Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 PM   #251
NewBrew09
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebben View Post
NB09, it's good to hear your yeasties are starting up!
Another thing that I didn't mention in my first post about the airlock sucking back in- it acts like a barometer.

1. If your wort is warmer than ambient surroundings, when the wort cools to ambient temperature, it will cause a vacuum inside.
2. Even after the wort has reached temperature equilibrium, if the yeast isn't making CO2 yet, changes in atmospheric air pressure will also cause a vacuum inside.

Brewed on a rainy day, and brought it in? As soon as it gets sunny and better weather arrives, atmospheric pressure will increase: airlock gets sucked in. A day later, rain comes back (low pressure returns), causing the airlock to bubble, if only one or two bubbles. Several hours later, weather improves, causing suckback again. This can happen over and over as long as your yeast isn't started up yet, and as long as you keep filling the airlock.
I think you called it right with the barometer effect, but I don't think it was the wort temp in the carboy, as when I put the wort into the carboy, it was at 65F, ambient air temp in the house was 73F. Yesterday the fermentation temp was at around 74F but I finally got it down to 68F as of this morning and the fermentation is still going really strong. It had a nice thick krausen on it after the first signs of fermentation that fell after 36 hours, checked it this morning and it is still going really strong with a second thick head of krausen. It smells rather delightful coming out of the airlock. This may be my best beer yet.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 AM   #252
kenstogie
Recipes 

Likes Given: 10

Brewing some Hefe with a OG of 1.045 and it seems to have stopped at 1.020. What to do? It tastes fine. By my calculations it should be about 3.25 or so ABV. Is that all that ABV I am going to get out of it?

Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 AM   #253
logjumper2
Recipes 

My first batch I brewed a belgian ale using a dry yeast. I noticed bubbles in my air lock within the first 12 hours. This last batch I just started on friday I used a liquid yeast. Still only a few bubbles here and there when noticed. My temp in about 72 degrees. This time I am brewing a wit. I will give it another day and check the gravity. Another other suggestions

Old 06-16-2009, 01:46 PM   #254
imprez25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thrid batch is not starting to ferment now at about 60 hours. It's a Impreial IPA that the kit stated the og would be around 1.050-1.060. However, mine turned out to be 1.070. I used dry yeast that came in the brewer's best kit. I shook the bucket lastnight hoping to get something sturred up, but this morning still nothing. (Gravity readings have not changed from the OG 1.070) Is this too big of a beer for the Danstar Nottingham Dry yeast? Should I repitch? help a brother out! Thanks.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:54 PM   #255
kenstogie
Recipes 

Kind of a related question but how warm is too warm for yeast?? I am sure it depends on the yeast strain but generally....

How warm is too warm?
I am hovering at 76-78 and the LBS brewer said that he doesn't worry about it until 80.

How does the temp affect flavor?

Current batch i a Dinkelwiezen.

Last edited by kenstogie; 06-22-2009 at 07:57 PM.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 PM   #256
kenstogie
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprez25 View Post
Thrid batch is not starting to ferment now at about 60 hours. It's a Impreial IPA that the kit stated the og would be around 1.050-1.060. However, mine turned out to be 1.070. I used dry yeast that came in the brewer's best kit. I shook the bucket lastnight hoping to get something sturred up, but this morning still nothing. (Gravity readings have not changed from the OG 1.070) Is this too big of a beer for the Danstar Nottingham Dry yeast? Should I repitch? help a brother out! Thanks.
I have been told that repitching is an option but i am no expert.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:31 AM   #257
imprez25
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenstogie View Post
I have been told that repitching is an option but i am no expert.
Yeah, I repitched on Tuesday night, and had a rocket of a ferm going by Wednesday morning. It has slowed dramatically now and is going to sit in time out for a few weeks. Smells great thought.

Old 06-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #258
SpaghettiMonster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hate to post another ‘no fermentation yet’ post but I just needed a little reassurance. I’m doing my first batch using my set up with a fridge and temp control. I’ve got the control set to keep it at 62 degrees (the instructions were to keep it between 57 and 72 degrees. Normally I’ve always had no problem with seeing plenty of airlock action. I broke my Hydrometer before I got a OG reading. The few times I’ve pushed down on the lid I get a few bubbles so I think I’m ok. (I brewed Monday morning) Does dropping the temp that low, previously my temps were probably low 70’s, slow up the visible fermentation that much? Should I be worried about temps being too low? Thanks

Old 06-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #259
kenstogie
Recipes 

I am no expert but I don't think you should be worried and I am pretty sure a lower temp slows the fermentation speed. It'll kick in if you have faith in the beer gods.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:14 AM   #260
SpaghettiMonster
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

OK just checked and I'm get a nice steady bubble every few seconds.

Quick Reply