Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2011, 03:09 AM   #511
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnti View Post
Would the best course of action be a hydrometer reading?
its the only way
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #512
azlightfighter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If the lid was not sealed properley there would be gas leaking out of it and not the air lock, I would take a reading to see what you have and seal the lid and let if finish or rack to a secondary.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 PM   #513
tgriff00
Recipes 

I'm brewing a Red Ale w/ WLP007 yeast. OG was 1.052 (1.055 target) and I started seeing bubbles in ~16 hours. It has been 4 days now and it seems like the bubbling has pretty much stopped. I was gonna rack to a secondary sunday (6 days total in primary), but do you guys think that this would be too long in the primary since the bubbling has stopped?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #514
redpenguin01
Recipes 

Well.. its day 5 right now on my first batch. The waterlock was bubbling vigorously the first day then started to curb off. A layer of krausen has formed but waterlock activity stopped completely at day 3. I'm not too worried but a little reassurance would help.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:24 PM   #515
XXguy
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Wait around for another week or two, then pull a hydrometer reading. Yeast dont "forget" how to ferment after they've started. It's what they're born to do.

It's 100 times more likely that your fermenter has a slow leak that's allowing an easier way for the CO2 to escape than the airlock. During the height of fermentation, there was probably more pressure being built up than the slow leak could pass....

Old 04-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #516
redpenguin01
Recipes 

Yeah, I'm using an HDPE bucket so I was wondering if that was the case. I guess its just a waiting game at this point.
Thanks for the quick response XXguy.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #517
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

As has been said in this and other threads, and on other forums- the airlock is not an instrument that is particularly accurate in measuring fermentation. A lot of the standard "Ale Pail" bucket fermenters have no lid seal, it just snaps onto the bucket rim.

If you want to eliminate this type of leak, US Plastics makes buckets (their 7 gal. bucket is virtually ideal for 5 gal. batches) with a real neoprene 'O'- ring in the lid, which seals the bucket. I got three of these, with lids, for about $33 delivered. Drilled a hole in the lids with a 1/2" paddle bit and installed grommets available at fine homebrew stores everywhere.

The only foolproof way to see where your fermentation has gone is to pop that lid, take a sample and put the hydrometer in.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:55 PM   #518
edmanster
Whats Under Your Kilt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rico567

The only foolproof way to see where your fermentation has gone is to pop that lid, take a sample and put the hydrometer in.
Or be lazy like me and slowly put the hydrometer into your bucket... Don't suggest it but taking samples a couple days in a row with the thief got old to me.. Now I got a refractometer and I just pull a drop and save the tasting for kegging day. I use a foot long 1/8 inch ss tube and just go threw the airlock hole so I don't even need to take my bucket lid off...
Father of 4 girls

Suffers from Zymocenosilicaphobia

Old 04-21-2011, 10:12 AM   #519
redpenguin01
Recipes 

It just occurred to me while working in the lab today that an easy method to prevent the leaks might be using Parafilm. For me, its convenient and available. Any thoughts or experiences on using this for a better seal?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:38 PM   #520
redpenguin01
Recipes 

So I parafilmed it.. got a few bubbles. Then the water lock stopped again. I'm thinking I stretched the film out too much in one area.

At least I know it is still producing CO2 slowly. Thanks for the help guys.

Quick Reply