New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermeneter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2008, 02:13 PM   #101
Tom Anderson
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I also have a question about fermentation times as a new brewer...third batch now in primary. English Ale. First two, Flat Tyre Too....and excellent too!
I used a White Labs English Ale yeast and it took 36 hrs before fermentation really got going (via airlock action). When I pitched the yeast it may not have been at room temp and I didn't do anything with the wort after I pitched the yeast. This is my first time using liquid yeast and the container says 5-15 hours. I'm wondering what happened? The wort did cool to about 68 for the first day, now it's up to 72. Is it because I didn't aerate the wort? Temp differences between yeast and wort? Thanks for any information!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #102
CurtFlood

Recipes 

I'm going to keg my first batch of homebrew this week, so hopefully my repitching of the yeast won't add too many ill-effects. Oh well....my hopes are set pretty low since it's my first batch. However, I did just order another recipe kit - a sweet stout extract kit from Austin Homebrewing - I'm hoping it taste more like Left Hand Milk Stout and less like Quick.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:19 AM   #103
mhdfj2
Recipes 

Default Over 48 hours and no signs of activity..

I brewed my beer on Thursday night and still have yet to see any signs of activity in my airlock. Should I be worried or is this normal? The only reason I am worried is that 1. this is my first batch and 2. when i pitched my yeast my wort was around 60 degrees. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:27 AM   #104
Bob869007
Mmmmm Beer!

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Read the thread

that says fermentation could take 24-72 hours. I'd be worried though if'n it was me. Then again, I'm on my first brew but, it only took 15 hours to start showing some activity. Is it an ale or a lager? Need more info bro. What temp range does your yeast packet say it works at? 60 degrees could be a bit low.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:35 AM   #105
blap37
Recipes 

Has anyone had a problem with back pressure during primary? It's been about 24 hours since i pitched and no evidence of fermentation; however, my airlock keeps empting into the carboy (Yikes)...starting to worry me a bit.

Old 03-03-2008, 03:52 AM   #106
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts

worts cooling down, reducing presure and casuing back flow.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/dennys-quick-dirty-faq-153729/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Taproom_Facebook_Repository

Old 04-02-2008, 03:56 PM   #107
Johnnyv
Recipes 

Hello ,this is my first post ,Im glad I found this site it`s awesome, But I have a question, im brewing My first bach of lager and I chilled the wort to 65 degrees before adding the liquid yeast smack pack ,then refridgerated it to 46 degrees,its been 48 hours and still no bubbles..... My question is does the low temperature make it take longer to start ? does lager yeast take longer to start? is it a combination of the two? also if I wait a week and there is no activity is it ok to repitch another pack of yeast? im thinking that the smack pack wasnt good because I smacked it 4 hours prior to pitching and it never swelled. Thank`s

Old 04-02-2008, 04:35 PM   #108
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2657 Times on 1602 Posts
Likes Given: 3446

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyv
Hello ,this is my first post ,Im glad I found this site it`s awesome, But I have a question, im brewing My first bach of lager and I chilled the wort to 65 degrees before adding the liquid yeast smack pack ,then refridgerated it to 46 degrees,its been 48 hours and still no bubbles..... My question is does the low temperature make it take longer to start ? does lager yeast take longer to start? is it a combination of the two? also if I wait a week and there is no activity is it ok to repitch another pack of yeast? im thinking that the smack pack wasnt good because I smacked it 4 hours prior to pitching and it never swelled. Thank`s

Airlock activity or lack or is not a true indication of fermentation, your hydro is the only way to tell...Some beers bubble, some don't... The only way to tell is to take a reading...

Low temps do slow fermentation...

Next time you smack a pack you should make a starter...

I've just looked at the temp ranges of various lager yeasts and it looks like the range is 48-65 depending on the yeast you used...so 46 may be too low for the yeast you used....it will take eventually, but if the bottom end of your lager yeast was in the 50's it will take longer, so check the range for your brand of yeast..

You may need to bring the temp up a few degrees and it will jumpstart.

If you've done that and still nothing changes on the hydrometer after a couple readings then you could repitch...although I'm not a fan of doing it myself. In ales, usually just rousing the yeasts and warming the fermenter gets them going, but I can't say about lagers....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-21-2008, 12:33 AM   #109
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

is pitching yeast at 80 degrees too high? kind of rushed it... the wort with yeast has since cooled down to 72 degrees. I know patience iskey here but just curious for some opinions.

thanks in advance.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:40 AM   #110
Arneba28

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

it will be fine

Quick Reply