Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2008, 01:12 AM   #111
adamjab19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arneba28
it will be fine

thanks for the quick and short answer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2008, 02:00 PM   #112
Eves
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm using a Coopers Kit with the Coopers pre-hopped beer kits. Its almost like cheating but I figure its a decent start for a beginner. Anyways...

My first batch was the Lager that comes with the kit. Before I put the yeast in my OG was 1.032 (I am guessing I didn't stir well enough). I put the yeast in at about 24C/75F. It took a few minutes to get the lid sealed right but a little food grade plumbers grease fixed the problem. Its been a couple weeks but I could have sworn the airlock was showing activity after just an hour or two. Plus there was significant krausen at the top of the fermenter for days. After 8 days (FG: 1.010) I bottled (keep in mind this is a Coopers kit) and I hope to enjoy my first homemade brew in the coming weeks.

So my second batch was another Coopers pre-hopped beer kit (Bitter). This time I put a little more effort into mixing the wort before checking the OG and was happy to see 1.042. Which is what I expected. So I pitched the dry Coopers yeast at 26C/78F (still within the 21-27C Coopers recommends) sealed it up and left it.

After about 5 hours there was virtually no airlock activity and I started to worry. Thank god for this site. I found this thread and was happy to know that everything could be fine and this is probably the way the first one should have gone. The next day the airlock activity improved to a noticable level and my airlock fears are gone. So I now know that airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean much. However, what about the krausen? After 18 hours there is airlock activity but absolutely no krausen on the top of the beer.

Is Krausen, or lack there of, a 'reliable' indication of fermentation?

EDIT: Turns out my fermenter has quite a 'head' on it. I couldn't see it in the fermenter as I had with the first batch probably because I had moved my primary to a darker location. It took a flashlight shining right on it before I could see a hint of the krausen

Old 05-04-2008, 10:53 PM   #113
mr_bell
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default How long does fermentation last?

This was a great post. I just did my first batch, the English Bitter kit from Midwest, on Friday (night). The bubbles started about 12 hours later, which I thought was quick, but seems about right according to the posts here.

The bubbling has now stopped (now Sunday about 6 central time) or at least slowed quite significantly. So is this normal? How long should one expect to see bubbling out of the airlock, in general? For what it's worth the yeast was Wyeast Brittish ale.

Old 06-09-2008, 03:54 AM   #114
andrew jerusalem
Recipes 

Its been 36 hours and still no sign of bubbling. I stirred the mixture after adding the yeast. Could that be a problem?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #115
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew jerusalem View Post
Its been 36 hours and still no sign of bubbling. I stirred the mixture after adding the yeast. Could that be a problem?
No....All stirring did was mix the yeast into the beer.

And does it say is the title of this thread? How many hours has it been

Bubbling means little to the fermentation process, the only way to tell is with a hydromenter. Wait a few days and take a hydrometer reading.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 07-14-2008, 09:20 PM   #116
Skivvo
Recipes 

Heya all, Im a noobie to actually brewing but Im a baker by trade so have abit of an understanding about the whole process, albeit a little different working from a liquid medium... Anyway no queries today, just wanted to give a thumbs up to all you brew meisters out there helping each other out on the forums, underling the fundamental mateship of a good beer!

Old 07-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #117
eforrest
Recipes 

Hey everyone – here's another fermentation question. We just brewed up a batch of 1.071 OG IPA (our first), and everything went perfectly until we pitched our yeast. We forgot that you had to remove the yeast from the fridge several hours before pitching, and since we put it away in the fermenter (cold yeast into about 70˚ wort...), nothing has happened. It's sat all night at about 70-65˚, getting close to 24 hours now, and there's no movement, no bubbling, no yeast collection – nothing.

We're worried that we shocked the yeast (White Labs California V liquid yeast), and that we'll have to re-pitch it. Is this the case, and is it worth worrying about yet? Or should we wait longer? I know that the advice is generally to wait, but we're worried about the cold yeast factor. If we have to re-pitch, how much will that cold, dead yeast affect our flavor?

Old 07-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #118
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2749 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by eforrest View Post
Hey everyone – here's another fermentation question. We just brewed up a batch of 1.071 OG IPA (our first), and everything went perfectly until we pitched our yeast. We forgot that you had to remove the yeast from the fridge several hours before pitching, and since we put it away in the fermenter (cold yeast into about 70˚ wort...), nothing has happened. It's sat all night at about 70-65˚, getting close to 24 hours now, and there's no movement, no bubbling, no yeast collection – nothing.

We're worried that we shocked the yeast (White Labs California V liquid yeast), and that we'll have to re-pitch it. Is this the case, and is it worth worrying about yet? Or should we wait longer? I know that the advice is generally to wait, but we're worried about the cold yeast factor. If we have to re-pitch, how much will that cold, dead yeast affect our flavor?
More than likely everything is fine, and you will just have a long lag time, as the yeasties come up to fermentation temperature. The yeast won't die unless they get boiled, if they get too cold they just will go to sleep...pitching them into your wort probably woke them up.

Don't repitch...wait 72 hours, don't rely on the airlock...take a hydro reading...and mostly relax...the yeasts and your beer are hardier than most n00bs give them credit for.

if you did have to repitch anydead yeast becomes yeast food....so you would never notice.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 08-05-2008, 01:46 AM   #119
pcolson
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default so...

if my lager airlock is slowly bubbling its nothing to worry about? i pitched it friday and its been slowly bubbling since 12 hours after that its at 50 degrees... and i did not make a starter at all i use a Wyeast smack pack 2206 Bavarian.

Patrick

Old 08-05-2008, 01:14 PM   #120
MN_Jay
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I fell victim to the dead yeast. Entirely my own fault but I could not pass on a surprise opportunity to brew. Friday afternoon, I found out our plans got cancelled for that night so at 5:00 I pulled the wyeast smack pack out of the fridge and smacked it. Brewed that night and pitched at about 9:00. I noticed even then that there was no swelling of the smack pack but pitched it anway. This morning - 81 hours later there still was no activity so I pitched a pack of nottinghams I had on standby. I guess asking the yeast to make the trip from Austin, TX to Minnesota in the dead of summer was a little too much to ask. I know, I should have made a starter but I couldn't resist the last minute opportunity to brew. Lesson learned.

Quick Reply