Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 11:48 AM   #731
PIG20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindzombie View Post
yup clear better bottle. Well I'm happy to say it's bubbling along merrily now. forming a nice thick kruesen (sp?) and lots of swirlies inside. Truth time, though- it was my first time using a White Labs vial (used a smack-pack for my second batch and dry for my first), and I shook the hell out of it to get the yeast that was suck on the side, and when I cracked that puppy- hoo boy... it went EVERYWHERE. I'm pretty sure I got most of it in the fermenter, though. oh well- like I said it's goin' strong now and time will tell if I funked it up with my grubby hands.
It should be fine. I guess I should have warned you about that. When I shook my Imperial IPA, I took the airlock off and used my thumb to cover the rubber grommet. Needless to say when I removed my thumb after shaking, it exploded like a volcano through the airlock. Luckily I took it outisde when I did that or I would have had quite a mess in the house.

When it was all said and done, the beer tasted just fine.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #732
k-trips
Recipes 

I started my first brew at 7pm tonight (2 hours ago) and I have the opposite problem to this thread - I heard the first bubble in the kitchen around 15-20 minutes after I put the lid on and have been watching intently since.

It now bubbles some good size bubbles every 3 or 4 minutes but just before it left off an almightly belch that lasted 1-2 seconds through the air lock.

I half filled the air-lock with water - is this too much and its causing the "belching"?
When I say half filled it was half filled when I started - now the pressure has built up the water has pushed up the airlock and the bulb on side is mostly full where the other bulb is empty.

Will it settle to a more even bubble pace or is this irregular belching OK.

Also another noob question - should I have measured with the hydrometer before I started to get a benchmark? Is it too late now?
Whats the easiest way to measure the SG without taking the lid off? I don't have a tall thin vessel to plop the hydrometer into so I would need to decant out a pint or so and I don't want to waste it

Cheers heaps guys

Old 05-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #733
k-trips
Recipes 

It just did another mega belch - it fired some of the water out of the airlock this time.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:09 AM   #734
k-trips
Recipes 

OK so took a look at the airlock and it looked like there was some water trapped in the very top of the airlock and got that out by squeezing the fermenter firmly but slowly. The water in the top of the airlock was pushed out mostly and then the rest was sucked back into the secondary bulb.

The bubbles slowed for a while (obviously as I had evacuated some of the pressure by squeezing it) but now its back up to speed again but without the loud belching of before. I'm happier with this result.

Still does interest me as to why some people can't get a ferment to start for several days and my one started in 20 odd minutes.. Have I done something incorrectly?

Old 05-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #735
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-trips View Post
Still does interest me as to why some people can't get a ferment to start for several days and my one started in 20 odd minutes.. Have I done something incorrectly?
Short answer, no.

Long answer, we would have to know your recipe to know more and even still, no.

Since you are using an S type (2 chamber) airlock then your bubbles might have a little more force to them because of the narrow passage way. If you were using a 3 piece it may not appear as vigorous because it is easier for the gas to escape.

I want to mention it is recommended to use something that will stay sterile in your airlock (star san mix or vodka are common). The reason being if you have "suck back" which it sounds like you may have caused while pressing on the fermenter. DON'T WORRY, during the vigorous stage of fermentation is the most difficult time for your beer to become infected.

If it has started to ferment I would not try to draw a sample to take a Hydro. If you brewed an extract kit you should already know the expected OG and that should be good enough.

There are so many variables to fermentation and it is the goal of the brewer to minimize those variables. Yeast health, yeast count, pitching temp, fermenting temp, fermentables, un-fermentables, etc etc... This is why some brews will take longer than others to get going. This is your first brew and I'm certain you will at some point have a slow starting batch, unless you start using a good starter everytime which usually decreases lag time the most.

Old 05-17-2012, 11:36 PM   #736
k-trips
Recipes 

Thanks for that - most appreciate your time to answer. I have another question but will search for it already having been asked or start a new thread if not.

Old 05-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #737
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Made my first batch Friday (5-18). Brewers best kit of english brown ale. I under estimated how long it would take to cool the wort and it was still 95 - 100 deg when I had to leave for work so I moved it to the fermenter put lid and airlock (with water) on and headed into work. I pitched the yeast about 9 hours or so later (about 11 pm) when I got home. Wort temp was about 70f. Next morning it was bubbling about once a second and has been at that same pace since.
Since reading this forum though I am now worried I might have messed up pouring the wort into the fermenter at to high a temperature. Will things be ok?

Brew On!

Old 05-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #738
JeepBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grem135
Made my first batch Friday (5-18). Brewers best kit of english brown ale. I under estimated how long it would take to cool the wort and it was still 95 - 100 deg when I had to leave for work so I moved it to the fermenter put lid and airlock (with water) on and headed into work. I pitched the yeast about 9 hours or so later (about 11 pm) when I got home. Wort temp was about 70f. Next morning it was bubbling about once a second and has been at that same pace since.
Since reading this forum though I am now worried I might have messed up pouring the wort into the fermenter at to high a temperature. Will things be ok?
Nah, it's probably fine. I made that one last December. It will bubble fiercely. For about 36 hours then it slows way down. You'll be fine. It's a very good beer.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #739
grem135
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBrew View Post
Nah, it's probably fine. I made that one last December. It will bubble fiercely. For about 36 hours then it slows way down. You'll be fine. It's a very good beer.
36 hours is just about what it did at 1 bubble per second. Then it slowed to virtually nothing. or maybe nothing now. 66 hours since pitch. I had to buy more beer and having trouble leaving it alone .

If wife has to work memorial day then I want to brew a Wit... guess I'll have rack the brown to secondary first

Brew On!

Old 05-22-2012, 02:31 AM   #740
JeepBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

@grem135;

When in doubt take a hydrometer reading and have a taste.

Quick Reply