Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 PM   #411
songstre
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernerbrau View Post
I have to ask anyway. It's been about 14 hours, but: I just purchased a chest freezer from Lowe's and a fridge thermostat from my LHBS. I have the ambient temperature of the freezer set to 58F. I'm using WLP060 and the pitching SG was 1.064. I also did not make a starter. This is my first time fermenting with explicit temperature controls.

Usually, using liquid yeast even without a starter, I get vigorous fermentation after about 8 hours or so. Is an ambient 58F too low to start fermentation or will I just need to wait longer?
This yeast should ferment between 68-72. Not sure why you would want 58. What are you brewing?
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp060.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #412
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by songstre View Post
This yeast should ferment between 68-72. Not sure why you would want 58. What are you brewing?
http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp060.html
I'm brewing an APA.

Two reasons I'm fermenting at 58. 1, I'm trying to get a cleaner fermentation out of this yeast than the last batch, and 2, Palmer suggests that fermentation can be 10 degrees hotter than ambient temps.

Oh, and "optimum range" doesn't necessarily mean "won't ferment outside this range"...

Old 09-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #413
songstre
Recipes 

Fermentation can be 10 degrees hotter if you let it shoot through the roof. People talk about using starters and obtaining a vigorous fermentation. Starters should be used to gain a greater count of cells and get fermentation to begin sooner - a healthy start, so to speak. But if fermentation is too vigorous up front, it can do damage by - as you mentioned - raising the temps too high and could kill yeast and create off flavors.

From Palmer's site:
Temperatures below 55-60F will cause ale yeast to go into hibernation and slow or stop the fermentation process.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #414
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Well, WLP060 does contain some lager yeast...

I decided to put it up to 65 before going to work. If it kicks off between now and getting home, I'll drop it down to 62.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #415
snowman
Recipes 

This topic is a riot! Are you guys throwing curve balls to the newbies? lol. I'm thinking...., here I am in the beginners brewing forum reading about problems from a guy with over 7,000 posts.... over 2 years.

priceless

Old 10-01-2010, 09:47 PM   #416
bernerbrau
Recipes 

snowman... check out the Tap Room sometime. I used to waste a lot of time in there. Post count doesn't always equate to brewing knowledge around here.

And while I've been brewing for over 2 years, I happen to be new to precise temperature controls and needed some advice.

Old 11-08-2010, 03:05 AM   #417
ganu
Recipes 

It's been just shy of 48 hours and I don't have any signs of fermentation yet. (At least through my blowoff tube/air lock I don't.) I'm brewing a wheat beer with Hefeweizen liquid yeast. I did not do a starter. Also... My wort was amlittle hot when I pitched my yeast. (Oops. I know better than that.)

I took a gravity reading 12 hrs after pitching and I was sitting at 1.030. I'm not too keen on the idea of popping the lid a looking just yet. I'm afraid of letting in germs, so I've just relied on my blowoff tube's activity to determine if my fermentation is rocking along or not.

NOW, my LHBS won't open till Tuesday. If I need to get more yeast, it'll be almost 4 days that my wort say sat idle. How much of a problem is that gonna be?

So that's my plan. Wait and get more liquid yeast.

Advice? Thanks in advance.

G

Reason: Added more info

Old 11-08-2010, 12:36 PM   #418
J_to_the_B
Recipes 

Ganu,

I had the same issue with my first batch. I used a Wyeast smack pack w/no starter, and didn't have any fermentation till about 4 days later when I made a starter with a second smack pack. The beer fermented fine after that, with minimal off flavors. I'd focus on keeping it sanitized, and making and pitching a starter ASAP. Now I use White Labs yeast and always make an 8-16 oz. starter about 24hrs prior to pitching - it always starts fermenting within 12-24 hours. Good luck dude, and RDWHAHB.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #419
irish89
Recipes 

My beer stopped bubbling pretty quick, so i moved it to the second stage after about four days, is there any way to add another packet of yeast to it in the second stage?

Old 11-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #420
J_to_the_B
Recipes 

irish89, your probably not gonna want to do that. did you measure the gravity? if it seems pretty still, i'd just let it chill out over about a week and a half - 2 weeks.

Quick Reply