New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2010, 12:22 AM   #421
kellynm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I just pitched my yeast yesterday in my first batch in 10 years... she's a bubblin' away as we speak... current temp... 65 F.... fyi

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2010, 05:59 PM   #422
petey_c

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Brewed an AHS Stormcastle Brown this Sat. At the 65 hour mark, no visible signs of fermentation. I'm not worried, I pitched a pack of Safale05. I'll have to wait until I get home from work/estimate to re-check. Not that I'm really expecting to see some life. I guess I just have to start the 72 hr. clock over again. I'd really like to have a platform that raises my fermentation vessel up into a thunderstorm like in Frankenstein...

Old 11-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #423
petey_c

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well, checked my brew and it was finally bubbling away after 17 hours. I relaxed, didn't worry and had a home brew (or two...).

Old 11-16-2010, 05:24 PM   #424
Countrysquire
Recipes 

Great thread. Have made 5 batches so far with dry yeast and usually see good signs of fermentation within 12 - 18 hours. Last week, I brewed the AHS Shiner Bock clone and pitched the White Labs wet yeast. No signs of activity after 36 hours, so I visited the forum and read this thread. After a little more patience, a little swirling of the carboy, and a few homebrews, it was showing good airlock activity at the 48 hour mark, just as so many here said would happen. One thing that I was not aware of, being a newbie, was the need for making a starter. So, I prepped a starter with more of the White Labs yeast a few days ago in preparation for a batch of a 1554 clone. Brewed last night, pitched the sarter in around 10:00 PM. Checking before I left for work this morning at 5:30, I found about an inch of foam on top and the airlock going crazy. The difference made by the starter was really amazing. I appreciate the advice that I receive here.

Old 11-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #425
WCD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great thread. This topic is exactly how I found HBT. My first brew was dunkelweison using Wyeast Wheat yeast 3068 which took about 36 hours to show signs after a little shake. It was very active after that. Just racked it tonight. Thanks for all the great posts. They kept this newbie in check.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #426
Mongrel
Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 85 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I've been fortunate, and my first couple batches have taken off within 18 hours, even though they've been pitched with Wyeast smack packs without starters (guess it's good to live close enough to be able to drive to their labs and kick someone in the taco for a bad smack pack). That said, listen to the guys who encourage patience.

I have to give a huge Prost to Patio, the brewmaster, at Three Creeks Brewery. Was chatting with him tonight over a couple pints, and asked him how long fermentation usually takes, and he just said, "I listen to the beer."

I'm still new at this, and as impatient as all of you, but the beer will do it's thing. It's up to us not to **** with it.

Old 11-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #427
ChickenBeer
Recipes 

Default First Liquid Yeast

Hello,
I looked through the threads and couldn't find anything just right for my question. I just made a batch last night, i've been doing this for a period of time but still novice. everything is always clean and sterilized, I have not used liquid yeast before it was from white labs and they were definitely alive when i put them in the wort. but now about 12 hours later mine doesn't look like it is fermenting. I know from past that it can take days but the white labs label said 5-15 hours so I didn't know if im just being a "worry wort" or if this is semi normal. Made another batch simultaneously last night used dry yeast pitched it and it is doing great. ??? help

Old 11-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #428
WCD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just wait a little longer. I just did a batch 2 weeks ago. Its took almost 3 days to show signs. Then it went like gang busters.

Hold, Hold Hold! It will start.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #429
ChickenBeer
Recipes 

It went finally, seemed to go strong for a while there too. I moved it to a place in the house that always stays above 70 degrees seemed to help it get going.

Old 11-23-2010, 12:08 AM   #430
WCD
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Funny. I brewed a batch yesterday and the airlock is already going. I took some extra care in shaking the liquid yeast really well. and I mean really... :-)

Quick Reply