Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2014, 01:28 AM   #1091
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 227 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzenel View Post
what is the best way to take a sample? I just don't want to dip something in there do I.
i, and i think a lot of others, use a wine thief for this purpose. it's a little gadget designed for exactly this purpose. a sanitized turkey baster also works. a simple mug properly sanitized can work as well.

don't return the sample, it goes to the gods.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-12-2014, 01:46 AM   #1092
franzenel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

thanks

Old 07-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #1093
MikeBergan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
plus the wife won't let me start a second one until the first one is being consumed.
Franzenel,
You need to educate SWMBO on the timing of beer,and the absolute need to keep the pipeline working, this means you start the next batch fermenting once you have available containers, like right after you bottle the first batch (or rack it to a secondary, depending on your process plan)

Attention, please, for a very important announcement...

BEER!!!

That is all

Old 07-18-2014, 11:24 AM   #1094
franzenel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I did start a batch of Apfelwein for her so now she has something to look forward too. She likes beer but has gotten a gluten sensitivity and really can't drink it anymore. She loves wine and hard cider so I thought I would get a batch of Apfelwein going and maybe carbonate half of it. But she already told me that I will need to back sweeten it as she is not a dry wine kind of gal.

Old 07-18-2014, 11:38 AM   #1095
thaymond
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzenel View Post
I did start a batch of Apfelwein for her so now she has something to look forward too. She likes beer but has gotten a gluten sensitivity and really can't drink it anymore. She loves wine and hard cider so I thought I would get a batch of Apfelwein going and maybe carbonate half of it. But she already told me that I will need to back sweeten it as she is not a dry wine kind of gal.
Franzenel: I do the exact same thing for the same reason. My wife developed a nasty gluten intolerance after our daughter was born. I did a lot of research on ciders because they are gluten free and she likes them. She loved beer before so ciders were a natural progression.

I've noticed that without yeast nutrient, ciders take forever to ferment. I usually start a new batch for her as soon as I keg the last one.

If you want it sweeter, try some sucralose. I bought our local Dominicks out before it closed. I have a good 30 bottles of it just for this reason when I bottle her cider.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #1096
franzenel
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

what about lactose for sweetener? and is there a thread that talk about how much to use?

Old 07-29-2014, 01:14 AM   #1097
JustinBeerber
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I know it takes up to 72hr, but, now that it's been 24hr and my beer looks flatter than a tweaker's butt, I'm questioning when I pitched the yeast. I brewed a Belgium witbier extract kit from NB, but I didn't know about smacking my pack days in advance of brewing, so I smacked it and it did swell, just not that much. I pitched it about 5 hours after smacking the pack. It was a yellowy liquid. How much swell should I have before the yeast is good. Am I over reacting? 3rd brew.

Old 07-29-2014, 01:42 AM   #1098
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 138 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinBeerber View Post
I know it takes up to 72hr, but, now that it's been 24hr and my beer looks flatter than a tweaker's butt, I'm questioning when I pitched the yeast. I brewed a Belgium witbier extract kit from NB, but I didn't know about smacking my pack days in advance of brewing, so I smacked it and it did swell, just not that much. I pitched it about 5 hours after smacking the pack. It was a yellowy liquid. How much swell should I have before the yeast is good. Am I over reacting? 3rd brew.

As long as it was viable yeast and not excessively long past it's prime you just need to give it time to do its thing. I'd be willing to bet tomorrow or the next day you find a thick krausen on top and your yeast happily chugging away. If you are concerned with the lag in yeastly activity you could make a starter to ensure your yeast are viable and active which will reduce your lag time waiting for signs. Of fermentation.

Sent from somewhere to someone

Beer Plus Science = .....Good!!!!! By: Adam Savage

Old 07-29-2014, 02:05 AM   #1099
JustinBeerber
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Thanks G Swill. I assume since the pack did inflate some, it's working, just slowly.

Here's the juice

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406599493.079656.jpg
Looks like a huge pitcher of sun tea

Old 07-30-2014, 04:24 AM   #1100
JustinBeerber
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Default Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

...and lesson learned. Fermentation can take up to 72 hours to show.
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1406693778.328387.jpg
48 hrs later (one on the left).

Quick Reply