Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2011, 05:30 AM   #611
Hyperion5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I just wanted to post my thanks to all the help this thread gives in encouraging patience! Last week I brewed the Honey Brown Ale from Northern Brewer and pitched Wyeast 1056. Got no bubbles in the airlock and started reading. I'm pretty sure it was under pitched since I did not create a starter (lessons learned!). But I waited a full week with no airlock activity. Tonight I cracked it open and checked the gravity and I'm sitting right at 1.014 so it fermented after all and I guess it had a leak somewhere. Thanks again for all the help!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2011, 10:01 AM   #612
vitordt
Recipes 

Hi Guys

I would like to thank you for this thread.

I brew a weissbier last sunday and the airlock hasn't started bubbling until today, about 65 hours later.

I you are a new home brewer as I am, please accept all the recommendation from these guys.

Greetings from Brazil.

Cheers!

Old 01-09-2012, 10:41 PM   #613
PassTheBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So I brewed last Tuesday evening, and after all was said and done I had a few bubbles the Wednesday morning. When I got home from work that night, it was bubbling like crazy. But since then....I havent seen any progress.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #614
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Take a hydrometer reading. It may be done.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 01-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #615
PassTheBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

As long as I clean and sterilized the wine thief I should be able to just pop the top on my primary and get a sample w/o messing up my batch?

Old 01-10-2012, 01:22 AM   #616
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 107 Times on 95 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Yes, that would be the way to do it. Go ahead and check, then prepare to leave it alone for another couple weeks.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 01-10-2012, 01:52 AM   #617
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 124

Depending on what yeast you use. Some fermentations are very vigorous. Aka 24 to 48 hours. Then completely slows... I've had the same thing tons of times. Even though it looks done it very much is not. Take a sample. But let it mellow for at least 2 to 3 more weeks

Coming up - Golden Promise / ADHA 529 SMaSH
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 01-10-2012, 01:51 PM   #618
PassTheBeer
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks guys your input def makes me feel less nervous

Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 AM   #619
JeepBrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have a Kolsch in primary right now - pitched it with White Labs WLP029 48 hours ago. It has been at about 62 degrees F judging by the sticker thingy on the side of my pail. No airlock activity, no krauzen, no change from OG, and it still tastes like sweet tea. I moved it to another closet (a little warmer - mid to upper 60s) where my last batch (an English Brown) did great.

I didn't do a starter, lesson learned - I will next time. I did aerate the beer while bringing it down from boil to pitch temp - I pitched at 68 degrees F. Beersmith says to primary 3 days at 60 degrees.

I fully understand this yeast is a low and slow, but if it hasn't started by tomorrow evening I think I should re-pitch it. Any ideas?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:08 PM   #620
NWMushroom
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepBrew View Post
I have a Kolsch in primary right now - pitched it with White Labs WLP029 48 hours ago. It has been at about 62 degrees F judging by the sticker thingy on the side of my pail. No airlock activity, no krauzen, no change from OG, and it still tastes like sweet tea. I moved it to another closet (a little warmer - mid to upper 60s) where my last batch (an English Brown) did great.

I didn't do a starter, lesson learned - I will next time. I did aerate the beer while bringing it down from boil to pitch temp - I pitched at 68 degrees F. Beersmith says to primary 3 days at 60 degrees.

I fully understand this yeast is a low and slow, but if it hasn't started by tomorrow evening I think I should re-pitch it. Any ideas?
I'd take a hydro reading first, before deciding anything. I've regularly had batches fully ferment without one bubble coming out of the airlock.

EDIT: Just saw you took a hydro reading and there was no change. I'd give it another 24 hours in the warmer environment, since WLP029 doesn't do well at low temperatures. Giving the fermenter a swirl may help, too.

Quick Reply