Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #261
packas
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default fermentation slowed to a crawl

Hi all

My first brew so please forgive my novice questions!!

Starting gravity on 27th June was 1043. Checked reading on 30th June (3 days into fermentation) & gravity was 1017. Checked it today (3rd July) & it was only 1013. Is it common for it to slow down like this? I'm brewing Coopers Brewmaster Wheat beer. Temp. is about 23 deg C.

Thanks,
Pat.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2009, 10:24 AM   #262
packas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by packas View Post
Hi all

Starting gravity on 27th June was 1043. Checked reading on 30th June (3 days into fermentation) & gravity was 1017. Checked it today (3rd July) & it was only 1013. Is it common for it to slow down like this? I'm brewing Coopers Brewmaster Wheat beer. Temp. is about 23 deg C.

Thanks,
Pat.
Hi All,

Any advice/re-assurance?

Old 07-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #263
WilliamstonBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Yeah that is totally normal. The most vigorous fermentation occurs within the first few days, then it plateaus off. It's good you're using a hydrometer, many don't then come here with their heads spinning like something from The Exorcist.

Even though your hydrometer will indicate when fermentation is finishing, don't rush it to bottle. The yeast will still do good things well after your gravity has bottomed out. Let it go for 10-14 days. Since it's a wheat beer, you can bottle after 10 days (assuming your gravity has been constant for a few days) and then drink after 2 weeks in the bottle... they're great fresh and from my wheat brewing experience actually start to deteriorate after 3-4 weeks. I am sure others would argue that point, it was just my experience.

EDIT: Grammar.

Old 07-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #264
packas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamstonBrew View Post
Yeah that is totally normal. The most vigorous fermentation occurs within the first few days, then it plateaus off. It's good you're using a hydrometer, many don't then come here with their heads spinning like something from The Exorcist.

Even though your hydrometer will indicate when fermentation is finishing, don't rush it to bottle. The yeast will still do good things well after your gravity has bottomed out. Let it go for 10-14 days. Since it's a wheat beer, you can bottle after 10 days (assuming your gravity has been constant for a few days) and then drink after 2 weeks in the bottle... they're great fresh and from my wheat brewing experience actually start to deteriorate after 3-4 weeks. I am sure others would argue that point, it was just my experience.

EDIT: Grammar.
Thanks for re-assuring me. Wow mad to hear that potentially they can deteriorate after 3-4 weeks. Think I may take some time off work to drink it so

Old 07-05-2009, 06:05 AM   #265
WilliamstonBrew
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

ha! awesome excuse...

But in all honesty the VAST majority of home brews will NOT deteriorate in 3-4 weeks, quite the opposite.

In my short and humble experience the wheat brews are better young and fresh... don't let them sit around forever.... drink 'em up...

Old 07-05-2009, 01:32 PM   #266
packas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamstonBrew View Post
ha! awesome excuse...

But in all honesty the VAST majority of home brews will NOT deteriorate in 3-4 weeks, quite the opposite.

In my short and humble experience the wheat brews are better young and fresh... don't let them sit around forever.... drink 'em up...

Ok so. My minds made up. Must book some time off work early August.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:04 AM   #267
CrazyBrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Amber Ale

Just brewed some Amber Ale and used Cal Ale liquid yeast. The beer was aerated and ferementation is temp. controlled. It still took 41 hours for fermentation to start. And wow did it start. Krausen to the top. I am using a blow off tube so no worries.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:54 PM   #268
ThinkinDavid
Recipes 

This thread is making me feel a little better but I'm still worried about my beer. It's been about 12 hours since i pitched the wyeast American Wheat, I simply smacked it good and pitched it right into the wort. I don't know how to make a starter, I didn't know such things were necessary. There is absolutely no activity in the carboy which is throwing me off. Usually the day after brewing I wake up the next morning to see healthy fermentation, however, I usually use dry yeast, too. So I'm hoping that since I used wet yeast, or whatever you might consider the smack pack, it will just take a little longer to get started since I apparently didn't prep the yeast right. But I'm also worried the air conditioner was set unusually low last night and could have chilled the carboy to about 65 degrees F.

After reading this thread I realize I may be a little skittish about my liquid baby, but its only because I care . I will wait at least until tomorrow night before I do anything about it, but I'm wondering if my wort doesn't ferment can I save it by re-pitching some dry yeast in a couple days?

Old 07-08-2009, 12:26 AM   #269
SourHopHead

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Brewed another IPA with Ringwood Ale yeast and took 48hrs to show any signs. A nice krausen and am also using a blowoff tube.

FV's- Flanders Red, Munich Helles x2, Apfelwein, Hard Lemonade
SV1- Pumpkin Spice
SV2- Hard Cider
SV3- Empty
Kegs- Green Chili Ale, Watermelon Sour

On Deck: Celebration Ale Clone

"Be Good or Be Gone." EST. 1854
Shazbot Blonde

Old 07-08-2009, 11:08 AM   #270
packas
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by packas View Post
Hi all

Thanks,
Pat.
Hi All,
Check gravit today (8/7/09) it was 1012. So after 5 days gravity dropped 1 point. That works out at about 4%. A bit less than I thought Should I leave it another while or go ahead & bottle? I've been reading that you don't bottle unitl 1010 or less.

regards,
Pat.

Quick Reply