Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2012, 12:23 AM   #711
guinness_time
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well................as I should have guessed I posted too soon. Almost as soon as I got done posting my paranoid post above, I went to my fermentor and in what could have been a fit of rage I shook the S$#T out of it. It bubbled like crazy in the blow off bucket and now 4 hours later it is still just bubbling right along. Go figure. Guess that little shake was all it needed. Who would have thought. Cheers!!

"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Facium"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2012, 03:18 PM   #712
JDFlow
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I just pitched Wyeast London Ale 1318 yeast in this 1.046 OG wort at 6:30pm yesterday and already have significant (to my newby eyes) fermentation happening. I took a quick vid to get some advice. Is this normal for 14 hours after pitching the yeast?

http://youtu.be/BgQiz6e0m7E

Old 04-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #713
mezzoblue
Recipes 

Default Looks okay to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow View Post
I just pitched Wyeast London Ale 1318 yeast in this 1.046 OG wort at 6:30pm yesterday and already have significant (to my newby eyes) fermentation happening. I took a quick vid to get some advice. Is this normal for 14 hours after pitching the yeast?
That does look like two or three days into a 1318 fermentation to my eyes, but I usually make 1.060+ beers so my lag time is longer.

The only thing I'd check: what's the temperature at? If it's over 70 then it's possibly working too quickly. If not, then you just have a fresh active yeast strain that loves your wort. Good job.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 AM   #714
JDFlow
Recipes 

It's been between 65 and 72. When I checked awhile ago it was bubbling up into and out of the airlock. I called my LHBS and asked what to do and was told to give it a little shake to suppress the bubbling over momentarily so I could clean and replace the airlock. I did and within a few hours it was bubbling over again. So then I went to the hardware store and got a larger gauge vinyl hose that fits over the airlock spout and created a makeshift blow-off tube until I can get into my LHBS tomorrow after work to set up a proper one. My LHBS warned against blow-off tubes as a big NO, but the way things were going I'd have wort all over the floor with the overflow of the airlock. Why would they warn against a blow-off tube? Anyway, this is my first batch, an oatmeal stout, and I've learned a lot about what to expect next time. I'm loving it.

Last edited by JDFlow; 04-23-2012 at 01:47 AM.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:52 AM   #715
JDFlow
Recipes 

Well, I just read the following on the wyeast site:

Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 64-74° F (18-23° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Apparently I'm in the sweet spot on the temp range and this yeast can really devour some sugar all the way to 10 abv. This may end up closer to the imperial stout spectrum.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:01 AM   #716
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 275 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Either you misunderstood what the LHBS was saying or you need to completely ignore everything he says. Just smile and nod.

There is absolutely no reason not to use a proper blow-off.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #717
guinness_time
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
It's been between 65 and 72. When I checked awhile ago it was bubbling up into and out of the airlock. I called my LHBS and asked what to do and was told to give it a little shake to suppress the bubbling over momentarily so I could clean and replace the airlock. I did and within a few hours it was bubbling over again. So then I went to the hardware store and got a larger gauge vinyl hose that fits over the airlock spout and created a makeshift blow-off tube until I can get into my LHBS tomorrow after work to set up a proper one. My LHBS warned against blow-off tubes as a big NO, but the way things were going I'd have wort all over the floor with the overflow of the airlock. Why would they warn against a blow-off tube? Anyway, this is my first batch, an oatmeal stout, and I've learned a lot about what to expect next time. I'm loving it.
Not sure why he said no blow off tube. I use one on every beer I do at the beginning and sometimes I don't even need it. The only suggestion I can offer is to use a bucket to catch what ever is blowing out and fill it up with Star San or even water to cover the opening of the hose. That way it is sort of like a make shift ferm lock and you can also see it bubbling so you know everything is working on the inside if you are using a bucket. I will usually leave the hose on for at least 4-5 days or less if I can see it's not going to push Krausen and foam up through the opening. Hope this helps.

Oh I'm with bleme also, if he is saying to "Never" use a blowoff tube then just smile and nod. Some people have weird practices and it isn't the law, although they would like you to think it was. A good book to pick up if you didn't get it with you starter kit is "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" I still reference mine sometimes, a lot of good info in there.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:34 AM   #718
JDFlow
Recipes 

Quote:
Well, I just read the following on the wyeast site:

Flocculation: high
Attenuation: 71-75%
Temperature Range: 64-74° F (18-23° C)
Alcohol Tolerance: approximately 10% ABV

Apparently I'm in the sweet spot on the temp range and this yeast can really devour some sugar all the way to 10 abv. This may end up closer to the imperial stout spectrum.
LOL @ myself. Newb delusions of grandeur. I'd need more malt/sugars for the yeast to chomp on to boost the ABV. At least I'm learning...

Old 04-25-2012, 12:40 AM   #719
JDFlow
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness_time View Post
Not sure why he said no blow off tube. I use one on every beer I do at the beginning and sometimes I don't even need it. The only suggestion I can offer is to use a bucket to catch what ever is blowing out and fill it up with Star San or even water to cover the opening of the hose.
Exactly what I did, except into a pitcher with one step. The heavy fermentation only lasted two nights. I put a new sanitized airlock back on. Three days in and I'm still seeing a bubble every 37 seconds in the airlock. Is that good and how slow does bubbling usually get when primary fermentation is over?

Old 04-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #720
guinness_time
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFlow

Exactly what I did, except into a pitcher with one step. The heavy fermentation only lasted two nights. I put a new sanitized airlock back on. Three days in and I'm still seeing a bubble every 37 seconds in the airlock. Is that good and how slow does bubbling usually get when primary fermentation is over?
It's really up to you. I used to rack to a secondary right at 7 days or when I had about a bubble a min in the airlock Now that I've got some brew stock piled I'll wait until most of the Krausen drops. Sometimes a week, sometimes more. It's good to wait until the yeast is done and cleaned up after itself. A lot if people won't touch the primary for at least two weeks. I've pulled it sooner just because I wanted beer to drink and it still turned out fine. It's just personal preference. You'll see as time goes on and you learn a bit more here and there. I'm still learning and reading. Always finding something I can improve. Cheers.

Quick Reply