Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation can take 24 to 72 hrs to show visible signs.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #991
51dimes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Having some first time anxieties here

I made a gallon of brown ale from a starter kit on Thursday. The first day, it was very active, actually blowing off the air lock and spilling over the top. I put some vodka in the airlock and put it back in there, and since then it hasn't done a whole lot. Today I noticed sort of a foam at the bottom of the carboy, which threw me off a bit. I thought that foam (krausen, I guess would be the technical term) started at the top.

Part of me thinks, "everything you've read says be patient and wait" and another part is, "my beer! What's happening to it?"

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2013, 11:37 AM   #992
owentp
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am having the same problem. I normally see activity within 8-10 hours & then in the morning it is going crazy. I made 2 batches of same beer a day apart. The one from yesterday is bubbling. The first one still nothing but there is a heavy krausen on top. I may have a leaking airlock as I retrofit it with a bung and 90 d barb to hose in water.

Should I be worried? This has only happened one other time but it finally took off after 28-30 hours. It has now been almost 30 hours and nothing.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:05 PM   #993
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51dimes View Post
I made a gallon of brown ale from a starter kit on Thursday. The first day, it was very active, actually blowing off the air lock and spilling over the top. I put some vodka in the airlock and put it back in there, and since then it hasn't done a whole lot. Today I noticed sort of a foam at the bottom of the carboy, which threw me off a bit. I thought that foam (krausen, I guess would be the technical term) started at the top.

Part of me thinks, "everything you've read says be patient and wait" and another part is, "my beer! What's happening to it?"
The bottom? A picture would help, but I'd guess it's a mixture of flocculated yeast and trub settling after primary ferment.

What was the yeast strain?

How much yeast did you pitch for the gallon batch?

What was the wort temp when you inoculated it?

There's nothing you can do about the beer now in regards to these questions, I'm simply curious.

Old 06-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #994
Hugh_Jass
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by owentp View Post
I am having the same problem. I normally see activity within 8-10 hours & then in the morning it is going crazy. I made 2 batches of same beer a day apart. The one from yesterday is bubbling. The first one still nothing but there is a heavy krausen on top. I may have a leaking airlock as I retrofit it with a bung and 90 d barb to hose in water.

Should I be worried? This has only happened one other time but it finally took off after 28-30 hours. It has now been almost 30 hours and nothing.
If there's krausen, it's fermenting. Let it go a week to 10 days from the time you pitched and take a gravity reading. I'd bet it's done in that time frame.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #995
Matt0112
Recipes 

I am a new brewer and new to the site. My first batch showed signs of fermenting within 18 hours (bubbles in the air lock). I am on my 4th day of fermenting, should I still have signs of bubbles in the air lock?

Old 06-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #996
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt0112
I am a new brewer and new to the site. My first batch showed signs of fermenting within 18 hours (bubbles in the air lock). I am on my 4th day of fermenting, should I still have signs of bubbles in the air lock?
Bubbles are meaningless. Wait 2 more weeks and measure a sample with a hydrometer. Wait 3 more days and measure another sample. If both hydrometer readings are the same and within a couple points of expected Final Gravity, you are safe to bottle.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #997
femme_brewer
Recipes 

Default How long to wait before checking SG?

I made my first brew almost 48 hrs ago now. It's a brown ale and I used S-05 as the yeast. During clean up, I realized that the bucket I was using as primary wasn't completely sealed (probably ~45 min). There was a smell similar to that of bread rising so I took that as a good sign at the time. But since sealing it completely, I've seen no bubbles in the airlock. The temperature should have been constant at 73.

How long should I wait before opening it and checking on it? Also, should I be concerned about contamination since it was unsealed?

Thanks!

Old 07-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #998
bleme
Recipes 

Liked 273 Times on 203 Posts
Likes Given: 39

About 1 in 4 of my buckets don't seal well. Your excess CO2 is probably going out a leak instead of your airlock. You can usually tell through the bucket if there is a krausen. You might need a flashlight.

I've never had a problem with a leaky seal, but I usually don't use those buckets in a swamp cooler as I tend to get mold growth under the tshirt and there's no real point in tempting fate.

Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM   #999
cavrecon22
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

New here as well, have the same issue haha

From all the reading I have been doing, bubbles are not a good sole indicator. I am waiting a week myself to make sure.

The popular options seem to be: Wait, sneak a peek, re-pitch after a few days. I have considered all of them...

So far the best advice I received was: check for yeast or beer aroma, peak for krausen, wait...

best of luck!

Old 07-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #1000
BaronVonMclaughlin
Recipes 

I'm sure this has been asked before but I cant seem to find it - started my first brew on friday night, was bubbling away all day saturday and sunday but it seems to have stopped today (monday), seems to be no activity at all - is that normal?

Quick Reply