Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2012, 01:32 AM   #701
Lbillotto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Delmar, New York
Posts: 15
Default

During the normal carbonation period or should I age it longer?

__________________
Lbillotto is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #702
H-ost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,753
Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

2 things that I know of:

1) she could have just gotten a huge wiff of CO2 to the point it slightly burned or smelled of sulfur.

2) Although I personally have not experienced this, I have heard some yeasts/fermentations just stink. I have definitely heard it described as a sulfur smell.

All in all I HIGHLY doubt your beer is in anyway ruined. If you think you are ready to package you should proceed as normal with taking gravity readings and if you wish, wait an extra few days and see if it dies off. Aging the beer will only help it.

__________________
H-ost is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 10:37 AM   #703
Lbillotto
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Delmar, New York
Posts: 15
Default

I bottled regardless and hoped for the best. The one thing I've learned from this thread is that as long as you do things normal it's hard to screw up a beer. The FG was Where it should be and hadn't changed in a while.ill ley you know in a couple if it aged out. Good thing there will be a pilsner ready in between

__________________
Lbillotto is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #704
H-ost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,753
Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbillotto View Post
I bottled regardless and hoped for the best. The one thing I've learned from this thread is that as long as you do things normal it's hard to screw up a beer. The FG was Where it should be and hadn't changed in a while.ill ley you know in a couple if it aged out. Good thing there will be a pilsner ready in between
...Pipelines are glorious
__________________
H-ost is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2012, 03:04 AM   #705
MostWanted
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips
I started brewing a Sierra Nevada clone from Midwest supply on Sunday (4/1/12). I used a white labs vial and did not do a starter, just sprinkled the vial on top after I aerated it (poured back and forth through a colander 10+ times to clean out some of the hops and aerate). It started a healthy bubbling Monday morning when I checked it. It's been very hot here in Florida, the first day it was at 82 (I have a strip thermometer on the outside of the bucket). I though this may be too hot so I put the bucket in a spare fridge that I have on Tuesday. My intention was to try and keep it around 70-75. I checked it Wednesday morning again for bubbling and realized it got done to 62. There was no sign of activity. I turned the fridge off and the bucket (as of Thursday) is up to 72F, though I still see no signs of activity. I'm wondering if I killed off the yeast and need to repitch some?
I'm in Miami and I think I have the same problem. I put my carboy in my kegerator at the highest possible setting but it dropped into the 60s overnight. Now the fermentation seems stuck. I hope it won't be a problem. Did your fermentation continue?
__________________
MostWanted is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #706
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 829
Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenSnips View Post
I started brewing a Sierra Nevada clone from Midwest supply on Sunday (4/1/12). I used a white labs vial and did not do a starter, just sprinkled the vial on top after I aerated it (poured back and forth through a colander 10+ times to clean out some of the hops and aerate). It started a healthy bubbling Monday morning when I checked it. It's been very hot here in Florida, the first day it was at 82 (I have a strip thermometer on the outside of the bucket). I though this may be too hot so I put the bucket in a spare fridge that I have on Tuesday. My intention was to try and keep it around 70-75. I checked it Wednesday morning again for bubbling and realized it got done to 62. There was no sign of activity. I turned the fridge off and the bucket (as of Thursday) is up to 72F, though I still see no signs of activity. I'm wondering if I killed off the yeast and need to repitch some?
This is just a "possible" scenario but if the initial fermentation was at a higher temperature, I.E @ 82F, that could have sped up the initial vigorous fermentation stage leading to a shorter fermentation period. You'll quite likely have some funky esters and phenols, as a result of the high temps in the initial stage, which might mellow out with another couple of weeks, or so, in the primary.

Generally, I try to maintain low to mid 60s for the first 4 or 5 days of fermentation then high 60s to low 70s for the next couple of weeks and its turned out some pretty god beers for me, so far.

Don't sweat it too much though. I'm sure you'll have a decent enough beer to drink for your efforts.
__________________
Ogri is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 12:41 PM   #707
Ogri
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 829
Liked 75 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostWanted View Post
I'm in Miami and I think I have the same problem. I put my carboy in my kegerator at the highest possible setting but it dropped into the 60s overnight. Now the fermentation seems stuck. I hope it won't be a problem. Did your fermentation continue?

See above post.

Also, if you established your OG, do a sample check for your present SG to see if there has been a drop. Worst case scenario you can raise the temp a bit, although you really shouldn't have any problems fermenting anywhere in the 60s, or you could pitch some more yeast to get it going again but you'll more than likely be ok. Supposedly Champagne yeast is pretty good for getting more attenuation when fermentation has stalled from certain long chain sugar compounds that don't break down so easily, such as those in darker or roasted malts.

Having said that, did you put the carboy in your kegerator before fermentation had even showed signs of starting?? If so, letting it warm up a little might be all you need to do to kickstart the yeast into action. Once they're up and running, cooling it down to the mid 60s will be good for your brew's first few days.
__________________
Ogri is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #708
H-ost
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bellevue, WA
Posts: 1,753
Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default

Low 60's are actually a great temperature for many yeasts. At 60* it is right around the lowest end of the optimum temp range for many common ale yeasts. This can be seen as good thing because, for me, my basement holds 58-60 around this time of year and once the yeast start eating they are producing their own heat, raising them temp a few degrees, and putting them in the correct temp range.

