Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2010, 08:03 PM   #401
3PegBrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I forgot I posted on this sticky. I posted to another thread dealing with "waiting" and thought i'd reply again to this.

It's fermenting. I posted 2 videos (1 at 18 hours and 1 at 24 hours) showing the different times of fermentation in the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninan View Post
Hitler gave the toothbrush 'stache a bad name...
My Keezer Build

Aller guten dinge sind drei!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #402
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Yeah. The waiting is tough. The batch before this was a Boston Plus using Wyeast 1056 and it was showing action within 8 hours. This batch is Black Pearl Porter, and the Wyeast 1028 is pushing 30 hours now and absolutely no action yet. It's OK, since I've been through this a few times before, and the yeast has always taken off within 48 hours. I'll check it again tomorrow around noon, and if nothing by then, I'll pitch a pack of Nottingham.

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 09-15-2010, 02:15 PM   #403
wetzie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Learning from this forum

I have read this forum on slow fermentation several times as I have been bit as well. Brewed a Brewers Best kit for the second time this year and hed very different results. First batch started signs of fermentation within hours using Notttingham dry yeast. The second batch has just started, slowly,after 60 hours of waiting.
I am using a stainless steel conical so I can only see activity if I remove the airlock. There is kraussen but not a lot. There is a sour smell, not real strong. Is this normal or are my fears coming true?
thanx all

Old 09-15-2010, 06:11 PM   #404
rico567
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 21

A followup to my post immediately above.....the Black Pearl Porter finally showed signs of airlock activity around 47 hours....a new record for me. I've had a couple of batches that took a bit over a day to get going, but this one was still well under the 72 hour "limit." (However, I was very close to breaking out that packet of Nottingham. )

“Malt does more than Milton can / To justify God’s ways to man”

-A. E. Housman (1859–1936). A Shropshire Lad , 1896.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #405
wetzie
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

at hour 72 it seems to be going now if you go by the airlock_ but I know Revvy has explained that very well. The confidence given by the more experienced helped save me from doing something drastic. I will not pitch dry again. maybe the yeasties wanted a couple day orgy before getting to work?

Old 09-22-2010, 04:57 PM   #406
daedelus902
Recipes 

Default US-05 on Pale Ale Not fermenting

I have a genuine mystery. After 5 days of an all grain Raisin-Oat Toasted Pale Ale with a starting gravity of 1.041 after sparge. I'm now down to 1.014 without any visible sign of fermentation on any previous day. Saccarification was complete. The batch went smoothly from grind to seal and I didn't expect this. The Fermentis US-05 yeast packet, (dry), was new and best-by date was Jan 2011 and was well kept. Yeast was pitched dry in 68F, (I'm probably overly confident in Fermentis products). When I moved the batch off to secondary, (leaving the last 2 liters), I noticed an immediate fermentation in the dregs starting up. I tasted a bit of the settled remnant after moving it to secondary and it is likely one of my best brews. Has anybody seen this before?

Thanks,

Mike

Old 09-27-2010, 04:03 AM   #407
GillandCo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I love Pitching Over Fresh a fresh Yeast Cake...Took a half hour to start bubbling(Within an hour It's Going crazy) No aerating needed!

If you don't like it...We don't Care!

Old 09-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #408
songstre
Recipes 

My last batch of Schneider Weisse clone went bad. No activity for like 5 days and then started bubbling. When it stopped, I smelled it and it seemed to have the familiar alcoholic aroma to it. I always taste my wort just prior to bottling to get an idea of how I'm doing. Upon tasting this, though, I wish someone had a camera to capture the look on my face. It was really sour. Had to dump. Only batch I ever lost. I believe the yeast were damaged due to very hot weather we had and my ingredients sitting in my garage too long (thanks to my daughter leaving them in there upon arrival). They may have been subjected to a lot of heat in transit as well.

I re-brewed the recipe yesterday (the first batch was a couple months ago) and used decoction for the first time ever. Seemed to go really well. I'm hoping for a short incubation period and having some bubbling by end of day today. I believe I will try doing a started next time. Would love to get into culturing my own yeast too.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:50 AM   #409
songstre
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzie View Post
I have read this forum on slow fermentation several times as I have been bit as well. Brewed a Brewers Best kit for the second time this year and hed very different results. First batch started signs of fermentation within hours using Notttingham dry yeast. The second batch has just started, slowly,after 60 hours of waiting.
I am using a stainless steel conical so I can only see activity if I remove the airlock. There is kraussen but not a lot. There is a sour smell, not real strong. Is this normal or are my fears coming true?
thanx all
Shouldn't smell sour. You should stay away from kits. There are lots of good recipes out there (and in here). Order your ingredients yourself. Kits can hang around for a while and have old yeast. I use Midwest Supplies. I've also discovered buying hops in bulk (by the pound) as it's a lot cheaper. I'm still feeling this out, however, as I'm not sure how long they'll hold up in the freezer.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #410
bernerbrau
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I have to ask anyway. It's been about 14 hours, but: I just purchased a chest freezer from Lowe's and a fridge thermostat from my LHBS. I have the ambient temperature of the freezer set to 58F. I'm using WLP060 and the pitching SG was 1.064. I also did not make a starter. This is my first time fermenting with explicit temperature controls.

Usually, using liquid yeast even without a starter, I get vigorous fermentation after about 8 hours or so. Is an ambient 58F too low to start fermentation or will I just need to wait longer?

Quick Reply