Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pitching warm can lead to off flavors, but hopefully your temperature got down before fermentation started and will minimize the "offness". unless it was too hot (like 110) and it killed the yeast. do you have signs of fermentation yet? have you gotten your temperatures under control? do what you can, but know that whatever you do you will probably still end up with beer. and most likely it will be drinkable, dare i say good beer!

rycov said:
pitching warm can lead to off flavors, but hopefully your temperature got down before fermentation started and will minimize the "offness". unless it was too hot (like 110) and it killed the yeast. do you have signs of fermentation yet? have you gotten your temperatures under control? do what you can, but know that whatever you do you will probably still end up with beer. and most likely it will be drinkable, dare i say good beer!

So far, I do not have bubbling in the air lock. Should I open it up and check it out? What happens if it killed the yeast? Thanks for your help!!

how long has it been since you pitched? if you did kill your yeast then you just add more and hope you sanitized well. if you haven't given it 72 hours then i would wait. if you have then i would check you SG before acting. once you've checked your SG (and if it hasn't dropped) then i would repitch.

rycov said:
how long has it been since you pitched? if you did kill your yeast then you just add more and hope you sanitized well. if you haven't given it 72 hours then i would wait. if you have then i would check you SG before acting. once you've checked your SG (and if it hasn't dropped) then i would repitch.

It's been since Sunday evening. So we're talking about 4 days. I'll check my SG. Thank u for the help.

So far, I do not have bubbling in the air lock. Should I open it up and check it out? What happens if it killed the yeast? Thanks for your help!!

If you're in a bucket don't be surprised if you don't have a tight seal on the lid. Open the lid and take a peek inside, if you see strange fluffy **** resembling anything from beer foam, to brain coral you're good and going. If you don't use a santized wine thief or turkey bastor and pull a sample to check the gravity. I get antsy after 36 hours, after 4 days I would be on that bucket like a fat kid on the bench.

If you're in a bucket don't be surprised if you don't have a tight seal on the lid. Open the lid and take a peek inside, if you see strange fluffy **** resembling anything from beer foam, to brain coral you're good and going. If you don't use a santized wine thief or turkey bastor and pull a sample to check the gravity. I get antsy after 36 hours, after 4 days I would be on that bucket like a fat kid on the bench.

Here you go, what do you think. To me? As a noob? it looks like it did something right? beer.jpg

Yes, because it looks exactly like when the previous night's chili does something to me. Just looking at it is making my bunghole burn.

+1
thats gunk on the side is called krausen. it means you have fermentation. enjoy your beer!

How stupid of me was it to get nervous that my beer wasn't fermenting ENOUGH and start moving the bucket around a bit to rouse things up? Airlock activity didn't start 'til about 24 hrs after pitching Munich Wheat dry...when it started it was slow and only lasted about 24 hrs, I wasn't satisfied like a greedy prick. I opened the lid and took a peak - nice little foam layer on top. Did I give it brain damage from shaking it around a bit?

you wouldn't shake your baby would you? don't shake your beer! but no you didn't give it brain damage. if you shook it up before fermentation started then the o2 will be used up by the yeast. if you shook it up after (with the lid still on) then there should have been only co2 in there anyway. RDWHAHB

Weird. Brewed an IPA on Monday and pitched WLP001 from a starter. Nice looking krausen in a day but I haven't noticed any bubbling. I double checked, and all seems snug with the lid and airlock. I'm going to do nothing at this point since patience has served me well so far...

First post here but I've been taking a lot of advice from the forums for the past several weeks leading up to my first brew. I have been talking about brewing for some time now and my wife finally said "just do it already." Not one to take baby steps, but one to certainly prepare for things meticulously, I converted our Rubbermaid cooler into a mashing tun and my first brew followed a clone recipe for Red Hook ESB. I hope I'm not overly confident right now, but I'm not sure things could have gone much better on brew day.

Friday night I cleaned my equipment like crazy. Saturday morning, I cleaned again, rendering everything spotless. Then I sanitized anything that could potentially come in contact with the wort. After an hour of soaking the grains (I don't have my notes in front of me, but thinking it was at 159 degrees or so), I drained the liquid and it was the exact color I expected. The hops additions were fun since there were a few throughout the hour boil, the only thing that really had me scratching my head was when I transferred my wort into the fermenting bucket, is it okay to leave transfer the hops as well? Or are you supposed to strain those out? Regardless, I had activated my Wyeast about 4.5 hours before my wort got to the fermenting bucket, so I added my yeast, then filled to 5 gallons with purified water, aerated, plugged, etc.

