Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 PM   #751
Bikerbrewgal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I'm a new homebrewer (1 yr. extract brewing) and this is the first of my 12 batches that showed absolutely no airlock activity for the first 3.5 days. Brewed a Torpedo IPA clone. Hop heavy with an OG of 1.060. Pitched dry at 72 degrees. Set in basement where temp dropped to 68 & is now resting at 66. This morning I pulled the lid to take a peek and sure enough, there is plenty of krausen floating on top. When I closed the lid securely I noticed a very small amount of percolating from the airlock. Whew. Was a tad concerned about this one as IPAs are my fav-o-rite and I didn't want to ruin it.

**UPDATE: Checked gravity.... OG= 1.060; FG=1.010 potential ABV= 6.5%. Lesson learned...ALWAYS do a gravity reading. This is the first beer I've brewed that had absolutely NO airlock activity for the entire 13 days in primary. If I didn't take an OG reading, I would have thought that I needed to re-pitch the yeast, and would have mistakenly done so. By day 7 in primary, the krausen had sunk to the bottom and the gravity reading told me that the beer had, in fact, fermented. Off to secondary I go w/ some dry-hopping.

Last edited by Bikerbrewgal; 06-25-2012 at 01:55 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #752
kevin009
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
Great sticky, because it is a popular question.

I will say though, let's not advocate that thinking fermentation starting in more than 12 hours is a good thing. It isn't. Any longer than 12 hours and you are looking for trouble--infections, sub-par beer and quite frankly it is a bad brewing practice.

Let's stress this thread on doing starters, aerating and oxygenating, and fundamental brewing practices!
Agreed!

Crave for a thing, you will get it. Renounce the craving, the object will follow you by itself.

- Swami Sivananda

Old 07-05-2012, 07:05 AM   #753
James929292
Recipes 

Can I brew 1 gallon with 10 grains of visible yeast? Will it even ferment?

Old 07-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #754
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It should. Whether you try it or not probably has a direct correlation with how fond you are of Vegas.

Old 08-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #755
mikemet
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Why not post in the yeast thread- someone will stumble along and say- heh thats happening to me too!

I have had some great success lately with the yeast. I have recently started brewing again- after a 20 year, 1 batch hiatus.

My IPA- yeast was great.
My Belguim took off like CRAZY
My MrBeer Experimental jug with 2 year old ingredients- including the yeast- took off instantly.
My Apfelwein- sweet lovely yeast.

Last batch- a nice pale ale- no crazy fermentation action till way after the 24 hour mark. After studying yeast in all of my batches- I knew everything would be fine. The wort was sweet, the temp was great, my feeling is that the yeast should have woken the heck up and kicked major butt- but that only happened after a little patience.

Tonight when I get home I expect either nice smelling air lock smells or some bad ass rhino farts. The yeast is alive and doing its job. Good work boys.... not get back to making beer.

Primary 1 > Funky Dunky w/ Lemon test
Primary 2 > Apfelwein
Primary 3 > Experimental Pale Ale

Bottled > Bellys Belgium-E, Brown Eye PA-E, Pale Ale-E, Guinness -biab, Apfelwein, Funky Dunky Blonde-biab

Old 08-07-2012, 12:24 AM   #756
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Just wanted to throw in my own no-bubbles story. I brewed a Brooklyn Brewshop Belgian Dubbel on Saturday (my first all-grain brew). Took a *lot* longer than I realized, and when I couldn't get the wort below 80F by midnight I just said "Close enough" and filled the jug with my wort and dumped the yeast on top. Stuck it down in my 70F basement and had absolutely no activity for two days. I was starting to get a little concerned, so I read through this thread and found the suggestion to shake up the fermenter a bit. Since it's just a one-gallon jug it was pretty easy to whirlpool the wort a bit and get the yeast back in to suspension. Four hours later, I still don't have any airlock activity, but I can see the yeast doing *something*. So I think I'll just let it go and see what happens.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:08 PM   #757
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorMemory View Post
Just wanted to throw in my own no-bubbles story. I brewed a Brooklyn Brewshop Belgian Dubbel on Saturday (my first all-grain brew). Took a *lot* longer than I realized, and when I couldn't get the wort below 80F by midnight I just said "Close enough" and filled the jug with my wort and dumped the yeast on top. Stuck it down in my 70F basement and had absolutely no activity for two days. I was starting to get a little concerned, so I read through this thread and found the suggestion to shake up the fermenter a bit. Since it's just a one-gallon jug it was pretty easy to whirlpool the wort a bit and get the yeast back in to suspension. Four hours later, I still don't have any airlock activity, but I can see the yeast doing *something*. So I think I'll just let it go and see what happens.
Has it started?

Old 08-08-2012, 12:22 AM   #758
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-ost View Post
Has it started?
Nope. I can see these little "puffs" of what looks like foam popping to the top pretty regularly, but still no airlock activity and no real krausen to speak of on top. Think I'll swing by the homebrew store tomorrow and pick up another pack of Safbrew T-58 (or whatever Belgian yeast they have).

Old 08-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #759
DoctorMemory
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well, I seem to have brewed yeasticide. I picked up another packet of yeast and pitched it yesterday. 24 hours later and there is no activity. There also appears to be some kind of oily film on top of my wort. This is only a one-gallon batch, so I'll probably go ahead and bottle it, but I'm not expecting much.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:14 PM   #760
mmcouch
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default too much heat during re-hydration?

Brewed my first batch last night and worried that I killed the yeast during re-hydration. I microwaved a cup of a water for about a minute or a little more then poured it on top of the dry yeast in a mason jar and covered. It sat like this for about an hour. I gave the jar a good swirl to stir it up before pitching. If the water was too hot could I have killed the yeast? It's been ~ 24 hrs since pitching with no activity (I peeped though the airlock gasket). After reading the majority of this thread I know that I need to wait a least a few more days before taking action.

Comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply