Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Chance to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Ferment in bottling bucket

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2012, 01:07 PM   #1
new2brew1221
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Ferment in bottling bucket

Does anyone use their bottling bucket to do primary in? My thought was that if it is in there for three weeks or so, I could open the spout to get samples to check FG. Has anyone tried this, does it work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2012, 01:12 PM   #2
cullen
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts

If your bottling bucket has a tight lid and you're sure the spout doesn't leak then it might work. Depending on the amount of sediment you get, though, you might not do well getting samples through the spout.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
duboman
Recipes 

Liked 488 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2brew1221
Does anyone use their bottling bucket to do primary in? My thought was that if it is in there for three weeks or so, I could open the spout to get samples to check FG. Has anyone tried this, does it work?
Sure, lots of people do. In fact some people have spigots on all their buckets so they never have to worry about having a bucket with a spigot available.

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Old 07-08-2012, 01:22 PM   #4
VaBrewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I do it all the time with no issues. The one thing you should do is to take the spigot apart and clean/sanitize beforehand. You probably do this already, but I wanted to reiterate. I put a carboy wedge under the bucket on the spigot side a day prior to racking so the yeast settles down away from the spigot.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #5
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

only problem I can see is mixing in your priming sugar and getting it evenly mixed being that it would be added on top instead of bottom

Old 07-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4663 Times on 3387 Posts
Likes Given: 917

I've done it in a pinch, but the trub was over the level of the spigot so I still took samples the same way, and still racked the beer. If your spigot is higher up than mine is, it would work.

The only thing I'd be super conscious about at this time of year is fruitflies. Once you open the spigot, you'll get some dried beer inside the spigot and if you have any fruitflies, they'll head right for that spot. Since fruitflies tend to carry aceterobacter (among other things) they are my greatest enemy in the summer. We have a garden and always have tomatoes and things in the house and seem to always get some fruitflies this time of year.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #7
cublue
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

All of my fermenters have spigots. The spigot is high enough to clear trub. They are mostly ale pail bottling buckets. I like the spigot because I like gravity to work for me, and not fight it with a siphon. One tip though. To test gravity, on the first test I dump the first, and occasionally the second, sample to clear sediment from the spigot. After that tests are clear.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
BassBeer
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Do any of you use a swamp cooler and have the spigot totally underwater? I'm brewing tomorrow and would like to use my bottling bucket for primary if possible since my actual primary's tied up.

I'm thinking about removing the spigot and sanitizing, cleaning/sanitizing the bucket, putting Star-San in the swamp cooler itself, and wrapping the spigot with Saran wrap and rubberbands.

Think I'll be ok?

Thanks

Old 09-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #9
CKing
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I used my bottling bucket as a primary for years when I first started out and never had a problem.
Had to transfer to secondary so I could use the primary for bottling, but it always worked out great.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
ReverseApacheMaster
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBeer View Post
Do any of you use a swamp cooler and have the spigot totally underwater? I'm brewing tomorrow and would like to use my bottling bucket for primary if possible since my actual primary's tied up.

I'm thinking about removing the spigot and sanitizing, cleaning/sanitizing the bucket, putting Star-San in the swamp cooler itself, and wrapping the spigot with Saran wrap and rubberbands.

Think I'll be ok?

Thanks
Just put the fermentor in a trash bag, then put the trash bag in the swamp cooler. You still have temperature flow but no liquid contact.

Quick Reply