New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
bel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Fermentation

So I boiled my first batch. Brewers best extract iPa. Put it in the primary at 6pm last Saturday. Bubbler was working hard from Sunday night until yesterday(one bubble per second). Today I'm seeing one bubble about every 15 seconds. When should I rack into secondary?
Thanks in advance

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 12:33 AM   #2
Weizer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Do you need to rack to secondary? I.E. are you dry hopping? A lot of people will argue and say secondary fermentation isn't necessary. I've read many threads on here promoting a 30 day primary and bottling/kegging after 30 days.

Any time I dry hop I do 1 week in primary, 7-10 day dry hop and bottle condition for 3 weeks. All but a couple of experimental batches have turned out excellent..just my 2 cents.

Primary 1: IIPA(Simcoe/Citra)
Primary 2: California Common
Secondary 1: Infected batch with Lactobacillus
Bottled: HBC 342 XPA, WLP670 Saison
Kegged: Orange Blossom Honey Ale, Red Ale

Instagram: Ibleedhops

I shotgun heady topper.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #3
Calder
Recipes 

Liked 222 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Leave it where it is for at least another week. leaving it on the yeast allows the yeast to clean up some undesirable flavors they created during fermentation such as diacetyl, and acetaldehyde (butter and apple flavors).

If you move the beer off the yeast too soon it can take a long time to clean up and might not at all.

Old 02-08-2013, 12:38 AM   #4
brettg20
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calder View Post
Leave it where it is for at least another week. leaving it on the yeast allows the yeast to clean up some undesirable flavors they created during fermentation such as diacetyl, and acetaldehyde (butter and apple flavors).

If you move the beer off the yeast too soon it can take a long time to clean up and might not at all.
Exactly, leave in primary at least 2 weeks regardless if you are dryhopping or not, I assume you are if you brewed an IPA

Old 02-08-2013, 01:09 AM   #5
bel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Not dry hopping but most people I talked to said primary until bubbler goes quiet then secondary for three or four weeks to clear the brew and get better taste. Made sense to me because racking to secondary would leave trub behind. I am thinking of keging because I have all the equipment except for korny so I won't need to bottle condition.

Old 02-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #6
brettg20
Recipes 

Don't go by the airlock. Things are still happening while there aren't any bubbles. Don't do anything until 2 weeks

Old 02-08-2013, 01:16 AM   #7
StophJS
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 8

You will hear different opinions on this matter, but I think you'll find the majority of people on this site will tell you it's completely unnecessary to employ a secondary unless you are dry-hopping or something along those lines. If you aren't, it's really just extra work and one more opportunity to infect your brew, for no perceivable benefit.

Old 02-08-2013, 02:01 AM   #8
bel
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If I don't rack to secondary will I lose any volume. Also, my home brew store owner said when I rack to secondary, fill to five gallons with water. Any thoughts on this?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
brettg20
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bel
If I don't rack to secondary will I lose any volume. Also, my home brew store owner said when I rack to secondary, fill to five gallons with water. Any thoughts on this?
You won't lose any volume. As far as adding water, that is the last thing I would do. What is the reasoning behind that?

Old 02-08-2013, 02:11 AM   #10
jdhasse
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Don't add water! If you do make sure you boil and let it cool however no real reason to do that. Sure it would give you more volume but It makes that volume thinner and adds unneeded risks.

I like to use a secondary to allow the brew to settle out. Plus if you get busy and can't find time to bottle/keg the secondary allows for more flexibility of when you do it since a majority of the inactive yeast has been removed.

Good luck!

Quick Reply