Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2011, 09:30 AM   #551
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1714 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick916
I'm a little concerned. Brewed my first batch on Thursday night. I followed the directions exactly as the kit explained. 12 hours later the airlock was going crazy, about 30 bubbles a minute. By Saturday morning (about 36 hours after pitching) no activity at all. The fermenter is in a temp controlled fridge at 67 degrees. The beer is an Irish Red Ale. Any thoughts?????
Sounds perfectly fine to me...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2011, 04:35 PM   #552
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 124

yep! normal, i wouldn't worry too much about that one. some go for a day or 2, some go for a number of days, all are gonna be different

the last one i did took almost 36 hours to start bubbling, then it went crazy and never stopped for prolly 5-6 days

Coming up - Golden Promise / ADHA 529 SMaSH
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 07-04-2011, 09:03 AM   #553
Dhruv6911
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I got bubbles in ~ 4 hours and it's going about 2bubles/second. I am using the 3 piece air lock and the star san water isnt too high. The temperature is a bit lower, around 65ish. I have the fermentor with a soaked shirt on it in my kettle with water 1/3 up. What's the best way you guys can accurately measure temperature?

Old 07-04-2011, 03:04 PM   #554
flexxy86
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm sitting @ 66 hours with no air lock activity. Now I know that is not the be all end all sign of fermentation, but still it's a pretty good indicator. I know that I have a good seal on the bucket because when I lightly press on lid the airlock moves. On to the nitty-gritty ...

I used Windsor for this brew (long story, had a smack pack and it didn't inflate properly, emergency run to the LHBS for the dry yeast) The temps are sitting around 69-71 degrees ambient air temps with the fermenter sitting in a swamp cooler. My two questions are as follows:

1) how much longer do I wait before I crack open the fermenter, take a hydro reading and repitching yeast if the SG is the same? (I know the thread is saying it could take 72 hours, but I'm just looking for opinions/reassurance)

2) I would have liked to use an Irish Ale yeast (i'm brewing an irish red) with this brew, but with the bad yeast and lack of time to wait for a liquid yeast from the LHBS to warm up properly, I grabbed the dry yeast ... Could (or should) I buy a vial of WLP004 Irish red and repitch that? What kind of weird flavors would I get if any from mixing Windsor & WLP004?

Old 07-10-2011, 12:31 AM   #555
cookmysock
Recipes 

Have had my first all grain brew fermenting for nearly 5 days. OG = 1.051. Just took a reading and it was 1.021. I intend leaving it for 2 weeks before bottling. It is quite cold at the moment and the wort temp is 12 deg C (54 F). I have used 10 grams (0.35 oz) Saflager S-23 dry yeast. Brew volume is 13 litres (3.43) gallons and is 100% pale malt grain.

Questions - have I pitched too much yeast? Is it too cold for the yeast to be working properly?

Old 07-10-2011, 03:15 AM   #556
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

that should be enough for a five gallon batch, but I don't think here should be a problem with you using it for less. that shouldn't be too cold for a lager yeast, but I think two weeks sounds like your not giving it enough time

Old 07-19-2011, 06:08 PM   #557
Kevin0778
Recipes 

New brewer here, what happens if you pitch the yeast at a temperature that is too warm? I think i may have done this in my latest batch and i'm a little concerned. Just not sure.

Thanks in advance!

Old 07-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #558
Josh74
Recipes 

Many of us have at one time or another had an airlock blow out or a blow over, this has forced us to let others know about "blow tubes". So many first time brewers learn from our mistakes and immediately do blow tubes on their first batch, this can cause no air bubbles from a brew that does not have a vigorous fermentation cycle. Typically you fill a gallon jug of water 1/2 way with sanitized water and stick your 1/2 dia blow tube in it that comes from your modified airlock and presto there is your fail proof airlock for vigorous fermenting beer right? Good but here's why you are not getting bubbles. If the tube is in a half gallon of water and it's all the way at the bottom of the jug there is to much pressure from the water for the CO2 to pass out of a 1/2 dia tube. Fix just pull the tube up till it is covered by an inch of water. I tried this last night and it did it every time, I thought my Dbl IPA was a no go because I saw no activity in 24 hours, I moved the airlock trap or jug in my case and it started bubbling like mad. Anyways just thought I'd share that with you.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:36 AM   #559
rycov
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin0778 View Post
New brewer here, what happens if you pitch the yeast at a temperature that is too warm? I think i may have done this in my latest batch and i'm a little concerned. Just not sure.

Thanks in advance!
depends on how warm. what was the temperature?

Old 07-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #560
Kevin0778
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rycov View Post
depends on how warm. what was the temperature?
Well, honestly i'm not totally sure. The temp on my fermenter bucket goes up to 78 and it was higher than that because it was not showing a reading.

Quick Reply