I had read several thoughts on an ideal bubbling time during the fermentation process, so I was pleased when I checked my bucket 12 hours later and noticed that it was absolutely bubbling, which excites me. However, I live outside of Phoenix where it is hot as hell right now, and keeping the room at the proper temperature is next too impossible, if not financially feasible. My home is a massive two story place that runs a summer electric bill of $500/month with the air set at 79. What I've done is put my fermenting container inside a large plastic tub, filled the tub about halfway with ice water, and then soaked a towel in the ice water before wrapping that towel over the fermenting bucket. I don't think the thermometer I have set inside the tub is giving an accurate read, but it's sitting around 75 degrees in that room. I also have a small fan perched at an angle over that tub, and the ceiling fan is on high, about 8 feet above the top of the fermenting bucket. Do you believe that I should be okay if I add ice each day and resoak the towel periodically?

as far as your fermentation cooler that works just fine. many people here do it, its called a swamp cooler. only thing i can think of is that mash temp is kinda high. probably expect a sweet beer. a higher mash temp will result in more unfermentable sugars. my usually temps are closer to 152. also don't worry about the bubbles in the airlock. mine usually bubbles pretty good, but sometimes not so much. the beer comes out great either way. congrats on your first beer! i started out with extract, but i can always appreciate when some one mans up and goes all grain from the start! welcome to the forum :mug:

rycov said:
probably expect a sweet beer. a higher mash temp will result in more unfermentable sugars.

Mashing high doesn't make beer any sweeter. It gives a fuller body, and a lower ABV. Yes, it results in more unfermentable sugars, but these complex sugars/dextrins have almost no sweetness at all.

Appreciate the feedback and I'll certainly keep everybody posted. Again, I was just going from the numbers that jumped in my head, but from the notes I was actually right in the 158 zone for the mashing. I hope it'll turn out well, was certainly enjoyable--so much so that my wife is insisting I pick up a glass carboy this week to brew another batch over the weekend. With college football around the corner, could become a Saturday thing!

So here is a question for you veterans: My brew uses Irish Ale Wyeast which I've read is notorious for working quickly. How soon after fermentation begins would you recommend I take a gravity reading?

Most of what I have read and follow in my short time brewing is to wait at least 10-14 days after pitching then take readings 2 days apart until you get identical numbers . Then most say leave it there for another week or two then keg or bottle then wait another 2-3 weeks....

I was intending on waiting until Sunday to take a gravity reading on my brew, but the folks at the shop I buy ingredients encouraged me to give it a look and take a reading today. So, I finally did and I must admit I am super excited. The guys told me that given it hit a record of 117 today and I'm utilizing a swamp cooler mixed with the fast acting Irish Ale yeast that it likely won't take two weeks. Well, my target is 1.015 and I'm right at 1.02, down from just a touch over 1.05. The beer looked awesome, didn't give off any funky smells or anything, just looked like that wonderful Red Hook ESB I was going after.

First question for the forum. I'm on my 5th batch - 2nd hefe - and used WLP300 yeast. I noticed activity within 8 hours of pitching, so I moved the bucket to my basement (constant 62-64 degrees). By that evening, 10 hours later, it was going crazy. I had to switch out my airlock and clean every 30 min until 11 pm ... it looked like a airstone in an aquarium - yes, the bubbles were coming that fast! This morning the airlock is bubbling about once every 6 seconds. My first batch of hefeweizen got a bit "active", but nothing like this. Is this normal? Is it possible for the yeast to play out too quickly? Oh, and a bit off topic, do you guys secondary ferment hefes? Thanks!

Used a Wyeast pilsner smack pack for a batch on Saturday (Now Monday evening). Never got the typical swelling, but pitched anyway. No SG change since I pitched. I'm still hoping it will take off, but since I have little access to yeast in the next day or so and definitely have no access to the same one I used, I am wondering what my alternatives are. Is there any problem just adding another lager year to my fermenter? Are any yeasts more compatible with each other?

Adding another lager yeast would be a great idea - can't hurt.

Though, if you've got it down to lager pitching temps (i.e., 50F), it'd be ok to wait it out. I've had the same concerns and raised the temp a bit (this worked, but who's to say it wasn't gonna take off anyway).

Great message. I am a new brewer and it did take 72 hours before I saw any signs of fermentation and I was worried! But now i have a very active batch and am looking forward to my very first bottle of homebrew.

Don't worry if your brew takes up to 3 days to show signs fermenting.
Especially if you used liquid yeast and didn't make a big starter and oxygenate.
It is also worth noting that no bubbles in the air lock does not mean it isn't fermenting.

If at 3 days nothing seems to of happened then take a gravity reading to make sure you haven't missed the fermentation.
It is preferable to have a brew start fermenting as soon as possible
If you follow correct and advised procedures then I say most brews see activity in 6 to 18 hours. If this doesn't happen then it doesn't mean you've done anything wrong. You may just not be seeing it or it's taking it's time.

