Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2011, 02:09 PM   #491
Valcarde
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuff0120 View Post
Thanks for the responses. Fermentation started with no issues. However, now I have another newbie question. It looks like very soggy bread is floating on top of my beer. Is this contamination? Or is this normal?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/lBspxslaDQSxdk3owQKj-w?feat=directlink

As always, thanks for your help
That looks like a nice head of Krausen.

Perfectly normal.
Carboy 3: Choco-Caramel Amber Ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2011, 07:33 PM   #492
buckley28
Recipes 

Second batch in under way in fermentation (a Brown Ale). Same thing as w/ my first batch of IPA...no activity in the Arilock. I'm thinking that 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon platic tank gives it too much room to not reach the top to warrant activity in an airlock. Just a hunch.
Like I said the ifrst batch had xero activity in the airlock and had ZERO issues. The IPA was wonderful.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:36 PM   #493
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckley28 View Post
Second batch in under way in fermentation (a Brown Ale). Same thing as w/ my first batch of IPA...no activity in the Arilock. I'm thinking that 5 gallons in a 6.5 gallon platic tank gives it too much room to not reach the top to warrant activity in an airlock. Just a hunch.
Like I said the ifrst batch had xero activity in the airlock and had ZERO issues. The IPA was wonderful.
I pitched 10 gallons into 2 - 6.5 gallon buckets on Saturday and had 3 burps per second from the air lock within 3 hours. (Yes, well oxygenated wort and a healthy yeast cake will do that for you.) It doesn't take much to increase the air pressure enough to rock that airlock, regardless of how much head space. If it is creating C02, that stuff has to go somewhere.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:27 PM   #494
icedub
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I just brewed my 4th batch- An American Double IPA with Warrior, Simcoe and Cascade hops. It's been 36 hours and still no sign of activity in the air-lock. The brew is in a plastic bucket, so I can't see if anything is happening.. I'm half tempted to take off the lid so I can take a look. Would this be a poor choice?

Old 02-21-2011, 12:31 PM   #495
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 80

You shouldn't care what your airlock is doing...read this. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/airlock-activity-gone-before-5-days-210459/#post2460863

Old 02-21-2011, 02:20 PM   #496
commonsenseman
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by icedub View Post
I just brewed my 4th batch- An American Double IPA with Warrior, Simcoe and Cascade hops. It's been 36 hours and still no sign of activity in the air-lock. The brew is in a plastic bucket, so I can't see if anything is happening.. I'm half tempted to take off the lid so I can take a look. Would this be a poor choice?
What bithead said. Also, if you know what your level was when you first poured the wort into the fermenter, you can check & see if it's risen at all. If you can't see, turn off the lights & shine a flashlight in. I believe opening the lid should be a last resort & only used to take a gravity reading.

While a thick Krausen isn't the only sign of good fermentation, it is reassuring!

Old 02-21-2011, 02:25 PM   #497
chapa
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would say after a week to take a hydrometer reading, just to make sure its making some headway. Then at 2 weeks check to make sure you're close to final gravity. If there is little movement, or it stops short, try to warm the ferm up and give it a swirl to get the yeast roused up...but only do this if it needs it. Just my $.02

Bottled/Kegged: Red Rye IPA, Wesside Trip(Westmalle Tripel clone), ESB, Lil Trap (4% Trappist Starter Batch), Robust (Pumpkin) Porter, 3% Little Hopper, "Slick Rick" Old Engine Oil Clone(oaked w/ vanilla and balvenie scotch), Imperial RyePA,
On Deck: Quad, Belgian IPA, Orfy's Mild, Scotch Ale

Old 02-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #498
Bithead
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
While a thick Krausen isn't the only sign of good fermentation, it is reassuring!
Also fun to watch, like sitting in front of a fish tank

Old 02-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #499
icedub
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hahah thanks all! This makes me want to switch to a glass primary so I can better watch the show

Old 02-21-2011, 05:37 PM   #500
SwampassJ
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I have a cold pitched lager going after less than 24 hours. I just needed to brag.

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Quick Reply