Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ferment temp too high 24hrs too much?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
MicahB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Ferment temp too high 24hrs too much?

Hey all, I have a batch of Caribou Slobber that I brewed last weekend and threw it in a room under the stairs in my basement which usually stays around 66 degrees to ferment. However, when I checked it 24 hours later on Sunday the airlock was bubbling like crazy and the temp in the room was at 72! So I hurried and made room for my primary in my keezer and set the temp up to 65, however, since then I haven't seen a single bubble from the airlock. Now I know Revvy would jump in here and say that my airlock doesn't mean (you know what), but I'm hoping I didn't screw something up with such a high temp start for the yeast and then dropping a good 8 degrees or so. So my question is, have a hurt my yeast with the temp drop, and am I doomed to weird off-flavors due to the high temp snafu? I love moose drool and was really excited when the wife got me this kit for my B-day so I really don't want this batch to be lawn food...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-10-2012, 01:29 AM   #2
passedpawn
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3073 Times on 1932 Posts
Likes Given: 2610

72 isn't that high. Sure, 62 would have been better.

Don't worry about it. Damage is done. Most of the fermentation is probably finished. I doubt you'll have lawn food.

Man, lots of panic on the forum tonight. Chillax everyone - homebrewer's rule the chill world.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
Lemon
Recipes 

No worries. Age it an extra week or two if you want (in my experience extra age mellows high temp off flavors).

Old 08-10-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
HootHootHoot
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I second lemons comment. Age it a little longer. It will taste great!

Old 08-10-2012, 04:04 PM   #5
Wirk
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by passedpawn View Post
72 isn't that high. Sure, 62 would have been better.

Don't worry about it. Damage is done. Most of the fermentation is probably finished. I doubt you'll have lawn food.

Man, lots of panic on the forum tonight. Chillax everyone - homebrewer's rule the chill world.
But 72 is a lot for room temperature, remember that the temperature of the liquid in active fermentation is higher because fermentation is an exothermic reaction. For high gravity beer the differences can be up to 10 degrees at the peak of the process.

But you can't do anything at this point, I wouldn't throw it away, just give it more time to age some off flavours mellow over time.

Also, what yeast did you use?

Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #6
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1855 Times on 1635 Posts
Likes Given: 1329

72F isn'y high at all for the average ale yeast. At the high end on average. All I've gotten from low ferment temps is slower ferment. I did get a tiny hair less fruitiness,but that was it. That,& less likely to need a blow off. Just staying within the yeasts' entire temp range is reasonable.
But I always do let it settle out clear or slightly misty after FG is reached. It cleans up at this same time as well.

Old 08-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 3

how much off-flavors you would have gotten depends on the yeast used, some are more tolerant than others.

when you say u put it into the keezer and set it to 65F, what temp was it before? i'd guess around 40F, so unless you have a heat supply in it, you probably crashed out a bunch of the yeast which is why its been slow since. if so, you may want to gently rock the FV to rouse some of the yeast back into suspension

Old 08-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
MicahB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

I used the Danstar Windsor ale yeast... so maybe a three week primary and one week secondary and it'll be good to keg?

Old 08-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
msarro
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Around here I regularly have to ferment at 76-78 degrees F A) because there's no way to keep a room cool during summer except AC and B) because SWMBO will turn off the AC as soon as I leave the house (she's the type who could be in the middle of a volcano and ask for a sweater), and C) I don't have a fermentation chamber yet. I've never run into any issues, honestly. Could my beers improve that 1 smidge if it was cooler? Probably, however I've never gotten anything but compliments on my results from nonbrewers and brewers alike.

However I do go out of my way to make sure the yeast is pretty tolerant of higher temperatures during summer, and thats really where your issue will lie. What yeast did you use? For all you know your yeast could be fine up past 80 degrees. What yeast, and from who. Then you can take a look at their spec sheet and see the temperature tolerances.

Old 08-11-2012, 12:11 AM   #10
MicahB
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well the temp specs say it should range between 64-70 F

Quick Reply