and slicing of the electrical cord, I hope to make one soon though. I do hydrate the dry yeast when I use it, I just find that when using the rehydrated dry yeast the fermentation takes off within a few hours, and each time I use the liquid it takes 18 hours at least.
With a starter or proper pitch rate, liquid normally doesn't take that long for me. There are way more choices in liquid for specific beer styles you can't get with dry. All personal preference and what you want to do with your beer.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #789
GameFreac
Recipes 

Update: 2 weeks later, my beer has an FG of 1.013. The OG was 1.050. So I guess it's around 4.9%. Not too bad for an IPA. Gonna check again in 3 days and if it's constant, I'll bottle on Wednesday. Thank you Nottingham dry yeast for saving my dead fermentation.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:14 PM   #790
jerrodm
Recipes 

Liked 117 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtkratzer View Post
With a starter or proper pitch rate, liquid normally doesn't take that long for me. There are way more choices in liquid for specific beer styles you can't get with dry. All personal preference and what you want to do with your beer.
Agreed--I pretty much only use White Labs vials (not because they're better per se, I'm just a creature of habit, and I know the strains I like to use), and I always make a starter, and my beers generally always have active signs of fermentation w/in 12-15 hrs. The one exception I find is with bigger gravity beers, they tend to take a little longer to get really booming, perhaps because the starter is a lower OG than the wort?

Quick Reply