The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Feel like an idiot

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #1
JoCoPoboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Feel like an idiot

well i bottled some brew the other night followed all my instructions well sanitized. I realized I had a fridge out in the Barn that wasn't working so i figured given the cold weather we have had here in NC it would be perfect for lagering since it a dark naturally cool spot so what did i do? stuck them in the freezer only to find that the fridge DID RUN! I came home the next day only to find FROZEN BREW did i kill the yeast I'm sure I did but can i save it some how?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 04:01 AM   #2
Thanlin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Look up John palmers how to brew. If it didn't freeze all the way you should be able to recover. If not thaw and repitch.

Out of curiosity how much of it froze.

Bringing new meaning to "Tacoma Aroma."

Old 01-14-2013, 04:04 AM   #3
signpost
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 433

I'm pretty sure people freeze yeast as a way of storing it for longer durations.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:06 AM   #4
Leadgolem
Drunken Monkey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 958 Times on 735 Posts
Likes Given: 1763

Quote:
Originally Posted by signpost View Post
I'm pretty sure people freeze yeast as a way of storing it for longer durations.
True, though usually with glycerin. It wouldn't hurt to thaw and repitch the yeast.

EDIT: And yes, especially after sobering up...

Old 01-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #5
JoCoPoboy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

i tasted one after it happended it was sweet so i was worried but it didnt freeze solid

Old 01-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #6
tektonjp
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Wait a second. Did you bottling in order to get carbonation? If so, your bottles need to be at about 20C for a couple of weeks in order to prime, then you lager them. You won't get any carbonation putting them in a fridge right away. Carbonation, then lager.

"Beer, well respected and rightly consumed, can be a gift of God. It is one of his mysteries, which it was his delight to conceal and the glory of kings to search out."

The Search for God and Guinness by Stephen Mansfield

Old 01-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #7
Thanlin
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

okay, jocopoby, can you please detail what happened? I think we are just spinning our wheels because we don't have all the details of what happened. Also, It's been 19F at our house here in tacoma at night and my garage is a chilly 25-30 throughout the day. I've had the top part freeze a few times(if you remove it you can increase the alcohol content, thats what I did to my apple cider but I went a little overboard with that.) it recovers and the bubbles keep coming durring the conditioning, albeit not very often.

Bringing new meaning to "Tacoma Aroma."

Quick Reply