Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2007, 03:35 PM   #21
gicts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Thank you both. I have noticed with any wine and this beer kit the difference between the kit instructions to put the dry yeast in, and the instructions on the yeast packet which says to rehydrate the yeast. Some wine yeasts call for the water to be around 100 degrees to rehydrate so I guess I should not have been too worried. Thanks for giving me a little more confidence, I hope it starts soon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2007, 05:55 PM   #22
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

beer kit instructions aren't always the best. I typically rehydrate all my yeast. As long as its done sanitary and at the right temp, it can only help.

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10
Veronis Likes This 
Old 12-29-2007, 06:01 PM   #23
bearclaw
Recipes 

I had a similar problem with my first batch. Sometimes with extract kits if you use the yeast that was provided, (taped to the top of the can) its not always the best or the freshest. After 24 hours the airlock wasn't bubbling and I took a look inside my plastic carboy and noticed there was no krausen on top of the wort. I ended up going to my homebrew store and picking up another pack of yeast that they keep properly refrigerated. make sure you rehydrate it in warm water for about 10 mins then pitch it. That ended up fixing my problem right up and fermentation started about 10-12 hours after.

I was doing an irish stout too btw heh

Best of luck.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:06 PM   #24
Nurmey
I love making Beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkore
beer kit instructions aren't always the best. I typically rehydrate all my yeast. As long as its done sanitary and at the right temp, it can only help.
+1 on both points malkore made.
Kit instructions are usually very generic and vague. Mostly geared to making beer quickly rather than good.
Rehydrating your yeast can speed things up a lot. It also helps make more and healthier yeast.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #25
jaymacdf
Recipes 

just an opposing viewpoint on the white labs criticism. i brewed the belgian strong ale from northern brewer the other day. the wyeast smack pack did not activate. i ran to my local homebrew store and picked up the white labs vial of pitchable yeast and bang, fermentation started 10 hours after i re-aerated my wort and pitched the yeast.

thought i should share my positive experience with the first and only time i used white labs.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #26
jaymacdf
Recipes 

ps-

anyone ever used the trub as their yeast starter for their next batch. i have heard of much success (going light to darker) with this process. have not tried it but think i might in the future.

i hear adding your wort and water to an emptied (minus trub) fermenter will cause a rapid fermentation. any thoughts?

Old 12-31-2007, 03:22 PM   #27
oysterhead
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearclaw
I ended up going to my homebrew store and picking up another pack of yeast that they keep properly refrigerated. make sure you rehydrate it in warm water for about 10 mins then pitch it. That ended up fixing my problem right up and fermentation started about 10-12 hours after.

my first post...this forum is great.

if yeast are re-pitched, do you stir the yeast into the wort (just like the first pitch)?

or do you just sprinkle the yeast on top of the wort?

i'm worried i may have not aerated the wort enough for my yeast, but then again i don't want to induce an infection.

thanks!

Old 12-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #28
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

You should be able to sprinkle over the top. There should be enough CO2 at the top of a de-oxygenated wort to start.

Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 PM   #29
oysterhead
Recipes 

i have tons of bubbles now.

took about 30 hours.

temp in the room varies between 65 and 68.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:09 AM   #30
Vorsicht709
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Wyeast 23hrs no activity

I pitched a slap pack of american ale wyeast 23 hours ago into my batch of boston ale and there is no activity, I knew liquid yeast had a long lag time, but is this long normal. My thermometer in the room reads about 71 degrees

Last edited by Vorsicht709; 01-07-2008 at 02:15 AM.

Quick Reply