Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2012, 07:09 PM   #651
mid_knight
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Did u try using your nose? Lol. Really - sniff around the fermenter for yeasty smells.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #652
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 177 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 103

13 hours is still very early to see any bubbles if you'll have them.
honestly, give it a few more hours and see what happens, another day or 2, and if you're still worried, take a hydro reading and see what you come up with.
Hell, my porter i just made had a krausen ring about 1" tall after 24 hours, but my 1085 pale took about 3 days to get up to that with the same yeast.

Coming up Porter
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 02-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #653
PIG20
Recipes 

Well, after a couple more hours I just checked on it and it's bubbling away. I was going to leave it alone anyway but it still feels good to see it working.

I was also worried because right after I stirred the yeast, I snapped the lid on and while fitting the airlock onto the lid, the rubber grommet snapped through and fell into the wort!

So I scrubbed/washed my hand and arm and went fishing around for it. It only took me about 15 seconds to find it but I was worried that I may have disrupted the process.

So at least I'm fermenting. I just hope I didn't skunk the beer with bacteria. It's one of those things where I had no choice but to dig around for that thing. I didn't have a spare lid with a grommet and even if I did, I didn't feel right leaving it in there even though it was thoroughly steralized.

I guess I'll know in a month.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #654
Walzenbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I brewed a hefeweizen last week. I pitched the yeast at the perfect temperature, but used the full 11g fr a 2.5 gal batch. I had good activity for the first two days then it stopped. I noticed the temperature dropped in my apartment to around 60degrees. Will this significantly affect the beer or will I just have to wait it out?

Beginner Brewing Tutorials:
http://thebeginnersbrew.com

Old 02-27-2012, 09:58 PM   #655
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walzenbrew View Post
I brewed a hefeweizen last week. I pitched the yeast at the perfect temperature, but used the full 11g fr a 2.5 gal batch. I had good activity for the first two days then it stopped. I noticed the temperature dropped in my apartment to around 60degrees. Will this significantly affect the beer or will I just have to wait it out?
I'd say you still have some waiting ahead of you but you don't have too much to worry about. I'm not sure what off flavors you will get from over pitching but that would be the only thing that could be "wrong" with your brew from this.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #656
BrewKnurd
Formerly discnjh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 238 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG20 View Post
It's one of those things where I had no choice but to dig around for that thing. I didn't have a spare lid with a grommet and even if I did, I didn't feel right leaving it in there even though it was thoroughly steralized.
There's always a choice.... next time choose to leave it in there. If your bucket doesn't seal perfectly, its no biggie.

Fake it til you make it.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #657
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by discnjh View Post
There's always a choice.... next time choose to leave it in there. If your bucket doesn't seal perfectly, its no biggie.
Am I the only person who saw the grommet and said screw it and went hunting for a bung to fit the hole instead?

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Old 02-28-2012, 01:04 PM   #658
PIG20
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampassJ View Post
Am I the only person who saw the grommet and said screw it and went hunting for a bung to fit the hole instead?
It was 1:15 am and at that point I did what I thought I had to do. If it's skunked, it will be a first for me and a lesson.

Who knows, it could be fine but either way I really won't know for a while at this point. Oh well, my punishment will be for me to do it all over again.

Darn!

Old 02-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #659
Blitzen
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iordz View Post
You should take a hydrometer reading, it will tell you whether any fermentation has occured.
Have a similar problem. Recovered yeast from previous batch AND made a starter which bubbled away for 8 hours so I pitched it. A little foam on top after 24 hours, then nothing. No bubbles ever in airlock and even bubbles on top of wort disappeared. If there has been fermentation what should the final gravity be?

Old 02-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #660
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzen View Post
Have a similar problem. Recovered yeast from previous batch AND made a starter which bubbled away for 8 hours so I pitched it. A little foam on top after 24 hours, then nothing. No bubbles ever in airlock and even bubbles on top of wort disappeared. If there has been fermentation what should the final gravity be?
This is not 100% accurate but a good guestimate of final gravity is 1/4 of the original gravity.

Airlock activity is not an accurate sign of fermentation. If you use a pail I bet your lid just was not on tight enough so the gasses escaped through there. If you have a carboy you might not have pushed your bung or airlock in far enough.

Quick Reply