Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation Bin Infection

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2010, 05:19 AM   #1
ned
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation Bin Infection

Hello Chaps.
I bottled some wheat beer last week and cleaned out the fermentation bin with detergent and put it away. I took out the bin to use today and the bin smelled of mould. I cleaned it with detergent and used sodium metabisulphite on it twice but the plastic still smells off.
Has anyone any ideas of what is causing the smell and what I can do about it?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #2
BBKing
Recipes 

Liked 52 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 12

No clue what the detergent is about. IMHO, STOP THAT!
Secondly, I'm an idiot when it comes to huge names like Sodium Metabisulphite (I doubt I even spelled that right), so I'm no help there. I'm sure someone will come along.

Mold though, I can help with. I'm so lazy sometimes that I dont even clean out my brewing kettle until the night before a brew. Mold is something I'm familiar with.

Dish-soap (yes I cringe at the thought also) followed by a couple nice rinses followed by some sanitizer. The morning of my brew, I like to give it what I've dubbed "The Boy Scout Treatment" (as learned in boy scouts of course)...what you do is: Rinse with the hottest water you can muster, scrub real quick with a rag, then rinse with the coldest water you have. Then re-do some sanitizing action, let sit while you brew and do your thing.

My method may be somewhat ghetto, but I've never had a problem in a year and a half.

Good luck to you Kiwi

Old 04-04-2010, 06:46 AM   #3
Scooby_Brew
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Just wash it in some bleach water and you good to go

Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #4
studmonk3y
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If you're talking about a plastic fermentation container, make sure you don't use anything rough to clean it. Scouring pads or even the rough side of a sponge will put minute scratches in the plastic giving bacteria plenty of places to hide that you won't be able to sanitize. The most labor free process involves giving it a good hot soak in napisan (oxyclean in the states) and use a soft cloth or sponge to wipe it clean after a good rinsing. Then sanitize of course before adding another batch. Sodium metabisulphate is not a good no rinse sanitizer, I'd recommend star san or idophor.

Quick Reply