It is quite common for new brewers to get worried after 24 hours to 48 hours.
They get told to wait and then realise that the advice was correct.

First brew, and worried - Home Brew Forums

Wow. As a fairly new brewer I was worried. Every time I've brewed fermentation has showed visible signs within 24 hours or so. This time it really took 72 hours. That's what this thread is all about. Read it learn it. Know it.

Wow. As a fairly new brewer I was worried. Every time I've brewed fermentation has showed visible signs within 24 hours or so. This time it really took 72 hours. That's what this thread is all about. Read it learn it. Know it.

+1:tank:

Have probably over pitched every batch so far, did 4th batch last night and had just bottled 1st batch prior to that. last night's batch was showing no signs of anything this morning. Spent the whole day contemplating pitching a pouch of safale S-04 when I got home but when I got home and checked there was a really healthy looking foam on top.:ban:

This forum has the answers that help a newb, cultivate a bit of confidence in the yeast and wort to do their thing successfully and, learn the art of patience.
:tank:

First question for the forum. I'm on my 5th batch - 2nd hefe - and used WLP300 yeast. I noticed activity within 8 hours of pitching, so I moved the bucket to my basement (constant 62-64 degrees). By that evening, 10 hours later, it was going crazy. I had to switch out my airlock and clean every 30 min until 11 pm ... it looked like a airstone in an aquarium - yes, the bubbles were coming that fast! This morning the airlock is bubbling about once every 6 seconds. My first batch of hefeweizen got a bit "active", but nothing like this. Is this normal? Is it possible for the yeast to play out too quickly? Oh, and a bit off topic, do you guys secondary ferment hefes? Thanks!

yeah it happens. you can't really predict how active fermentation will be. some yeast are more prone to it than others, and it seems that higher temps will have more active fermentations. its nothing to worry about though, your beer will still be fine. next time rig up a blow off tube, then you won't have to keep changing out airlocks.

I used Nottingham dry yeast for the first time ever. I seem to remember reading something negative about that yeast. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It's been 48 hours and no krausen. It's never taken longer than 12-15 hours to see the signs. I understand it can take longer, but I don't want to sacrafice the quality of my beer just so I can be a "believer" Should I re-pitch?...if so same stuff? I have some -04 in the closet

thanks!

I used Nottingham dry yeast for the first time ever. I seem to remember reading something negative about that yeast. Anyone know what I'm talking about? It's been 48 hours and no krausen. It's never taken longer than 12-15 hours to see the signs. I understand it can take longer, but I don't want to sacrafice the quality of my beer just so I can be a "believer" Should I re-pitch?...if so same stuff? I have some -04 in the closet

thanks!

Pitch more yeast. It can't hurt anything. And for gods sake stop panicking. S-04 is a good sub. Go ahead and sprinkle it on unless you understand how to rehydrate dry yeast.

No one is panicking lol. Just dug out my -04 and it has mold all over the package so I'm not risking that. Try another Nottingham?

No one is panicking lol. Just dug out my -04 and it has mold all over the package so I'm not risking that. Try another Nottingham?

Sure, go for the Notty. BTW, I was part of that "bad lot #" Notty scare. Had my issue with it and won't ever use it again. Hope that isn't your problem, becasuse not only did the Notty take forever to start fermenting, it resulted in a fairly nasty beer.

I have just brewed my first batch. I am concerned that the brew looks the same now (48 hours in) as it did when I shortly after I poured it into the carboy. I am concerned that maybe the yeast didnt work properly. I used dry yeast and was told to put it in a cup of 90 degree water before adding it to the carboy. A website I read said the yeast should foam up but it didnt. Is my batch ruined? should I throw some more yeast in? I have attached a photo. Please advise, very concerned.

IMG_6503.jpg

I have just brewed my first batch. I am concerned that the brew looks the same now (48 hours in) as it did when I shortly after I poured it into the carboy. I am concerned that maybe the yeast didnt work properly.

I understand your concern. I would advise waiting another day, and -- just in case -- get another packet of the yeast that you originally used.

How did you get the water to 90*? It may be possible that your water was a little (or a lot) on the hot side, as it doesn't look like much has happened.

I boiled the water and let it cool (probably not enough) before adding the yeast. What temp would you recommend for using when i re-pitch?

I boiled the water and let it cool (probably not enough) before adding the yeast. What temp would you recommend for using when i re-pitch?

I would actually throw it in a fridge / freezer myself. If I boiled it.

I just use tap water through a Brita water filter, add some fermentables, and pitch the yeast in that. I also give it a few hours to let it build some (or a lot) of foam.

How long did you let the yeast hydrate (approximately) and was there any foam, like when you're making bread?

I let it hydrate for about 10 to 20 minutes. So cold water is better for the yeast? What do you mean by fermentables?

Back