I had thought I stalled a brew once or twice due to temps as low as 56 before and was proven wrong in the end. Remember to give it time and let it do its thing then after a little or when you get curious consult your hydrometer.

__________________
H-ost is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2012, 04:18 AM   #709
MostWanted
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogri

See above post.

Also, if you established your OG, do a sample check for your present SG to see if there has been a drop. Worst case scenario you can raise the temp a bit, although you really shouldn't have any problems fermenting anywhere in the 60s, or you could pitch some more yeast to get it going again but you'll more than likely be ok. Supposedly Champagne yeast is pretty good for getting more attenuation when fermentation has stalled from certain long chain sugar compounds that don't break down so easily, such as those in darker or roasted malts.

Having said that, did you put the carboy in your kegerator before fermentation had even showed signs of starting?? If so, letting it warm up a little might be all you need to do to kickstart the yeast into action. Once they're up and running, cooling it down to the mid 60s will be good for your brew's first few days.
Ogri and H-ost,
Thanks for your feedback/advice! My OG was 1.048 and the wort temp was about 80 when I pitched. The kegerator was at room temp when I put the carboy in. Fermentation started the following day and had excellent bubbling the third day. Temp was at about 65. I had difficulties regulating the temp and it actually dropped to about 56. Turned off the kegerator and let it rise back to 68-70. The bubbling didn't come back so I got nervous.

It's now been 7 days since fermentation started. Temp has been roughly at 65. I checked SG and it's down to 1.012. The beer is actually tasting fine. It's still very cloudy though. I will leave it in primary for another 7 days and check SG again. If all goes well I will then keg it and have a brew party! It's been 18 years since my last home brew. I hope to do many more.
__________________
MostWanted is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 06:49 PM   #710
guinness_time
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Olympia, Washington
Posts: 44
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

Ok so with the number of people on this thread I'm hoping someone will get back to me. I wasn't going to write but I guess I just want someone to ease my mind. So here is the deal, I'm doing an IPA (12# US 2 Row, 1# Crystal,1# Munich Lite 10L, 8oz Cara-pils, mashed at 154 for 70 minutes then flysparged), fermenting in a NEW bucket I haven't used, I harvested PacMan yeast off of two bottles of Rogue Chocolate Stout (delicious btw), the yeast was pitched in 1l starter. I started it at half a liter for 48 hours, shook it all the time and the yeast was working, I added another half liter for another 48 hours or more and had at least 1/2inch of nice creamy yeast on the bottom of the growler before I pitched. The beer's OG was 1.061, I made sure it got plenty of oxygen going into the fermentor like I always do, I pitched between 70 and 75 degrees I think, I broke my thermometer and had to use a back up that I calibrated in ice water but still don't trust it. I'm fermenting about 68 degrees (I know everyone ferments lower with PacMan but I don't have anyway to get it to 60-65 and hold it). Anyway I have a blow off hose running to a bucket with a few inches of Star San in it. After 24 hours no bubbles in the blow off bucket like I usually get. It's now 36+ hours and I spent last night reading almost every page on this tread and a few others. I popped the top this morning and I have a small Krausen ring and some undeniable foam almost up to the hose but still short by a few inches with some brown Krausen here in there on top of the foam. My LHBS isn't open until tomorrow so I'm waiting until then to go and get some dry yeast. So I guess my question is WTF is up with this. Did I under pitch and it's taking awhile to take off, is my bucket leaking somewhere (I'm going to spray some star san around the spots it may be leaking and see if I can get some bubbles from air escaping). Also when I push the lid of the bucket I almost immediately get bubbles in the blowoff bucket. I know there is pressure. Could this thing have stalled out or something. Like I said before I know the yeast was working, I'm posting a pick of it before I pitched. I'm just worried this will be a waste of time harvesting that yeast because I wanted to wash it and have it for other brews after this one finished so I really don't want to pitch dry on top of it. Then I also used some of my best Simcoe hops I've been saving for this IPA and don't want them to go to waste. I know the beer won't be bad even if I have to pitch dry on top but, well it's just irritating that this thing didn't take off and I'm regretting just not pitching WLP001 on it like I do all my other IPAs. Speaking of WLP001 I'll be washing some tomorrow morning and was just going to pitch one of the washed jars on top, it will be at the right temp, so I'm thinking just wash as usual, then instead of sealing it up with the others, just pitch it on top as another option. But as I said before I really wanted to harvest this PacMan and not use a different yeast. I'm leaving for a few days tomorrow so I have to make a decision by then if I'm going to pitch the dry, pitch the washed, or leave it. I'll probably take a gravity reading tomorrow but even if it has dropped a few points is there any chance it just stalled out because the yeast went South, which I don't even know if that is possible especially since I can see signs in the fermentor of something going on. Well thanks for whoever reads and replies to my whining. Cheers!

img_2026.jpg  
__________________
NSTR Brewing


"Aut Viam Invenium Aut Facium"

Last edited by guinness_time; 04-16-2012 at 06:52 PM. Reason: Additional Info
guinness_time is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Show off your beer signs! aekdbbop General Beer Discussion 10 07-18-2013 10:25 AM
No visible fermentation? hal simmons General Techniques 4 03-05-2012 04:55 PM
no visible fermentation? eatria Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 23 12-01-2011 04:10 PM
Does oxidation have visible signs? fotomatt1 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 4 10-06-2009 02:27 PM
No visible signs of yeast activity? msa8967 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 21 08-18-2009 12:59 AM



Newest Threads