Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #1011
Rufus_T_Firefly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I just searched for the "No fermentation after XX hours, what do I do?" Thread and found this one and several others. As recommended, I pulled a sample after 40 hours with no blowoff and no bubbles in the airlock. I could see activity before I even checked the gravity. It's got a head and plenty of CO2 bubbles.

It even tastes sorta like beer. It's my first brew from a Cooper's English Bitter Ale kit. Assuming it gets better from this point, it won't be half bad when finished. Good to have someplace to get some of the details left out of the books.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2013, 01:10 PM   #1012
saeroner
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Just came in to post that my 4th batch was going on 60 hours in the carboy with NO signs at all. The wort looked like flat iced tea -- no bubbles ay all. I left it alone. Did not open it up and waited like everyone said.

When I got home from work at 70 hours - BOOM! activity.

I was very relieved.

Now i understand the meaning of RDWHAHB

Old 09-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #1013
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

The last 2 batches I've brewed have used US-05. I've started cooling my wort much more before pitching, so I am getting it down to about 64 where I intend to ferment, where before I was pitching as soon as I got the wort in the bucket in the high 70s and letting it cool with the yeast in it.

Anyway, these last 2 batches have taken about 36 - 40 hours to start fermenting. The 1st one, I pitched the yeast dry. The second, I re-hydrated and also used yeast nutrient. No difference. Is the slow starting caused entirely by the cooler wort? Is there anything I can and/or should do to get it started quicker, possibly pitch a little warmer?

The original post says "It is preferable to have a brew start fermenting as soon as possible. If you follow correct and advised procedures then I say most brews see activity in 6 to 18 hours." I'd like to get into the optimal time-frame if possible.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #1014
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 300

dave8274 - define "start fermenting"

if i pitch in the 59-62 range and hold the temp there, lag time is usually 24-36 hours for me with rehydrated yeast and using pure oxygen. this is time until i see bubbles on the surface of the wort. bubbles from the airlock may not happen for another 12 hours.

lag time is less if pitching an active starter. can't say i've noticed a difference in the finished beer.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #1015
dave8274
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Thanks. I was defining it as airlock activity. I know airlock activity isn't always the best indicator, but my buckets do have tight seals. Sounds like I have about the same lag time as you do.

Old 09-30-2013, 07:36 PM   #1016
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8274
Thanks. I was defining it as airlock activity. I know airlock activity isn't always the best indicator, but my buckets do have tight seals. Sounds like I have about the same lag time as you do.
And the yeast isn't sitting there doing nothing during that 'lag' time. They are consuming oxygen and reproducing. It has nothing to do with your beer being protected or not. They will protect their territory just as aggressively as they do during their anaerobic phase.

Old 10-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #1017
progmac
Sponsor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 225 Times on 184 Posts
Likes Given: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave8274 View Post
i'm incredibly guilty of 'peeking.' i probably open my beer two or three times within the first 36 hours. i like to smell it and check for bubbles on the surface. much as i feel like i can taste the gravity of wort, i feel like i can smell how far along fermentation is.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:58 AM   #1018
hopsfan76
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by progmac View Post
i'm incredibly guilty of 'peeking.' i probably open my beer two or three times within the first 36 hours. i like to smell it and check for bubbles on the surface. much as i feel like i can taste the gravity of wort, i feel like i can smell how far along fermentation is.
good to know im not the only one who needs to peak and take a whiff of my beer.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #1019
WoodsonNoles
Recipes 

Time for me to be a noob:

So I did my first ever brew Monday night in my apartment using the NB deluxe kit (Irish Red Ale). Storing the carboy in my guest bathroom (dark, 76* in my apartment) . The brew went well, the only place I may have faltered is cooling the wort down (ran out of ice), I had it cool but not sure cool enough. Monday night and into Tuesday there was a lot going on in the carboy. Some foam lot of bubbles in the wort, etc. No bubbles up in the airlock though. Each day since has been fewer and fewer activity (bubbles in the wort smaller and less frequently). Now it looks like what is attached. Just some small gatherings of bubbles. I've never had anything going on (bubbling) in the airlock so I am starting to get nervous. I didn't get anything in the kit to take a reading so I'm looking for help (or someone to say everything looks fine give it another week and then move on to the second fermentor dude).

photo-10.jpg   photo-11.jpg  

Old 10-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #1020
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 274 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 39

It looks fine but your 78F is too high. There will likely be some solvent flavors in there. In the future, pay attention to your yeast's optimum range and try to get it at least 5F below the maximum.

Quick Reply